Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Painting from the Masters Need some advice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dcpa55

Someone just asked me to paint them something. They are paintings of wine bottles and wine glasses ans she gave me a picture of how it will look like but:
        1) i dont know how to do the background. How to do it?
        2)How to avoid oil painting colors to mix when you put another color on your underpainting?
        3)should i put clear liquid on my canvas? Or linseed oil? Or gesso? Or nothing at all?
        4) how much should it be for an unknown amature painter like me?
        Thank you!

This is the painting my first customer asked me to paint:

SeanInDublin

This might help….

http://www.drawmixpaint.com/

:)

Humbaba

Map the background and paint it first. Once the background is dry, paint the bottles, a trick is to draw the elements, using a dark color, over this drawing you paint the background in a semi transparent fashion, this will be your map to continue painting the bottles last.

Don Ketchek

Are you an oil painter? Or do you work in another medium. Personally, based on your questions, I would consider doing this in acrylics.

If this is a painting by another artist – and is copyrighted – then you should do it for free. That’s just my opinion.

Don

Sparro

I would first draw an outline, then start painting. You can paint in the background as you go. You’re right. Oil paints do often mix, and people use this if they want to blend something. If you don’t want any mixing, you can glaze over your bottom layer. The undercoat must be completely dry before you add the next layer, and the paints won’t mix at all. Oil paint takes a long time to dry, so you can add Liquin or galkyd to your paint to make it dry quicker. One of the top layers should be a thin transparent grayish white to give it those hazy milky tones. Also, you can add a nice burgundy transparent layer on top of the dark bottles for the reflections of wine in there. Also you can use a medium like Liquin to make your paint thinner and transparent and quick drying so you can paint your next layer over it. I think you can base the price on how good of a job you think you did after it’s finished. If you are a beginner, but you are really good, and your customer is happy with it, charge $99. If you have purchased a standard white canvas from an art store, you don’t need to put anything over it. Only if you make your own canvases, and have raw cloth would you need to paint something to cover it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.