Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Water mixable oils?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Ju-Ju-Beads

It seems the only Naples Yellow available locally-or on Amazon Prime-is a water mixable from Windsor and Newton. I’ve never used water mixables; are they interchangeable with regular oils? Or should I order my usual and wait? (I hate waiting!)
        Many thanks,
        Judi

Eveline

Yes they are! You can use them with anything you use with your regular oils (medium, white spirit …). You can’t do it the other way around. So they will not be water miscible anymore when you add them to regular oils. Only if you add less than 30% of regular oils to water miscible ones, you can add water to dilute the mixture.

I hope this isn’t too confusing :D

C&C most welcome
            Website
            Facebook page

jyaan

Note that if you’re looking for the real Naples yellow, the W&N is a hue, not genuine. Michael Harding offers the real thing. And I’d bet Rublev has it.

Grammy Les

Just so I don’t misunderstand – I probably have hundreds of $$$ of oil paint but I want to switch (though a little late) to water miscible paint. I can add them to my palate with my oil paints and combine them? Right?

Ju-Ju-Beads

That’s my understanding, but I chickened out and waited for my usual oil. I did find some links that may shed some light.

All about Water Soluble Oils @ https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118687

Water-Mixable Subforum @
                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=478

And there is a section about Water Miscible Oils in the FAQ page @
                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235455

Good luck
                        Judi

Devorahdraws

Just so I don’t misunderstand – I probably have hundreds of $$$ of oil paint but I want to switch (though a little late) to water miscible paint. I can add them to my palate with my oil paints and combine them? Right?

Yes. After a certain amount of mixing with regular oils they won’t be water-miscible anymore BUT you can use something like Schmincke’s W medium to make regular oils water-miscible and then you shouldn’t have any problems.

jyaan

There’s really no need to buy water-miscible paints as far as I can see. You can already clean normal paint out of brushes with soap and water as it is. I mix a little soap into the tuft, rinse and repeat until clean.

Humbaba

I have mixed regular oil paint with Water mixable, and I have not seen any issues. I made sure to varnish the painting anyway, the painting is almost 4 years old and no problems.

Gigalot

Use Schmincke’s Medium W to convert regular oil paints to water miscible.

Dcam

Alex: I just bought a large bottle of the Schmincke W.
                                            Looking forward to try it.
                                            After mixing do you think acrylics can still be added like in Holbein Aqua Duo?

Nahant

I often store my traditional oil pallet in the freezer to extend usage time of the
                                                paints. Would this be appropriate for water miscible oils?

Anonymous

There’s really no need to buy water-miscible paints as far as I can see. You can already clean normal paint out of brushes with soap and water as it is. I mix a little soap into the tuft, rinse and repeat until clean.

Water mixable oils dissolve in water, regular oils don’t. This means that you can thin them with water, you can’t do that with regular oils.
                                                    While working with them you can clean out your brushes with only water, this can’t be done with regular oils, and when you are done painting you can clean up brushes, palettes, and all else with only water.
                                                    Soap alone helps to clean out regular oils from brushes etc, but it is far easier and more thoroughly done with only water if using water mixable oils. It is far more difficult to clean out brushes as thoroughly with regular oils and soap and water. After scrubbing and scrubbing them forcefully, there will still be residual paint left up near the ferrule, which is bad for your brushes.
                                                    Water mixable paints,varnishes, glues, coatings, and lubricants are now being made in water mixable form which proves to be very helpful in a great many applications.

I’ve never used water mixables; are they interchangeable with regular oils?

Yes, all are 100% compatible and mixable together.

Dick

Yes but why would you? I plan t o switch to water solubles soon. When I do I’ll just put my regular oils away until I decide to go back to them after evaluating the WS. If I don’t go back to them, I’ll find someone who wants them. Mixing them would seem to remove all benefit from the WS.

Dick Hutchings
                                                        Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

gary knights

I use them a lot with w&n artists oils and they are great especially the cobra /talens ones which are way better than the w&n ones. Jackson’s are good too. Dont thin them with water though as the film becomes ever weaker. only use water to clean up. I use the modified oil and also liquin with them.

Yes, water-mixable oils are real oils, they are water mixable, not water based. They can be mixed and applied using the same techniques as traditional oils but whilst wet they can be removed from brushes and palettes with soap and water and I’ve found Masters Brush Cleaner works a treat..

Browse gallery of Arts:
                                                            http://www.pastelartprints.com
                                                            Facebook page:
                                                            https://www.facebook.com/pastelartprints/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.