WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-29-2000, 11:43 PM
Wakarusa, KS 66545

Hails from United States
Talking My new Pablo Pad :)

I just got my Pablo Pad plugged into my machine. Did some Dabbling in Art Dabbler.
It was kinda weird to work on such a slick surface as the plastic on the pad.
Here is a post of my efforts. The program is a lot different than Adobe stuff.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2000, 07:59 AM
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

You didn't mention if you liked the differeneces compared to Adobe!. If you have a scanner, one thing to explore might be assigning detail work to a scanned drawing, and then using the pad/program to colorize or "paint". I can't draw on my Wacom for anything.

------------------
=======
"Art is anything you can get away with." -- Marshall McLuhan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2000, 10:02 AM
Lewisville, TX

Smile

What about control? Do you feel that you had more control when applying the color etc. as opposed to using the mouse? How large is the pad itself?

Mon
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2000, 10:05 AM
Lewisville, TX

Thumbs up

BTW I like your first effort. :-) I haven't been able to do anything like this yet as I'm new to graphics programs. But it won't be long!

Mon
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2000, 03:12 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by dhenton:
You didn't mention if you liked the differeneces compared to Adobe!. If you have a scanner, one thing to explore might be assigning detail work to a scanned drawing, and then using the pad/program to colorize or "paint". I can't draw on my Wacom for anything.

I'd just like to second this question! See, I do a lot of this (for fun... not my "fine" art). Namely, drawing something, scanning it, and colorizing on the computer. I use a mouse but my husband has been considering getting me a tablet. I keep wondering if it's really worth it, though...? Especially for something I only do for fun.

I like how your tablet-drawn/colored pic turned out... I guess I don't know enough about your paint program to know how much of that is specific to actually using the tablet, and how much is specific to the program itself. What does the tablet let you do that a mouse wouldn't? Is it essentially an ergonomic issue (easier and more familiar to use a pen shape, instead of a mouse shape?) Any feedback appreciated!

If you want to know why I'm asking, here's a mouse-colored pencil sketch... http://www.pixelscapes.com/art/illus...zoameldemi.jpg

I'm hoping that a tablet would make things easier or quicker somehow...

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
http://www.pixelscapes.com

[This message has been edited by pixelscapes (edited March 01, 2000).]
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2000, 11:36 PM

Well, one of the big features of most tablets is pressure sensitivity

Supposedly, this makes the input process more natural. There is the ergonomic advantage, but I think the biggest advantage is the ability to enter into a kind of "artist's state" where you interact with your image--not your mouse. Curved lines are a real bear with a mouse!!

My tablet is a 4 x 5 Wacom. It comes with a copy of Painter Classic, if that helps.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2000, 01:21 AM
Nederland, Texas USA

Hails from United States
I have a 6x8 wacom intuos tablet and stylus at work. I would not enjoy doing graphics without it.

Pix, if you don't have one, you will find it immensely easier for lots of things. I can't believe you can do that kind of quality without a tablet!

A tablet makes it easier for a number of reasons:

1) The pressure sensitivity that Don mentioned

2) The ability for a lot more control: curves are smoother, and you can get more detailed in position easier than with a mouse

3) You can add your own nuances to your creations using these two points

It changes your interaction with the image. You treat it like you would treat it if you were drawing directly on the screen. So nice!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2000, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Cool

Maybe I'll find someone with a tablet who'll let me try it out.

I do think though, that I still manage to enter an artistic state using the mouse as my tool. Maybe I just think it's not difficult because I don't know any better, though. Or maybe it's because I spend so much time doing graphics, it doesn't seem like a struggle!

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2000, 08:53 PM
Wakarusa, KS 66545

Hails from United States
The Art Dabbler program allows for different textures and sizes of various tools, marker, pencil, chalk, crayon, paintbrush, spraycan, etc. And you can also change to various textures for the paper, "Chalk" does some really cool stuff on the textures it's like a rubbing on some of them.

I just tried Adobe PS last night, It wasn't as flowing. I am used to Adobe PS for adjustment of pictures and slight changes, I did like the use of layers and filters. Here is a little bit of playing I did on Adobe PS last night.

I enjoy the interface. The slick texture of the pad surface is going to take some getting used to. But I'm enjoying it anyway. My next step is Illistrator.

My Pablo Pad has 8"x6" working surface. And yes there was a lot more control. The lines were soothly rendered. It makes them look drawn in rather than jerked in. There was a little bit of difference in Adobe and Art Dabbler in that Adobe takes up so much memory to run that sometimes I was moving faster than my Pentium III could render. Maybe I need to allocate more memory to the program.

Pix what program did you use on your slayer picture? Cool graphic.

[This message has been edited by Mellryn (edited March 02, 2000).]
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2000, 12:05 AM
Nederland, Texas USA

Hails from United States
I think it's obvious that you achieve the artistic mode with a mouse!

If that's true, what more can you do with the freedom of the tablet?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2000, 08:18 PM

Let us know how the ILLUSTRATOR goes. I myself would like to see a tutorial in that!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2000, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Mellryn:
Pix what program did you use on your slayer picture? Cool graphic.

I used Photoshop...
If you liked that one, check out this one with added textures! http://www.pixelscapes.com/art/illus...ratapestry.jpg

Or... heck, just go to my illustration index. http://www.pixelscapes.com/art/illustration/

Hmm, maybe I should make a "Coloring and Texturing a line drawing using Photoshop" kinda tutorial... And I'd be sure to say it's much easier with a stylus and pad!

Man, I have so much to do. Gluhhhh...

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2000, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Question

Mellryn, any new revelations or observations now that you've had that pad for a few weeks? I'm terribly curious.

-=- Jen / Pixelscapes
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2000, 03:37 PM
North Dakota, USA

Hails from United States
I,ve been using Corel 4 PP and a Pen Pad on all my work. I tend to favor landscape work. I don't have a stick with it attitude, but enjoy the time I do spend on it. Using a mouse is like using elbow action for all your strokes as compared to the pen, which you can use your other hand to brace just as though using an art brush.