WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 01:27 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter As the Oily Rag Burns..... September 2018

Spontaneous combustion in this thread!!! Post your non-oil works...photos..or just come and chat...Everyone is welcome...!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 11:34 AM
A WC! Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... September 2018

Happy Caturday!!!

Skeez is better, but I think she brought home a virus, Mia was congested this morning.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

That cartoon is BRILLIANT And soooo fitting..
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 06:15 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I had to laugh out loud at the cartoon you posted!

Himself took our new kitten in to the doctor, and she said he had fleas, and that she also needed us to get a stool sample from him and bring it back. I suggested that we put him in the cat carrier until we get one, she said that's not what she needs. She also wants to see all four cats! We only have one cat carrier...

Today's cryptoquote:

"I don't do things for the response or the controversy. I just live my life." ---Rihanna

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 07:10 PM
A WC! Legend

The vet probably suspects the new kitten gave them all fleas and possibly worms.

Perhaps you can just get some cardboard cat carriers from the pet store. Petsmart stores in your area has them for $10.00 apiece.

You might want to call to find out how many they have in stock.
(not sure if the following link will take you to the store site in Midwest City):
https://www.petsmart.com/cat/crates-...rier-5396.html
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 07:44 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
The vet probably suspects the new kitten gave them all fleas and possibly worms.

Perhaps you can just get some cardboard cat carriers from the pet store. Petsmart stores in your area has them for $10.00 apiece.

You might want to call to find out how many they have in stock.
(not sure if the following link will take you to the store site in Midwest City):
https://www.petsmart.com/cat/crates-...rier-5396.html

Marcia, that's my favorite cat shopping store; I get my cat food there, too. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll go up there Monday, er, that's Labor Day, so I'll go Tuesday and ask about the boxes.

Oh, great! the door to the bedroom was left open and Himself says they were all on the bed. Now I suspect our bed may give us fleas!

I have a doctors app coming up, so maybe he could deflea me? Just kidding - We'll take some long showers in the morning.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 09:01 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca, thanks for posting September's thread.

Marcia, great cat photo and great idea about the cardboard carriers for Nancy's cats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Marcia, that's my favorite cat shopping store; I get my cat food there, too. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll go up there Monday, er, that's Labor Day, so I'll go Tuesday and ask about the boxes.

Oh, great! the door to the bedroom was left open and Himself says they were all on the bed. Now I suspect our bed may give us fleas!

I have a doctors app coming up, so maybe he could deflea me? Just kidding - We'll take some long showers in the morning.
Nancy, why don't you call now and put whatever many carriers you need on hold. That way, you won't have made a trip for nothing if they're out. And btw, I was grocery shopping today, and noticed that bonito flakes where I was were cheaper than in the pet store.

I just finished a very long adventure in varnishing. I had temporarily taken back a painting I sold last year because at the time of the sale it wasn't dry enough to varnish. But the Gamvar Gloss I first used just didn't look right, and it also didn't seem to be able to even out the sunken areas (I'm never using Raw Umber again!) and so I removed it. Then, I tried oiling out and my first and second try didn't look right and also didn't really do the job of evening out the surface. I had to undo it right away. Finally, I got some Gamvar Satin, and it's perfect now! Whew! I was so worried that I'd ruin the painting. I'm just hoping the purchasers will understand why I've had it so long.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-01-2018 at 09:10 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 11:43 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

That's strange, Becca. I haven't opened any friend requests from people I don't already know, so maybe this person has somehow hacked into my account. I'll check it out.

Annie, I'm glad you mentioned Gamvar Satin. None of my paintings have any varnish, but if any of my clients want vanish, it's nice to have the right stuff to do it with.

Do any of you know the price for kindles these days? I accidentally dropped mine into the bathtub, which killed it. Warning: do not read from a kindle when you having a good soak...

Last edited by NancyMP : 09-01-2018 at 11:51 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
That's strange, Becca. I haven't opened any friend requests from people I don't already know, so maybe this person has somehow hacked into my account. I'll check it out.

Annie, I'm glad you mentioned Gamvar Satin. None of my paintings have any varnish, but if any of my clients want vanish, it's nice to have the right stuff to do it with.

