WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2018: optional "small" theme!

Grotius; 😁😁😁
your signature feels like a very personal statement. i'm reluctant to say anything! fixing the "Sargent" seems a good idea, though. subjectively, your last name is a blessing, it looks good in writing and the associations to Sherlock Holmes are either a pure plus or don't exist.
gonna wait till the OP sees what you've done, you're in for a jolly rompin', hide cleanin', gnat slappin' talking to, you are!

equinespirit; start here: http://www.justpaint.org/weighing-in...rying-of-oils/

your talent will sell your paintings. delving into the alchemical wonder of oils is part of their charm, and a priviledge. your profession embodies understanding the importance of the minutiae of craft. you have several shortcuts available on your way to fame, for example paints chemically prepared to dry swiftly and uniformly, or mediums.
search terms for your studies: oil paint drying; oil paint curing; pigments in oil curing times; oil paint different oils curing; earth pigments in oil curing; oil paint mother color; oil paint titanium white curing; oil paint tints curing time; oil paint mixing earth pigments.

it sounds like a lot, but, seriously, why wouldn't it be? just get started. in the meanwhile, paint, paint, paint!! (and please post the paintings ☺)

(((i keep my name out so it feels wrong to call you folks by yours, do you know how i mean?)))

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso

Last edited by ronsu18 : 09-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

oh and i still wasn't finished, the Liquin Impasto is an alkyd medium, if used as a spot in the middle of oils, it dries quickly to an inert state; while oils around it first expand then shrink. this may cause problems somewhere down the line.

Last edited by ronsu18 : 09-11-2018 at 12:51 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:15 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Its like having a personal librarian thank you Ronsu
You are also amazingly lovely thank you you have too much faith though, I literally have no idea at all what Im doing
I was trying to keep things simple, my time with painting is limited especially now with the run up to christmas.
I was originally going to just paint from the tube but its too tacky for much of what I want so I need a medium.
But I also wanted to do thick bits sometimes on the surface.
Maybe if I use W&N liquin original for the smooth bits and Liquin impasto for the bumpy bits in the same painting?
Mostly Im using a 2/3 solvent 1/3 oil with either stand oil or saffron oil atm- not in the same painting but the same in each layer apart from the first which is a solvent wash.

I have nothing to post as Im working on a portrait and a seascape both from photos.
If the weather cools again I may go and paint some more clouds though, too hot for me atm, silly weather.

Anyway , must stop taking over the thread or Grotius will put me in the naughty corner

www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

t1barcode, nice to see you again and glad to hear youíre doing well. Nice start on the figure with a good composition - I like the idea of the long format. I agree her head is a little too small though, and it also seems there are other issues. For instance, on the first painting, her waist is indicated somewhat by a indentation in the line of her side, but thatís lost in the second version and her shoulder also seems larger in comparison to her body. And, there also seems to be an issue with her legs - the near one seems to be coming toward us at an angle that would mean her torso is much too long. Itís very, very hard to paint the figure from memory and even a photo will distort things somewhat. Perhaps you could analyze the photo a little more to get things back on track - maybe even print it out and trace over it to see the differences between it and your painting. The brushwork - your signature brushwork - works well and I like the color scheme youíve used with the blue-green background setting off the color of her skin. Sorry if I seem too critical here, but itís what I would want myself and I know youíre very serious about painting so I took the risk and hope youíre OK with it.

Sarah, Oh, new brushes - lucky you! Good for you to jump into a plein air right on your doorstep. I like it and it seems to represent what is seen in the photo very well. It seems you made great progress for just two hours. Itís way further along than I would be if painting the same scene. The clouds are well done. Nice work! And I agree with Geoff - what a fabulous scene to have right out your door. Iím surprised thatís in the UK though, as it looks to me a lot like the desert Southwest here in the states.

Geoff, Iíve just completed some adventures in varnishing that took me forever because of some sunken areas. It took me many tries to finally get it right and I was so glad to find that Gamblin makes a satin version of their Gamvar because the regular gloss version was way too glossy. I hope your experiences went better than mine did! Itís raining here now too. What happened to the summer? Between cloudy/rainy days, 90 degree days and smoke, I wasnít able to get out and paint much at all. And now summer is almost over.

