Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jscottb

Here is how I went about making the Oars painting.

First off, this is pretty big for a watercolor. 15″ x 47″

From the local hardware store, I bought a box of decorative wood slats intended for use on an accent wall. I cut a couple of 1×2 pieces to act as braces and put together my support. I intentionally allowed the boards to gap in places.

With the support finished (and unsanded), I taped off the side edges, then roughly covered the surface with Daniel Smith Titanium White Watercolor Ground. I let this sit overnight to dry. My house usually has low humidity, so overnight was enough. Other places might take 24-48 hours.

This morning I penciled in the oars and began to put in the background. This was done to a large degree to find out if the shapes would read correctly. this is the biggest thing I have ever painted, so the drawing was key.

Using strong mixes of French Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna, I began blocking in the shapes. (Side note, I only use those two colors in the whole painting. Nothing else.)

I came back again with BS/FUMB mixes darkening the oars and dropping in shadows.

I went back into the background (again with BS/FUMB) to darken it up. I allowed it to dry and went back in again with 2″ flat to add some drybrush texture.

Here is the final piece:

Here are some closeup shots that show how the wood slats really adds texture to the painting.

Later today, I will apply several coats of acrylic fixative, about 30 minutes apart. Then I will follow up with two coats of acrylic matte varnish.

Very inventive.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

ArtL

Nice…It’s good you left the texture of the wood. It really adds to the result. Something to keep in the back of my mind. :)

Art

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin

Cyntada

A painting after my own heart… love it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CK =)
                I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada
                rabbitone

Very ingenuous…in my neck of the northern woods they paint a landscape on old saw blades…

Eliminate timidity. Failure is only experience to get us to the next level.

jscottb

Thanks, everyone.

Very ingenuous…in my neck of the northern woods they paint a landscape on old saw blades…

I’ve seen that done before. This DS watercolor ground would work on that, too. It is really cool stuff. It is remarkable how “paper-like” the surface becomes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.