Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Art Supply Addicts Anonymous – 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    robertsloan2

Post here if you got new supplies, unearthed something wonderful from the bottom of a drawer, just want to gloat on your collection. Online or offline, art supplies are a lot of fun to collect and use! And of course using something up is just reason to shop again!

I’ll kick off showing the cool frames I got for two pastel paintings I did for gifts for two friends…

Pet portraits are in Blick Spectrum gallery frames, 14″ x 18″ – these are very easy to use. The glazing is acrylic. The back board is an eighth inch thick stiff board with metal slides that turn and stick in grooves on the inside of the frame, so no back board needs to be cut when you cut mats. The outsides are very solid painted wood and it comes with a little picture hanger to put on the center of the side you designate as top (depends on if art is portrait or landscape orientation, works for either.)

I cut the mats from a piece of Crescent Very White rag mat to size and the art’s done on 9″ x 12″ Art Spectrum Colourfix with Unison pastels. In the same order that I got the frames, I got more sheets of Art Spectrum Colourfix, two each of Elephant, Rose Grey, Fresh Grey, Leaf Green Dark and five sheets of Black. I have lots of Black now, which I love working on.

Blick has been doing some great coupons lately too. Just placed another order once my money came in, those goodies to come. Will post photo when they do. I got some more origami paper and the 24 color Sennelier Nesting Box gift set that was being discontinued, because after I tried the 8 color Sennelier watercolors I really liked the paints. I’m also a sucker for Cool Wood Box Sets and it had a porcelain palette included, which I’m always into. I love porcelain palettes, they are easiest to clean.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

artdragon86

Blick has been doing some great coupons lately too. Just placed another order once my money came in, those goodies to come. Will post photo when they do. I got some more origami paper and the 24 color Sennelier Nesting Box gift set that was being discontinued, because after I tried the 8 color Sennelier watercolors I really liked the paints. I’m also a sucker for Cool Wood Box Sets and it had a porcelain palette included, which I’m always into. I love porcelain palettes, they are easiest to clean.

Gorgeous pet portraits :clap: I look forward to seeing your new Sennelier watercolour box, those wooden ones are very nice. I’d buy one but storage space is limited and my little metal paint boxes do the job.

Today I went into the city to catch Pokemon on my phone and dropped into one of the art supply shops. I got the last few Winton oil colours I wanted, a tube of Daniel Smith Serpentine Genuine watercolour and two each of Pastelbord and Aquabord; I haven’t tried those boards yet but I have an idea for a pastel landscape I want to do on the grey one.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
            Rebecca ~ http://artdragon86.wordpress.com/

marksmomagain

My favorite art store had Prismas on sale. $100 for the 150pc set. I had a $20 loyalty card so I got the set for $80. In that whole box there are only 4 pencils that are off center enough to be careful with.

artdragon86

When I got home from visiting my Nan, my order from the UK had arrived. A small set of Lyra Rembrandt Polycolour pencils, three tubes of Blockx watercolour, a size 10 travel brush and a sample tin of Sennelier oil paints.

I think it will be at least a few days before I feel up to painting anything, though. Rex (our German Shepherd who has popped up in previous Addicts threads) had been going downhill the last few months, and this morning it was time to let him go peacefully. I will miss having him sitting under my desk on my feet, ‘helping’ me with my painting and research writing.

Sorry to hear about your alsation, Rebecca. He does look beautiful on the photo.

Christel

marksmomagain

Oh I’m so sorry I really liked seeing him in your posts.

SeaScapePtr

This was my Christmas art supply haul last month:

* 7 tubes of Graham walnut oil paint (sap green looks very interesting)
                            But I still lust after more colors.
                            * 2 canvases to add to my canvas stash.
                            * Bamboo table top ravenna easel. It works well.
                            * A nightstand to put the easel on. It has open shelves where I can put art stuff.
                            * A very nice wooden box to put my paint tubes & brushes. Surprisingly light weight. I love this box. It looks so wonderfully artistic & traditional.
                            * A cool looking black & yellow paint scraper. Now I can clean my palette in style.

My next art supply haul will include some quality brushes, brush holders, brush cleaning supplies, and canvases. I’m planning on buying an Ipad Pro 12.9″ in the next few months for digital drawing & painting. I’m also planning on building a new PC cuz my existing one is pretty outdated. I’m planning on buying Corel Painter 2017. I want to use computers to help me draw stuff and then paint them on canvas.

I recently had a big increase in my income, so I can buy more art supplies. I’m thinking of buying Carbothello pastel pencils and colored brush pens just because I like them, even though I probably won’t use them much.

In the future I want to set up a proper studio for painting and another one for drawing. I want to get rid of some old furniture to make room.

robertsloan2

Marksmomagain, wow! Congratulations on the giant Prismacolor set! You can probably get replacements for the off center ones if you bring them back to the store and complain, though you’d have to take the replacements from open stock. Might be better to just order them from dick blick, since I haven’t had any internal breakage on open stock pencils from Blick. They move them too fast for them to get any rough handling, while the ones in stores often get knocked out of their slots and put back by customers but you can’t tell there’s damage until you try to sharpen it.

Wonderful range! They still take the lead for largest range of colored pencils and hung on to softest artist colored pencils tied with Derwent Coloursoft.

Rebecca, wonderful haul! Pastelbord is awesome stuff. I’ve painted on it and love the fine grained sanded texture, it holds a lot of layers and the boards are very sturdy. Aquabord is probably good too even though I haven’t tried it yet. Love that travel brush! It looks like the same kind as one of my favorites, an Escoda one. Great size too, size 10 is so useful and they keep a good point. Cool that the Sennelier oils sampler includes primaries, white and black, you could do anything with that sampler. They are always good about giving primaries as samples but the white and black with them is even better for oil painting.

Let me know how the Blockx watercolors handle. I love Daniel Smiths ones and Serpentine Genuine is a wonderful color, gorgeous rich green a bit like sap green but as a single pigment color it mixes even better. Lyra Polycolor are great pencils too, oil based and lovely. Soft and a little more transparent, you can get gorgeous effects with them and they layer well.

Sorry to hear about Rex. He was a beautiful dog, thank you for posting his photo. He looks so majestic. I feel for you losing him, he was a member of the family and their love is so deep.

Today my Blick package arrived with the great Sennelier Nesting Box set, plus three packs of origami paper, a Geometric Origami kit that will become some Christmas ornaments next year (it was discontinued, so got it while it was around, got it for grandson but he hasn’t taken an interest, decided I wanted one too) and a pack of 50 mat cutter blades. No running out of mat cutter blades and no need to sort through all those still-packed tubs and boxes to find the last pack of them. These will last till my daughter and son in law finish building my studio and I can unpack, probably long beyond.

Sennelier Nesting Box set of 24

I like those two brushes. I wasn’t sure if it had one or two, but it has size 8 and size 2 Raphael brushes. The sizes look a little small compared to the ones I see in other brands, but that makes the size 2 a perfect tiny details brush. Plenty of room in the box to drop in something else for a larger brush with a short handle. The porcelain palette is great, it’s got six large wells for mixing and the odd little embroidered cloth napkin looks very absorbent. I guess that’s just something to pick up spills.

I got involved in the Society for Creative Anachronism again, where we all dress up for the Current Middle Ages (As they should have been, minus plagues and sexism and such). I do scribe work, painting scrolls is always in demand because people are always winning tournaments or getting awards from the crown for various services, usually accompanied by original scrolls or pre-printed scrolls painted by members. I’ve been doing pre-prints but wanted to do some original scrolls and I’m signed up to teach a knotwork class at a big event in April.

Well, it occurred to me the wood box wasn’t a ridiculous extravagance, because when I dress up as an Italian Renaissance painter, lugging paint and painting supplies around in a wood box fits the atmosphere at the events. People usually slowly replace cardboard and plastic boxes with wooden chests and baskets in their gear. This box is perfect to hold some dip pens and gouache along with the original watercolors, right in the layer the napkin came in. I might move the napkin down to lay on the palette – duh, that’s what it’s for, cleaning off the palette. It’ll get colorful!