Sarah, as you may have realized, Iím always suggesting books to people, and I bet you would get a lot out of Suzanne Brookerís The Elements of Landscape Oil Painting: Techniques for Rendering Sky, Terrain, Trees, and Water - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-La.../dp/B00Q1IFLCW Unlike many books on landscape paintings, she has chapters on each element in the landscape, including skies. Also, there are impasto mediums that donít have some of the issues of Liquin Impasto. For instance, Natural Pigments impasto medium is made without solvent and doesnít dry tacky. Also, what brand of paint are you using? I know some manufacturers put driers in their paints, and since you say that even your paint right out of the tube has a drying problem, I'm wondering if that may be the issue for you.

BTW, thanks, ronsu, for your advice about the use of Liquin Imapsto and paints with driers. A while ago, I did a painting in which I used three materials which were new to me: salnut alkyd medium (I think itís the alkyd in Liquin that makes it dry faster), Prussian blue paint, and linseed oil (I generally use walnut oil but was trying to finish the painting quickly and didnít want the slow drying of walnut oil) This created a perfect stom of problems for me, with the paint seemingly drying on the brush before I could place it on the surface. At the time, I hadnít realized that Prussian blue was so quick drying. It ended up taking me way longer to finish than if I had not tried to speed things up!

Geoff, I like all the signatures! Youíve chosen good colors to paint them in too, so that they blend with the rest of the work.

I don't have any work from life to show, although I've got a few paintings in the works. Right now, I'm just hoping I'll get at least a few nice days for plein air here in Western Washington before the dreary winter weather starts in...

ďLife is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.Ē
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

AnnieA, sorry to hear your story, but those are the important stories. "perfect storm" sounds like perfect summation. i agree with your detective work.

equinespirit; 😦 for having to wait, but c'est la vie and we all know it. oils you can post in your own thread in oils and cross post in seascapes 😉.

plein air high!
scratched this before start, photo outdoors in current light:
Name:  20180911_200446-1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  130.9 KB
(unbecomingly besotted with my nondescript grounds these days)

started 40min after sunset, clouds reflecting mood, light; thick rain clouds swallowing the landscape during painting. it was a losing battle, i was an animated blur swishing & swooshing, unable to see color, with one thought: v a l u e.

45min study, oil on fabriano 4,4"x6", photo indoors
Name:  20180911_204746-1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  220.4 KB

😌
Name:  20180911_205651-1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  143.2 KB

Last edited by ronsu18 : 09-11-2018 at 03:34 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I love those flowers Ronsu!
Great colours and lovely swoosh brushwork!
Good job you were working in oils if those are raindrops lol

Thanks so much Annie, I will order that book.
Im living in Portugal now hence the scenery and also I think the issue with paints drying so quickly- solvent evaporates at a crazy rate.
Im mostly using Senneliers , I bought a set of them as I liked their pastels.
They have a safflower oil base so I wouldn't have thought they should dry unusually quickly?
Although Ive just bought some Gamblin and Old Holland and from what I can tell so far the consistency seems to vary more by individual colour than brand?

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Brilliant thanks Annie, will put clove oil on the shopping list!

They probably are , I know they have safflower oil anyway.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:02 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

ronsu, what art the little droplets on the second image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinespirit
I love those flowers Ronsu!
Great colours and lovely swoosh brushwork!
Good job you were working in oils if those are raindrops lol

Thanks so much Annie, I will order that book.
Im living in Portugal now hence the scenery and also I think the issue with paints drying so quickly- solvent evaporates at a crazy rate.
Im mostly using Senneliers , I bought a set of them as I liked their pastels.
They have a safflower oil base so I wouldn't have thought they should dry unusually quickly?
Although Ive just bought some Gamblin and Old Holland and from what I can tell so far the consistency seems to vary more by individual colour than brand?
Aah, I didn't think that looked like the UK! I think you'll like the Brooker book. Those Senneliers wouldn't happen to be the Rive Gauche line, would they? The Rive Gauches are newish paints, and, even though they're safflower oil based, are said to dry much faster. I'm not certain what's the vehicle that causes the quick drying. If you've got those, that could be why you're having difficulties. I don't know if Sennelier adds driers to their other lines. You'll find there are some pigments that will always lead to faster drying, generally no matter what the brand. Both Prussian blue, and particularly the Umbers, are notorious for this.

