WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2018: optional "small" theme!

I totally agree with that Annie, I wouldn't even enquire if there are no prices listed tbh.
Especially with art which can be wild varying.
I actually find it strange that so many people still have it for sale with no indication of price but if thats working for them fair enough I guess.
Personally I don't think prices should be negotiable in any case,not unless the starting point is well above costs plus hourly rate.

Ronsu, thats my problem, I love tiny brushwork and detail in paintings so Im doomed really.
I still haven't painted anything.... I will contribute soon though...

www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

re: prices, the discussion is ongoing. it's important how you build your brand as a gallery or an independent artist. every little bit matters, from the venue for purchase to the intended group of collectors.

equinespirit, you do what your heart wants, were lucky to see the results!

emptied the pallette yesterday looking through the window. the sun was low, the light unusual. edited (darkened) the worse area digitally. this turned out as well as the flower so, posting. for some reason i like this one, only i didn't use medium. when it's dry this angle of light won't return. keeping it! ☺

oli on fabriano 6"x9" with a digitall edit to darken the bottom part
Name:  2018-09-08 13.39.47.png
Views: 118
Size:  334.6 KB

have a great weekend everyone!

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso

Last edited by ronsu18 : 09-08-2018 at 08:09 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

piling on.

two WIPs. the landscape turned into a project despite cloudless skies and completely different light. (yay.) while it feels a litlle too strained already, it still needs more bright sunlight on the tallest tree tops; the glowing grasses need shadow near roots.
the second one is a revenge on yellow . flowers are plein air, bg just grounding for now.
oil on fabriano both 6"x9" but cropped for posting.
Name:  20180908_213813-1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  210.2 KB
Name:  20180908_213946-1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  114.6 KB

addendum AnnieA, thank you so much!

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

Ronsu, you are on a roll! I'm really liking the directions you're taking your work. It's growing and flowering, like the flowers in your paintings.

Annie, once again you've posted a wonderful link. I posted a comment in the link because I need advice on what to do! I do not (yet) list prices on my website. I'd like to do so eventually, but I've hesitated because I have this show coming up in November, and I'd like to show and sell my best stuff to my friends and family who'll be there. (I'm expecting a decent crowd!) Also, my Grand Plan has been to get through the show, then approach galleries armed with evidence that I can indeed sell my work. I worry that listing prices might turn off galleries, who'll think my prices are too low. My thinking was I'd take a run at galleries; if I get in, great; if not, then I list prices on my site. What do you think?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

thank you so much! it's this perfect challenge of yours, i can sit down at a table without it affecting the work, arms resting at table top. at the end of the day i'm not dead but filled with questions. chores are piling up though......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
might turn off galleries, who'll think my prices are too low.
isn't that one of the cardinal sins? before anything else, find a way to sell at real prices and have your loved ones in on the game where they know exactly what to do to buy and not to talk about it outside of home. can somebody help, how to value your paintings... if this someone is a professional, maybe a secret pm to Grotius? it is difficult and relative but not impossible.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Hey guys! Stopping in to say hello to my favorite little nook of Wetcanvas! I miss y'all! Anyways, I decided to share with you what is currently on my easel. Unfortunately, I don't think it necessarily falls into the "small" theme, although (and you can't really tell from the painting because there isn't much to judge the relative size of things) my model here did have a petite type of body, which I suppose I may be able to use that to slide this into the small theme by technicality

Unfortunately, I did not have very much time with this model. I really enjoyed her pose, it reminds me of the classic Titanic type of sketch. Paint me like one of your French girls haha. She was very cozy and comfortable and decided to just nod out while I painted. My only concern is that it may look like I roofy'd some innocent, unsuspecting female lol! I'm sorry, not funny.

Anyways, like I said I didn't have as much access to this model as I desired. I got about 1.5 hours with her live. My first painting I am posting here is as far as I got painting her from life. She let me snap a photo though, so I was able to continue the painting without her, using my quick sketch, memory, and photo as reference.

