Home Forums The Learning Center Teacher’s Toolbox Getting started

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Jon.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    casterle

Sorry to barge into your forum, but I think art teachers will be able to offer the best guidance.

I’m a retired software developer. I’ve spent years using Photoshop to design elements of my UI. Recently I’ve been digging into Photo RAW and found some fascinating tools that have sparked a desire to learn something about creating art.

I have no artistic ability and my lack of small motor control has not encouraged me to pick up a brush over my nearly 70 years. But seeing what can be done with digital compositing, using layers, filter stacks, masking and the other tools I’m finding – without requiring a steady hand – makes we want to learn how the art itself ‘works’ so I can create it myself.

Can someone please suggest an online course or book that will teach me what makes an people like what they see when they look at an image?

And if there’s somewhere better for me to ask this question I’d appreciate a pointer. Thank you!

La_

Welcome to WC!

“What makes people like what they see when they look at an image … ”

There are as many answers to that as there are people … might it be a good idea for you to figure out what You like to look at and produce that?

Landscapes/Seascapes/Skyscapes/Cityscapes, Floral Still life, Wildlife, Pets, Portraits, Day scenes, Night scenes, Bold color, Soft color …. there are endless options … which of them inspire YOU?

la

casterle

Thanks for responding!

> There are as many answers to that as there are people

True, but some things are more broadly appealing than others. I’m looking more for insight into what makes art ‘art’ rather than what subject matter is appealing.

I guess what I want insight into is why I like what I like. Perhaps this is something I won’t be able to learn from a book or class, but only comes with
                years of introspection?

La_

generally, typically, the average person likes recognizable, familiar things … the mountain range they’d travelled, the beach they’d been to or live by, their favorite pet [dead or alive], the flowers they remember from visits to grandmas … … if you’re just getting going, those are good places to start/practice/maybe gift or sell …. good to figure out what you want from a painting [and the process] in order to go through the bother [or thrill] of painting it. perhaps you’re ‘typical’, perhaps you’re not …

landscapes are probably the most forgiving, for beginners, maybe start there and see how it goes.

la

casterle

generally, typically, the average person likes recognizable, familiar things … the mountain range they’d travelled, the beach they’d been to or live by, their favorite pet [dead or alive], the flowers they remember from visits to grandmas … … if you’re just getting going, those are good places to start/practice/maybe gift or sell …. good to figure out what you want from a painting [and the process] in order to go through the bother [or thrill] of painting it. perhaps you’re ‘typical’, perhaps you’re not …

landscapes are probably the most forgiving, for beginners, maybe start there and see how it goes.

la

Thank you, that’s good insight. I’m still early in the ‘learning the tools’ phase so I’ve got lots of time to think about what I ultimately want to create. I like learning new things so the journey will be thrilling regardless of my destination.

RogueRipple

Welcome to WC! This is an interesting topic.

As La mentioned, there are so many variables (including personal taste) that come into play there isn’t really an “answer” to your question.

However, a grasp of the basic fundamentals of design is a good place to start. Here’s a website that covers some of the basics:

https://thevirtualinstructor.com/principles-of-art-design.html

Once you understand the fundamental principles, you’ll better understand how they can be used or ignored/broken to achieve the desired effect.

See also: https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2017/07/13/what-makes-art-art/

- Kelvin

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne

casterle

Welcome to WC! This is an interesting topic.

As La mentioned, there are so many variables (including personal taste) that come into play there isn’t really an “answer” to your question.

However, a grasp of the basic fundamentals of design is a good place to start. Here’s a website that covers some of the basics:

[url]https://thevirtualinstructor.com/principles-of-art-design.html[/url]

Once you understand the fundamental principles, you’ll better understand how they can be used or ignored/broken to achieve the desired effect.

See also: [url]https://m.oxfordeagle.com/2017/07/13/what-makes-art-art/[/url]

Thank you, Kevin! I think both of these sites will help me substantially.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.