Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Silver Falls – step by step photos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rich A

Hey everyone. It’s been awhile. I thought I would share my latest and also wip pics. Just so you know, I’m using 4 brands of OP: Sennelier, neopastel, mungyo, craypas expressionist.

The support is Ampersand Pastelbord 16×20 inches. Pastelbord is my overall favorite surface. It’s sanded yet soft enough to blend with fingers. Can take multiple layers w/o fixative. I just wish it was cheaper :lol: :lol:

The first pic shows first layer using craypas expressionist. They are the hardest of my 4 sets, so they go first. YOu can see the colors I used. Taking the papers off allows me to cover wide areas and over time develop edges and points that help with getting in details.

Rich A

I then blend in that first layer. I blended it mostly with a stump and fingers. No solvent or sennelier blender stick needed. Pastelbord is great. From here on out I use a mix of neopastel and mungyo. A few Senneliers were used in foliage as well.

Rich A

Rich A

here it is finished. 16×20 inches . Location is on “trail of ten falls” in Silver Falls STate Park, Oregon. 8 miles loop with several falls you can walk behind. I forgot the name of this particular waterfall.

No fixative was ever needed. And I was able to get several layers starting with the cray pas first. Thanks.

MaryFlora

So beautiful!

Rolling through your work slowly was like watching the sun rise.

Love the light in your painting…..especially on this dark rainy morning! :)

Thank you for the lessons!

Mary Flora

terriks

Gorgeous. I love looking at your WIPs and following the progress of your paintings. Your four OP brands are the ones I’ve been sticking with, as well – though somehow we get different results. :lol: But I do think these brands work and layer beautifully with each other, and the colors mesh well.

You’re so talented – I especially love watching those final layers light up, like Tinkerbell touching the top of a flower with her wand to catch that special light.

Do you have any closeup shots of this painting? Would love to see a few! Did you do a video of this one?

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Mary – Thank you! We are about to get a good rain this weekend. I think today might be our last 80F for the year. Pretty mild summer for us in PNW compared to last few summers, but we are still short of the average rainfall for the year.

Terri -Thanks so much. I do have some closeups, but no video on this one. I thought about it, but opted to blast the music and get lost for a little while. If you have a chance, give pastelbord a try. Comes in variety of sizes and I go for the grey background pastelbord.

Rich A

Here are some close-ups. A lot of layers here. For my darks I use a dark brown, prussian blue and slate grey (neopastel). My lightest value is neopastel white that I used for top of waterfall highlights. The foreground ferns and foliage are two different neopastel greens and one mungyo green that lean cooler.

Rich A

a couple more..

Gorgeous, Rich! Thanks for showing us your wip. Prussian blue in the foliage – interesting.

Christel

terriks

Ah, thanks for the closeups, Rich! I really like inspecting the detail and background that peeps through on your paintings. Wonderful!

About that pastelbord: I have taken a look at it. :thumbsup: It gets rave reviews by our fellow artists. Sure wish it go on sale.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Thanks Christel!. I do love my prussian blue. I always have backups of it (mungyos). I like it for distant darks. I like it for toning greens. I like it with a dark brown to make a good dark value.

Terri, I wish it was on sale too. It is spendy. I have to restrain myself actually from buying too much of it .:lol: :lol:

terriks

Ha ha! Well, at least you sell your work, so your profits can allow the justification for this paper. (Not to mention the work itself!) As a hobbyist who is still learning, it’s too costly for me.

Thank goodness for the Arches, which is a very nice paper and fairly affordable. In the beginning, I was using a lot of cheap construction paper or plain card. :)

Terri

Rich A

I love ARches. It’s been awhile since I used it. pastelmat took over

laika

Wow, beautiful work, Rich! And the wealth of progress pics and details… most impressive!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                                                            - Otto Rank

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.