Do any of you know the price for kindles these days? I accidentally dropped mine into the bathtub, which killed it. Warning: do not read from a kindle when you having a good soak...

Yes, I think you'll like the Gamvar Satin - it hits the perfect sweet spot between gloss and matte. Too bad about your Kindle.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 09-02-2018 at 12:09 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 11:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Mia seems to be less congested today, and more active. She spent yesterday in her cat bed, a place she rarely goes for very long. For the weekend at least, I am going to treat her like anyone with a head cold, lots of rest, decongestant, and fluids. Skeezix isn't quite yet eating as much as usual, but she caught a lizard first thing this morning, another good sign. An unexpected bounus: since they get their meds and hand feeding on the dining table, I suspect they will be less inclined to go up there voluntarily.

Nancy, if you go to amazon, type in refurbished kindle, to get a good deal on a replacement. Sorry yours drowned, that is really a bummer.

Speaking of baths, yesterday I finally got to inaugurate the clawfoot tub that we moved here from the old place last week before I left for Santa Fe. Being able to soak neck deep in a tub without my knees or other appendages sticking out of the water.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 07:45 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I remember those claw foot tubs; it will be sooo nice to have your knees covered with warm water, too!

I think it might be better, since there's only two humans here, to take two cats in, and get another appointment for the last two. I'm going to call her and see if that would work; and that way we wouldn't be trying to take four cats in at once. Her waiting room is only about four by six feet, and it's always so packed that we almost have to sit on each other. She's getting very old, but she's the best, most caring cat lady than anyone we've ever gone to.

Today's Cryptoquote:

"Too bad that all the people who know how to run the country are driving cabs and cutting hair." ---George Burns

...and a Sunday quote: "I wasn't brought up in a religious way, but I believe there's something out there that looks after you."
---David Beckham

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 09:12 PM
A WC! Legend

Nancy, I guess it really depends on the cats, some travel well, while others get carsick, sing the song of their People, etc. You know your cats best! I am glad you have a vet you can trust. Mine is retiring, but the vet he sold his practie to is young, caring and just a joy. Others must agree, because it can be hard to get an appointment! The vets and staff at the VCA chain of clinics are good too, so I guess we are lucky here. Except for having to drive 70 miles on weekends or after hours when there is an emergency. This is the first year since I got Skeezix speutered 8 years ago that I have had to take the girls in for anything, but they are sure making up for lost time! Skeez is supposed to have a followup this week, and Marvel has an appointment at the end of the month for her speutering. I am getting a voucher from the county though, so it will only cost $25 (and the cat goddess Melissa who rescued her, is paying for it, bless her).

Here is a pic of the tub when we moved it in. Since it is outdoors, I fill it with a hose (connected to the clothes washer's hot water when I need hot water), so I stuck a tile over the plumbing holes with silicone, so I can fill it up to the top. Who cares if the water slops over the edge, right? If I ever have a bathroom to put it in though and want to plumb it properly, the tile will come off fairly easily.

It's funny (or not, depending on your POV), but people are getting bigger, yet things like bathtubs and airliner seats are getting smaller. What's up with that?!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 11:52 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, it looks great! I hope Skeezix keeps getting better, and I'm glad to hear she's better than she was.

I haven't flown to Boston for years, but I do remember the seats seemed to be smaller than when I visited every year. I loved it so much when my daughter and granddaughter came to visit me this summer. They won't be doing that very often, so I will likely need to visit again.

I don't think we're going to do much tomorrow, what with all the crazy drivers out for a spree, so I'm gonna bask in doing a painting or two.

Starshine finally gave us a sample to take to his doc, so Tuesday will be when I get a box for a second cat.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2018, 03:41 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Here's today's cryptoquote:

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence." ---Martin Luther King

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2018, 04:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hello Oilycats!!!

I could have sworn I posted this morning.

Great crypto-quote Nancy, and I am glad Starshine co-operated.

I think I am stalled on the cabin painting, I know where I want to go with it, just can't seem to get motivated to work on it. So I am setting it aside and starting something new and very different. Maybe even do some smaller pieces, if I can find some small canvases lying around. Anything to get some painting done!