The quick sketch was painted on an 11" x 14" linen panel. The second painting is where I am currently at on this project. It is painted on an 11" x 26" panel. I felt the long, narrow panel size was more complimenting to the composition. Both of them oils of course. I am still not finished. I believe that her head is too small in proportion to the rest of her body (another reason to be eligible for the small theme?). Also, I feel like I need to describe the comfy, quilt covered bed she is lying on a bit more. Since it is still a WIP, I have not titled anything yet.

C&C is welcome. I hope all is well with all of you folks dwelling in this oil from life thread. Thank you Grotius, for continuing the upkeep of it
Attached Images

Last edited by t1barkode : 09-08-2018 at 08:39 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 02:10 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Those are coming along nicely Ronsu, looks like you have some good texture in them both.
That is also starting to take shape t1barcode, I like the way you have painted the book, I think her head is definitely too small which is interesting as it wasn't when you sketched it from life.

I finally got to play with my new brushes, oils and easel today
I didn't have long so I decided to set up just outside my front door and paint the view.
It was supposed to be a really quick one
I wanted to finish in 2 hours but this is 2 hours in and still lots to do, mind you it would have been an actual miracle if I finished a painting in 2 hours
Its on 12" by 10" canvas from a canvas pad so I won't spend too much time on it.
Mostly I wanted to paint the clouds and actually I am calling them finished
The great thing about painting right outside my door is I took a chair and a little table with me.

This is the actual view, albeit from a slightly different angle so you can see I wasn't going for any accuracy

Last edited by equinespirit : 09-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

T1, great to see you back here! We've missed you! I hope you come back to post more. And don't worry about the "small" theme; as you say, a petite model fits the bill fine. I like your paintings, and yes, I prefer the wider form-factor of the second one. (But I've never used an 11x26 panel; I thought 12x24 was the more standard size. Interesting.) That's an open book by her, then? In the first, it could be a laptop, but the second painting seems pretty clearly to depict a book. Also, when you said "Titanic", did you mean Titian, because that's who I thought of when I saw this awesome pose. Anyway, great job as always!

Equinespirit (or is it Sarah?), if that's the view out your back door, I'm really envious! Lots of expansive space, great choices of subject-matter. The clouds look fantastic -- don't mess with them! Really great. I'm intrigued by the structure in the distance. It looks a little like the tower of Mordor from the Lord of the Rings. What is it, exactly? My eye tends to focus on that, so if you want to give it more detail, go for it! I think the trees look good, but I'd suggest making a few of the trunks shorter, as many (though not all) of the trees in your photo seem to have big canopies compared to their trunks. I struggle with this sort of thing mightily: My instructors are always bugging me to vary the shape and spacing of trees. Anyway, I think it's already a very successful painting, especially the clouds and the odd building in the distance; you could sign it now and declare victory.

It's raining cats and dogs here, so yet another day with no plein air. If this keeps up, I'll do a still life, lol. For now, I'm still busy signing and varnishing anyway.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Thank you so much Grotius !
Yes, its Sarah

I do like the clouds, its the first time Ive tried painting them from life and of course they kept changing on me but I realised I could just pick out shapes as I went and no matter that they changed so that was a really useful exercise.
Reading Ronsu's earlier comment about looking through a camera to work out the composition made me realise that was my problem, I had no clear idea when I started where the boundaries were going to be so ended up a bit confused.
When you work from a photo its much easier to ascertain that from the start.
With my last landscape I took a photo first and worked that out before I started.

We aren't actually sure whether the tower is an old windmill or an old lookout tower, we suspect the latter as there are several all in line at the highest points.

I was being lazy with the tree trunks tbh, I was using large brushes for everything today and only two of them, except the tower, I did get a little one out for that.
My brush control needs work as its only my 5th time using brushes so I figured a big brush would be useful practise ( I worked in pastels before)

I used some W&N impasto medium for the white in the clouds and was wondering , for future use, can you paint over it and what oil ratio would you use?
Ie is it fat or lean?

Sorry for the essay....

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

equinespirit happy birthday and many many more!
already visualising the end result of your homestead project, this is going to be so good!

Grotius, winslet poses for dicaprio in titanic starting w that sentence

t1barcode i'm into abstract and the sketch has a startling purity in line and color from the blue shapes to the venetian shoulder, supported by the black line. it's too bad you lost kate but it makes for a different kind of exercise. hope to see the next stage!

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Sarah, I've never used impasto medium, so I have no clue, lol. Let us know if you learn the answer.

Ronsu, believe it or not, I've only seen snippets of "Titanic." Well, both Titian and Titanic fit, I think.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Thanks Ronsu

Im not going to finish that one, I will do it again from a more organised start I think, working on a portrait now for a friend and have no clue what Im doing LOL

Thanks Grotius, its actually dry to touch this morning so clearly quite a quick one.
Stand oil mix with solvent is usually more or less dry the next day here too.
Safflower, which I used for the first time yesterday is very definitely not dry...

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Liquin impasto
best used throughout the entire painting from start to finish.
max 20% impasto in mixes
consistent proportion in mixes layer by layer.
regulate glazes by wiping/pressing/patting/drybrushing the new paint, wait to dry, paint&etc again.
like someone here on wc said (my bet's on Gigalot), it's glue.
do not use with paints containing driers, especially cobalt (schmincke mussini)
drier + drier = eternal swamp, tack, ick. 10yrs to dry and it'll ruin your Rosemarys!
recommended on rigid surfaces not canvas.
it's the bee's knees but don't breathe it, dry painting away from mammals

Last edited by ronsu18 : 09-10-2018 at 06:09 PM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast

I've been adding signatures to many of my paintings this week. The paintings themselves are from life, but the signatures are obviously more abstract! Nonetheless, I thought I'd share a few signatures for fun. These things certainly fit this month's theme: most of them are tiny!

First, the simple approach: last name only, block letters. Here's an example from a portrait. "Mallina," detail. This excerpt is about 1" x 2." I did the portrait months ago, but I added the signature just today, so it's sort of a current oil-from-life painting detail. Sort of. I hope the guy running this thread doesn't reject the submission.

Here's a more fulsome signature. "Apple with construction paper," a still life I did a while ago.

"Fourth Presbyterian Church, Bethesda," 6" x 6," 2017. Normally I sign in the lower-right, but in this case I felt there was more room lower-left.

Same painting, detail. The signature looks sort of eerie up close.

Here's one that isn't from life by any definition, so this is going to get me in trouble with the guy who runs this thread, Grotius. But it's fun to show: it's a copy of Sargent's "Lady Astor," so I had to sign it "After Sargent." (I've posted the full painting over in the Master Copy section of this forum, if you're curious. I can dig up a link if someone's dying to see it. It's actually pretty good!) Hmm, do I need to touch up the SARGENT?

Finally, here's the signature from the very first oil painting I ever did -- a still life, painted from life. "Wine and apples," 11" x 14" (detail), oil on canvas, 2006. Interestingly, I signed with cursive, which ideally I prefer. Maybe I'll go back to this style for my next batch. I can do it if I scratch into a wet painting with a sharpened butt-end of a paintbrush, but some people say that approach isn't archival.

It took me all day to put signatures on a couple dozen paintings! Crazy. Back at it tomorrow.

Last edited by Grotius : 09-11-2018 at 12:20 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 AM
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Thats helpful thanks Ronsu, seems strange though:
"
best used throughout the entire painting from start to finish.
consistent proportion in mixes layer by layer."

Kinda ruins the point of it really? I thought the idea was just to use thicker paint areas on bits you want to bring out, like the white in the clouds?

Geoff, I feel your pain, I read a thread on here before doing my first sig with a brush and ended up going for just my initials