Signing up to do the class led to another Blick order. I replaced my Daniel Smith Iridescent Gold tube, which dried out when the lid broke, and bought my class supplies – an 18″ x 24″ whiteboard, four sets of five extra fine Sharpie pens for students to use, two 12-packs of Bargain Elementary Rulers, a four pack of whiteboard markers and a new C-Thru grid ruler marked for 8ths of an inch. It looks like it’s only an inch wide instead of two inches, but it also looks darn useful like my old one. If I like it, I’m going to get a dozen of those and stash them in all packs, drawers and drawing kits because I keep misplacing the one treasured old one I had.

Still needed for the class, I’ll be hitting Staples for cheap mechanical pencils, parchment paper or card stock plus 100 copies of the handout I still need to draw and ink. The pencils I’m thinking of come in bags of 8 or 10 for a couple of bucks but have white erasers included, solving the problem of making sure everyone gets an eraser. The whiteboard is going to be great for years for almost any classes I do. This is the first time in a decade that I’ll be doing a class, so I’m excited about it. I can’t count how many times I costed out getting cheap enough supplies that I wouldn’t have to charge the students a materials fee and they’d still go home with the means to start doing the thing the class was about, whatever that is.

Hehe, at least I found a justification for a wood box watercolor set. It was a stretch when I have way too many good artist grade watercolor sets and palettes, even a couple of other porcelain palettes. But this will work for something specialized. I’m still going to use a tin snips on the dried out tube and see if I can use it like a watercolor pan too, the Daniel Smith watercolors tend to rewet easily though some brands don’t.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com

marksmomagain

Thanks Robert. These are the first new Prismacolors I have purchased in about 25 years. For that price, I had to get them…I have over a thousand of the older ones. There’s some nice new colors that I really like!!

Love that Sennelier nestingbox set…

jlombardi

RobertSloan2 that is fantastically cool looking. I should really stay away from this thread it makes me want to buy more supplies and try new mediums! I have to give my cc some recovery time since my soft pastel buying extravaganza. ;)

Criticism always welcome!
                                        My Art Blog: /https://myartjourney.blog/
                                        Instagram:
                                        https://www.instagram.com/justlombardi/

Minerva C

Robert, what a nice looking watercolour box!

C

"It is only when we are no longer fearful that we begin to create."
                                            J.M.W. Turner

artdragon86

Hi all, thanks for the kind words about Rex. It’s been a struggle to have the house to myself without the big dog headbutting me wanting to go for a walk.

Looks like everyone’s got some nice art goodies. I am especially jealous of that nesting Sennelier watercolour box. Very classy and looks like it would be just at home as a display piece on a coffee table as in a studio.

Robert, do you know if Pastelbord can take wet washes? I know some pre-prepared pastel surfaces tend to fall to bits if you put water on them, and since I only have two Pastelbords I don’t want to try it just in case. I like the Blockx watercolours, though two of the tubes had separated badly. I mixed them back together with an unfolded paperclip and have started making half pans to put in my little box I got in NSW. I wanted Serpentine as I have an idea for a dragon painting and that would be perfect for his scaly hide. I’m not as fond of the Polycolors as I am of my Polychromos. They’re a little too transparent for my liking. Not to worry, I only really bought the little set to try and see if I liked them, and now I know.

I had a few orders I’d made at or around the new year and they’ve arrived in the last few days. Some more Strathmore trading cards, an A4 pad of Arches rough paper and some Art Spectrum gouache (packet of three primaries plus white and black). I also got the Mission Gold watercolours and played with them yesterday; just made a colour chart, didn’t paint anything proper. I’ll review them on my art blog once I’ve used them in a painting.

I also won a mystery box through Grumbacher’s Facebook page. They give you a bunch of random products from their related brands like Molotow, Schmincke and Koh I Noor. It’ll probably take more than a month to get here from America but it will be fun to see what I get.

robertsloan2

Purr thanks! Rebecca, you’re in luck. PastelBord takes wet washes just fine. I have tried that and it’s not a problem. Good surface for wet underpainting or wash treatments. I think it’ll probably stand up to most or all solvents, but it’s best to actually test what you’re going to use on a corner or edge, way out of the picture area where you may be able to hide it under the frame.

