WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States
Lost Color Hype

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/t...st-colors.html

This is all too typical of articles devoted to the supposed arcana of "lost" things in art.

In fact, most of the dry pigments used by Felgueiras are readily available from several sources. Indian yellow is rightfully gone. But even orpiment ("king's yellow") can be had. We all know that artist grade lead white is still available, at least in the US (I'm not sure about the EU). Ultramarine green is not scarce. Vermillion in both the Chinese and scarlet shades is no problem. Nor is cochineal.

As for blue verditer, its use in oil is not recommended by the supplier of the dry pigment, a point Felgueiras appears to have overlooked.

All of this is similar to the search for "lost" painting mediums and violin varnish ingredients. It's flimflam. Yet it will be taken seriously by most people who read the article.

This kind of thing really rubs me the wrong way.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Re: Lost Color Hype

Indeed, but at least the article's text admits that the pigments were not really "lost" in the sense of no longer known.

I think the larger problem has to do with regular, commercially available artist paints. When, oh when, will Alazarin Crimson finally be eliminated, due to its fugitive color? And then, what is the purpose of marketing an Alazarin Crimson Hue? Why not just go directly to modern colors? The same can be said for numerous other colors, with romantic or antique names.

But I guess that's where the money is. Somewhere out there is a new, amateur artist whose oil palette contains tubes labeled as Alazarin Crimson, Vermilion, Indian Yellow, Naples Yellow, Emerald Green, Manganese Blue, Flake White. But (if fortunate) the tubes actually contain modern, inexpensive pigments.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

It actually takes a lot of time for most fugitive pigments to go fugitive.

Historic pigments, as they're called in the trade, have in general a somewhat softer character than their modern counterparts.

Genuine vermilion makes less greyed-out tints than the cads.

Manganese blue is no longer being made, though there are still a few companies that make it in oils until their back stock runs out. Combined with a green-leaning yellow like Hansa light, it makes the most limpid, clear greens imaginable.

Lead white (flake white etc) is still in use by many painters. It's easily available, warmer than titanium white and makes much less chalky tints.

Emerald green. Ah, you don't want to get near the real thing even if you could find any.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:10 PM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

The palette I've used since months after I began is almost a modern version of Rembrandt's palette. It contains a few cadmiums which I'm not sure are still available in the EU. They'll create something to replace them so it really doesn't worry me.

The last time I was in New York I visited Pearl Paint store where I loved looking at raw pigments there. That was an amazing art store, someone told me it closed... Sad.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:15 PM
A Local Legend
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Lead is still available in the EU. I get it from Germany, as long as I have an art license that implies I am doing restorations. Genuine Krapplak-madder fades, and does not dry at all - as in a pure swatch is still sopping wet 6 months later. OH. So you have to always mix it with another pigment, or add a siccative. I switched from the pure to the modern substitute, from Rembrandt, which looks just the same, and without the headaches. Actually I switched from that to OH Rose, which is most delicious, but now I am rambling. Yes, Emerald Green nearly glows, but it is crazy poisonous.

http://www.artallison.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Pearl Paint is indeed gone, but it was never the best art supply store in the city.

That award goes to New York Central Art Supply, which alas closed this summer after 111 years in business at the same location on Third Avenue. The building was sold and they had no choice. The business has been taken over by Jerry's but I very much doubt it will ever be the same. I was shocked to find this out when I tried to access their website.

The top floor of NY Central was devoted entirely to paper. Amazing selection. I didn't even need the stuff and I still wanted to buy some. They had by far the best staff of any art supply store in the city.

All the great NYC art supply stores-- Delsemme's, Joseph Torch, Eagle and now NY Central are gone.

Truly a shame.

Last edited by musket : 09-12-2018 at 06:28 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

A little while back David Byrne wrote an essay on the demise of New York City as a true place for the birth of art. Byrne acknowledged that NYC remained THE center of the Art World in terms of the marketplace... but the city and surrounding suburbs have become so expensive in terms of rent that few artists outside of the established "blue chip" artists... could afford to live there. This is especially true of younger, beginning artists... often confronted with massive student loan debt.

Add this loss of young artists to the booming online market for everything and anything... including art supplies... and it is amazing the physical art supply stores in NYC lasted as long as they did.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I'm truly saddened by this. It was a great store. Every person on their staff had an area of specialty and was extremely knowledgeable about it. The Jerry's version will be a bad joke by comparison.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:25 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

It is sad when an art store closes because as an artist there is nothing nicer than browsing through a good art store, of course, we can buy online cheaper but it's not quite the same is it?

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde