WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Durgapur,West Bengal,India

Hails from India
Again a very quick plein air...

No time to correct and refine things. So please bear with me
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:44 AM
New York City

Hails from United States
Re: Again a very quick plein air...

Yay for plein air!

I think, though, based on this and your other painting where you said the same thing about no time.... do what you can in the time you have. Don't rush. It's better to paint one thing well- even if the whole thing is unfinished- than rush just to say something is finished and apologizing for it.

Show down, you have a lot of good things happening. If time is really such an issue, work paintings in stages. (maybe not plein air tho some people do go back to the same location over a few sessions ) but focus on doing one thing really well.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Durgapur,West Bengal,India

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapeliad
Yay for plein air!

I think, though, based on this and your other painting where you said the same thing about no time.... do what you can in the time you have. Don't rush. It's better to paint one thing well- even if the whole thing is unfinished- than rush just to say something is finished and apologizing for it.

Show down, you have a lot of good things happening. If time is really such an issue, work paintings in stages. (maybe not plein air tho some people do go back to the same location over a few sessions ) but focus on doing one thing really well.

I understand what you say . But there is this challenge going on of doing painting from life every single day. I and i have a total of one and a half hour max. So ....
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 09:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Sounds like quite a challenge, I most surely wouldn’t be doing the challenge, as I am far too easily distracted by things to achieve good work at high speed.

Delofasht
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

Don't rush, try and paint what you're actually seeing.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Hails from United States

The fabric (I assume it's clothes hanging on a line) is quite well done. I would be better if we could see the line they are hanging on, however, as they appear to be floating. Other than that and the upper part of the tree, it's really perfectly acceptable for an hour and a half.

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

So far, so good. One note: Most trees are not brown.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 PM

I see that you are left handed.

If you are pressed for time, and insist on using oils, then may I recommend the wipe out method by Dennis Sheehan (and others). Since you are painting plein aire or alla prima you needn't worry so much about fat over lean (but you can make the oil layer still quite thin either way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUPYFizxeKc

On can just use paper towels even. Block everything in fast and then tune it up. I disagree with him about using Pthalo Green if this will be the underpainting. Its a very powerful pigment and will take over a painting (but it works with his style).
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 10:47 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

An hour and a half is plenty of time.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

I think this has a lot of good things happening. To my eye, it works as an impressionistic/expressionistic piece, and the color is terrific. If you really want to do the plein air challenge, I think you should go for it. There's something to be said for jumping in and getting your feet wet. You're sure to learn a lot on your way, even if you have pieces that are unfinished. One thing you might do is after each painting, analyze what you think worked and what you could have done better - write it down - and then focus on that on the next painting. Also, doing a couple of small sketches to analyze composition and value layout, and working out a basic color scheme before you start painting can be very valuable. It's very hard to do this when you're pressed for time, but, although it seems counterintuitive, it can actually save time, because you won't need to go back and make changes as much. I say all this because a few years ago, with not very much experience in oils at that point, I participated in a Painting-a-Day Monthly Challenge here at WC, hosted by forum guide NancyMP. During that month, I turned out some truly awful paintings, but some good ones too and it really was a turning point for me. My work improved despite those bad paintings.

The wipe out method can be very helpful, but the pthalos would be a mistake, as papercut mentions above, although you do want something transparent. Instead, good paints to use for landscape are burnt sienna, transparent red oxide, or even ultramarine blue.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-13-2018 at 01:26 AM.