But you said "consistency," not "drying rate," didn't you. Yes, that varies quite a bit per manufacturer and also sometimes within manufacturers' lines (I've read this is the case with Old Holland), although some make an effort to have the consistency...well, consistent. Gamblin paints tend to have a similar consistency across the entire line.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-11-2018 at 05:09 PM.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:12 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Brilliant thanks Annie, will put clove oil on the shopping list!

They probably are , I know they have safflower oil anyway.

Somehow this got posted before my post to which you're replying! When I saw I had mistaken your "consistency" question for a "drying rate" question, I went back and edited out some of my comment. Anyway, I hope you got the part about not adding clove oil to your paint, as it can cause cracking. If you want to slow drying, you might consider using walnut or safflower oil instead of linseed. And, instead of OMS, you could try oil of spike lavender, which evaporates much more slowly. But be forewarned, it can be difficult to get used to and also is quite expensive, although because it's an incredibly strong solvent, a little goes a very long way.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

thank you equinespirit and AnnieA!

yes it's raindrops on palette, the painting looked the same, the paper didn't buckle at all!

re: sennelier, maybe check their MSDS online and look for driers. i'm only guessing, but i've worked w transparent mussinis w safflower = driers = not alkyd compatible. maybe even test thin and thick swatches for drying speed on their own? i have sennelier oil pastels as well, five stars!

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

You are both so helpful thank you Ronsu and Annie!
Yes, I got that the clove oil goes on cotton wool in a sealed box with the palette thats really useful thank you as everything has usually dried out the next day and ends up wasted.
I suppose its consistency and drying, the paints get thicker as Im working even with the solvent/oil mix which I think is evaporation of the solvents so will definitely try the oil of spike lavender thank you.
Some of the paints are workable out of the tube for a while but others are too thick straight away without something mixed in.
Safflower oil/solvent is slower but then it takes 2 days to dry before I can work it again which is a pain if Im glazing but not so much if I just have touch ups.

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:16 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsu18
thank you equinespirit and AnnieA!

yes it's raindrops on palette, the painting looked the same, the paper didn't buckle at all!

re: sennelier, maybe check their MSDS online and look for driers. i'm only guessing, but i've worked w transparent mussinis w safflower = driers = not alkyd compatible. maybe even test thin and thick swatches for drying speed on their own? i have sennelier oil pastels as well, five stars!
Ronsu, I'm curious about what sort of oil painting paper you use for it to resist water so well. Also, it's always good to do your own tests on your materials, but there's also a straighforward statement on the Sennelier website, and also on the Blick description for the paints, saying that the Rive Gauche Oils were made to dry fast.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-11-2018 at 08:20 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I had to go and check but mine are their standard ones not the Rive Gauche.
Also, Sennelier sell an Alkyd for use with them so that should hopefully be ok.
Gosh, pastels were far less complicated haha

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
I had to go and check but mine are their standard ones not the Rive Gauche.
Also, Sennelier sell an Alkyd for use with them so that should hopefully be ok.
Gosh, pastels were far less complicated haha
Well, that's good that they're not the Rive Gauche ones. I've bought a few but then I don't live in a climate that's typically as how as where you are. I used to use pastels myself. The issues were more complicated for me! And then you have to have a billion different sticks just to complete one painting. But I kept my Sennelier oil pastels, which I still love.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 04:29 AM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Well we *could* have a billion oil colours now, I was amazed at how many there are!
I have been sensible and only added a few transparents to my set of 12 so far, makes life less complicated.