Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ December 2018

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ocmd123

Happy December! My November was kind of a crazy blur. (Several trips. A fall walking the dog, which complicated my life for a few weeks. :rolleyes:) There is almost nothing on my December calendar, other than the holiday, and that is making me mighty happy. And since my kids are older, Christmas isn’t the overwhelming event it used to be. I’m working on some crochet projects for gifts but I should have those finished in plenty of time. I’ve got a couple of painting commissions, but they don’t really have to be done until January. Anybody working on any projects for the upcoming holiday season?

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
        Instagram

Save

frida

Thank you Elaine, but we cannot have December empty of good thoughts, warm Hellos and good wishes to everyone, can we???

:wave: :wave: :wave: :grouphug:

It is sunny here today!!! So, that’s what the sky looks like without clouds? And… Was the sunlight always so blindingly wonderful??? I am not exaggerating, but we had overcast skies for so long lately that it seemed natural. We should soak up the sunlight as long as it lasts!

How are you ALL doing? Getting together? May you have a wonderful Christmas, and 2019 find you Happy, Healthy, Grateful, or otherwise Healing…

Please drop in to say HI! :)

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Pingpongfan

Olaf always had the beef about people not posting. I now have to agree with him. There are lots of looky-loos but even a “that’s nice” would be nice. Isn’t this forum about encouraging artists? How can an artist be encouraged if nobody says anything!
                Vena

ocmd123

The site is a victim of progress. It’s outdated. When this was developed, there was nothing else like this out there for artists. So it was busy and vibrant. Now there are many other avenues for artists to post and get feedback. And they’re more convenient to use. Instagram has a very large artist community. It’s easy to upload and post, it’s easy to comment, it’s easily accessed from a device. People only have so much time. Most people have shifted their social media time to other, more current, platforms. Progression of time. The only constant is change. :cool:

:wave: Frida! Our weather has been the same. We’re on a nine (NINE!) day stretch with no rain. That’s the longest stretch we’ve had since AUGUST!! :eek:It’s crazy.
                    I’m busy finishing up crocheting gift projects. Doing a little reflecting and regrouping on art from the year past. And I printed a pile of new reference photos to kick of the new year. :thumbsup:

Olaf always had the beef about people not posting. I now have to agree with him. There are lots of looky-loos but even a “that’s nice” would be nice. Isn’t this forum about encouraging artists? How can an artist be encouraged if nobody says anything!
                    Vena

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                    Instagram

Save

frida

I was busier posting when I was using my CPs more to create and deposit coloured pigment than collect dust. For me it was an inspiring place.

Nowadays, IF I were posting to welcome, greet everybody and comment on everybody’s work, I wouldn’t own what I have free of my caregiving life, and I cannot misuse my low energy either, so all those times I log on I do it because I believe I have something to give, and try very hard NOT to feel guilty about preserving MY time for myself…! :(

So, today I wish to recommend those who are interested “outside the lines” something that is helping me a great deal: after quite few years I found my way back to meditating, and I don’t mean OHHHMMM, or dedicating an hour a day to it, but more what we call Mindfulness these days.

I found Seth J. Gillihan’s Guided Meditations: http://sethgillihan.com/guided-meditations/ , and after starting with the 1 minute (!) one, I find it has helped me a great deal. I sleep better and I am more focused and relaxed, and happier with doing a little bit more of my drawing as the days go by. I have advanced to 5 and 6 minutes, and I honestly recommend his friendly, soothing voice and accepting instructions…

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

ocmd123

That sounds wonderful, Raquel. I’m so glad you found something that works for you. And don’t EVER feel guilty about taking time when you need it. There’s a reason that airlines tell you to take oxygen for yourself before helping someone else. You’ll be no good for anyone else if you don’t take care of yourself. It’s all connected. I am also a primary caregiver to my son. But he does go to a day program three days a week, and my husband helps out in the evening, so I do get a bit of a break. And I’d break without that. So please take time when you need it. We tend to overestimate how much we have available to give. :grouphug:

Instagram

Save

frida

Just finished with the X-Mas cards for the local friends. I will send my favourite Jacquie Lawson’s e-cards and notes to a handful in Europe. Also my cheques for donations to local hospitals and others who have been so helpful through the years…! Plus a card for my oldest daughter, who was born on December 23!!!

I still want to test my beloved shortbread, which I was baking every Christmas until I went off gluten a few years ago.

Our postal service has been disrupted for a strike. How bad can that be just before Christmas???!!! :evil: It’s been rotating around the country, and giving a lot of work to Fed-Ex, etc.

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

ocmd123

I’m gluten free as well, Raquel. I find most things, with the exception of bread and pie crust, work fairly well by just subbing a GF flour blend. But I’ve never made shortbread. You likely already googled, but here are some tips[/URL].

Instagram

Save

KaySilver

Hi all. Lovely to hear about your preparations for the festive period. I like to hear what you are all up to! :) What are your crochet gifts, Elaine? And what sort of reference photos have you printed off? Landscapes? I’ve got lots of projects ready to go for the new year too. Just hoping for good health so I can get stuck into them.

We’ve had a bit of a stressful time lately with plumbing and car problems all happening one after another, and all needing fixing by a professional. I’m really hoping that the next couple of weeks will be more settled, so I can relax. I find short mindfulness meditation exercises very useful at times of stress, Raquel. Also for sleeplessness. I will check out that link.

I’ve already sent all my Xmas cards for this year, and now I’m already working on some little embroidered ones for next year!!! :lol: They are very informal, using layered scraps of organza and silk, different yarns (including sparkly!), and some little seed beads. Very easy and relaxing to sit and stitch in front of the TV.

frida

I’ve had so many small things to take care of that the shortbread is still only a promise…! Thank you Elaine, I actually came across that website. But I finally mixed my first GF flour, so mixing it with rice flour would be enough, according with my old recipe.

Something else that is absorbing my time is the TV. We don’t watch regular programming, don’t even have cable, but an extensive “videoteque”!!! And now we have the DVDs to fill into Netflix sometimes poor offerings. I just got hooked with Kiefer Sutherland playing the Designated Survivor. Geez!

But I continue working on my line drawing. It is finished enough that now I am tracing it with ink, so later I’ll use this to transfer to my good paper. This time I did something I haven’t done before, and found it very involved, but fascinating… My idea was to place a branch of leaves behind the flowers, in full detail. I worked on the leaves on tracing paper, so I could study the composition when putting them together.

My system is anything BUT fast, but it works for me and my ideas… Nothing spontaneous here Claudia! :lol:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

frida

It’s me again, with a :grouphug: and the best wishes for a Happy New Year…!!!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

ocmd123

:rolleyes: Sorry! I got busy with holidays, and post-holiday colds that swept through the house. And I’ve been taking time to try to finish the Andrew Wyeth biography I’ve been reading. And, I’ve been doing some drawing. (Posted a new thread and one in the sketch thread.). I have done NOTHING about Nee Year cards yet. I’m too busy enjoying down time!
                                                    Frida, I’m glad you found something to work for your cookies!
                                                    Claudia, I’ve printed a bunch of landscape shots from Nags Head, NC. If WC doesn’t tell me it’s too big, I’ll post a picture of them. :rolleyes:
                                                    Success! The WIP I just posted is one of these.

Instagram

Save

KaySilver

Oh gosh Elaine, what lovely photos! So fresh and breezy looking. You can’t beat a nice little pile of really inspiring reference pics, can you?! I must pop over to sketch thread next, and see your post there.

Also wishing everyone a very happy, healthy and peaceful new year! :)

KarenESP
                                                          Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.