Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone It is my skill or the nature of granulating paint?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    calvin_0

This is my latest painting, painted with Cadmium Yellow Pale (PY35), Quin Red (PR209), Cobalt Turquoise Light (PB28), Ultramarine Deep (PB29) and Burnt Umber (PBr7)..

I use a lot of granulating paint but I notice they dont behave the way as I expected.. for example, you can see the yellow building on the right.. I painted that with a mix of Cad Yellow Pale, Ultramarine and Burnt Umber… and then I drop Cad Yellow in and it doesnt blend as I expected, instead it pushes the pigment away creating these weird edges..

and then on the water on the left, I painted a reflection of the wall with Ultramarine and Burnt Umber and then paint in a wash of pink under it, the wall doesnt blend into the pink washing it out as I expected, but instead the pink move up into the wall, pushing the pigment along with it

so I wonder, if this is a problem with my n00b skill or is this a normal behavior of granulating paint?

thanks.

indraneel

It looks nice. What’s not to like? Here in India, all the buildings look like that… the hot sun, monsoons and air pollution quickly turn all buildings into nicely textured ones :eek: I also like the green grass on the side of the road :evil:

Don’t worry about beginner things. The only problem I see is the dark hairball on the roof… looks like it might fall on somebody and create a mess :crossfingers:

Yellows, generally, are “pushers”. When you drop them into a wet wash, they’ll push that colour away eventually blending with it in the outer perimiter of the yellow. It has been my experience, also, that yellows should always be considered an underpainting as they just don’t glaze or mix well over colours.

Your problems really don’t have anything to do with granulation. Although, using ultramarine and burnt umber will guarantee some amount of it.

What you are experiencing is the order of operation… or what washes to apply first to achieve the effect you need.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

calvin_0

What you are experiencing is the order of operation… or what washes to apply first to achieve the effect you need.

thanks, I guess, I’ll have to do some experiment to find out what order give what effect..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.