I liked the transparency of the Polycolors, it sets them apart and means I have transparent colors to glaze with. They might do well over layers of other brands. You’re right, they are the most transparent colored pencils I’ve ever had and that’s going to create its own texture of overlapping, cumulative layers.

Ooh fun new stuff! Arches Rough is great paper, love those Strathmore trading cards as such a convenience. Looking forward to your review of the Mission Gold watercolors. I’ve never tried them.

Oh that mystery box sounds like fun! A month but you have no idea what’s in it? Definitely get photos and post about it!

I don’t have a photo, but my whiteboard and class supplies arrived yesterday! I didn’t get charged for faster shipping but they sent it FedEx Home Delivery as a little perk, it surprised me happily. Great whiteboard. I like the C-Thru plastic grid ruler – it was just under C-Thru plastic rulers in the list but when I got to the page it was on, I found out those were grid rulers. It’s only one inch wide rather than two, but is marked down the middle for centering so it’s as useful as my old, somewhat worn 2″ wide one. I put a dozen of them in the cart to go on my next order so that I’ll have them in every bag of supplies or drawer or drop spot. I use the old one too much and mislay it too easily. Having a spare that’s new and easier to see through since it’s not all scratched up rocks.

So now I’m really broke but well equipped! My class is in the middle of March, so I can get the pencils and paper and printouts out of February’s check instead of January’s.

I charted the Sennelier nesting box and got some pleasant surprises. Opera Rose is actually Rhodamine pigment, so it’s probably a bit less fugitive than Winsor & Newton Opera Rose but still very bright. There’s a gorgeous transparent yellow that’s lightfastness 1, the Carmine is LF 1, there’s a good palette of top lightfastness in there and the Alizarin Crimson is a hue. It’s actually got Perylene Maroon in the mix and came out a lot like Perylene Maroon – very deep range, a little brownish. Not a problem since I like Perylene Maroon and have other variations of Alizarin in other sets – not to mention several cold reds in this set including the very lightfast Carmine.

I’m having a lot of fun with all of it – and come summer when my studio’s built and stuff comes out of storage, it’ll be like getting the lottery scale order as everything I haven’t been able to use for years comes back to me.

marksmomagain

I held off for a long long time, but finally broke down and started playing with markers and brush pens:lol: I got 5 different sets of Faber-Castell PITT artist pens and one set of Pigma Microns. They are fun. And it’s all-or-nothing with them, as they obviously don’t erase. I got the PITTs for $10 per six-pack, and the Microns for $9 for a 6 pack.

I also bought a 9×12 pad of Yasutomo Multi Media paper, which is made from rocks…This stuff rocks, I really like it; the weight and surface, etc. It has similarities to drafting vellum, but I think I may like this even more. So far I’ve played on it with colored pencil, graphite and oil pencil. I love the white color, but boy would it be a real treat to be able to get this in tints, or black… I’ll post a little review soon, as there are some caveats, meanwhile, has anyone else tried this? What do you think?

artdragon86

I liked the transparency of the Polycolors, it sets them apart and means I have transparent colors to glaze with. They might do well over layers of other brands. You’re right, they are the most transparent colored pencils I’ve ever had and that’s going to create its own texture of overlapping, cumulative layers.

Today I had a play with my Polycolors, and though I warmed up to them a bit, I still think I prefer smoother, more opaque pencils. Maybe my Caran dAche pencils have spoiled me :lol: The Polychromos are a similar texture but even they felt softer and had better coverage than the Polycolors. In the next few days I’ll try to do something with my Mission Gold watercolours, and I have an idea for a little landscape to try on the grey Pastelbord.

Like a good addict, I put in another order from Jacksons. Mostly CDA pencils, but also a brush case and a pencil case plus a few other bits and bobs.

Here’s the peach I did with my Polycolors. Not entirely happy with the background – I didn’t get it variegated or random enough – but I’ve been feeling unwell with headaches and vertigo the last few days so I was happy I at least managed to draw something.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 154 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.