Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bringe

Hi all, not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but here goes,
        I am wondering what people do for the edges of their canvas. As a knife painter, I can’t really ‘carry on’ the painting around the edge. I am loathe to paint them a colour as I am terrified the colour will smudge or print or splodge onto the actual painting. Currently I am using a black or white electrical tape around the edges. Its tidying them up nicely but the gallery I sell work through has said the tape around the edge of one painting has started to unstick and she is worried it could happen to other paintings too. I am also worried and was wondering if there is any better tape – tried and tested by the artist community – or any other ideas to help me solve my problem.
        Many thanks in advance
        Stephanie

libby2

I’ve done heavy impasto knife paintings and carried the painting around the edge, however I’ve read others just paint the edges black because they believe that’s the more professional finish.

And I want to add that I don’t sell, while those who do sell are the one’s that advocate the black edges (from the conversations I’m recalling). :)

_______
            Libby my blog

JimmyNedlum

I think this is a topic that divides a lot of artists. I’m going to stick my neck on the line and say that plain white looks best. I’ve always thought that painting round the edges makes a work look cheap or like one of those photo prints on canvas. I don’t think it really matters though, if what’s on the front of the canvas won’t sell it I don’t think the colour of the edge will make any difference :)

bringe

Thanks both. I’ll have a chat with the gallery and see what she says and see if the customers have had anything to say.

Anonymous

I’ve always thought that painting round the edges makes a work look cheap

I couldn’t agree more! I thought I was the ONLY one though, because everybody seem to love to paint around the edges these days. I simply can’t stand it, I cringe every time I see it. It can really ruin an otherwise solid painting. I think plain white looks awesome and timeless.

Mary Maggio

I like the edges. That is pretty much the best part of my paintings. So, I don’t paint mine, I just leave them alone. Sometimes the paint goes over there, but I don’t look. If you want to paint them (gold or perhaps silver might be nice) you could carefully tape off the edge with blue painters tape – they have one for freshly painted surfaces (Home Depot/ Lowes) – and only press it down enough to have it stick so you can paint the edge and then remove it. It shouldn’t damage your oil painting if it is dry to the touch already.

markshirar

I typically paint the edges of my painting. I don’t think it looks cheap. As of late I love the floating canvas frames but that adds an expense, of course. It seems like using electrical tape would be way more cheap looking than painting the piece on the edges or just painting it a single black or white color. That option seems way more permanent than electrical tape. Painting the edges a solid color or carrying over the actual painting is also a nice way to allow the buyer to just hang the piece without having it custom framed if they like that look of gallery wrapped canvases.

trufflecat

I would agree with markshirar. To paint the edges, it’s easiest to do it first, using acrylics, before doing the painting itself. That way, if any creeps onto the surface, you will just paint over it. If you mess up the painted edges while doing the painting, then generally you can just touch up the edges. I find it usually takes 2 coats of a dark acrylic to cover the edges.
                                    If the painting is already done, as I presume is the case here, you can still paint the edges with acrylics, but have a cloth at the ready and be vigilant — to wipe off any that gets onto the surface since acrylic dries so fast. And I agree that painted edges in a floater frame really looks great, especially with modern/abstract paintings.

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.