Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio Under the sun

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    terriks

….because I don’t really have a title for this. :lol: Just playing around. Loosely inspired between the Twilight Zone and Stonehenge (it’s weird that Stonehenge images showed up in this month’s challenge refs!).

12×16 Arches oil paper, mainly Mungyos with a few Neopastels and Senns.

I went at this one quickly, having been so pressed for time lately, so no WIP photos. It kind of painted itself.

All comments welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

This is rather fascinating Terri. I been looking at it for awhile…I almost feel the large stone things are moving across the scene…. Stare at the red sun for awhile, use your peripheral vision to also see the 4 pieces in the scene with long shadows. And they kinda move

Interesting . Well done, especially the sky.

Christel

SarahY

I love it! Such atmosphere, the colours, the shapes. It’s fantastic.

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

terriks

Thanks so much, Rich, Christel and Sarah!

Rich, I haven’t thought to look at it like that, but it sounds cool!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

laika

Stark, strange, and surreal. I like it! It does have a Twilight Zone vibe. Now it needs a story :)

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                        - Otto Rank

terriks

I’m happy you look at it like that, Lamar – yay! Thank you!

There’s a story there someplace, probably revolving around the little guy. :)

Terri

Mira

Terri, love that airy sky and the dramatic shadows :)
                                is it a person in a hat, standing among those giant stones? 
                                From the first glance I thought there were just four stones and because they are four (can be divided equally), it feels a little bit like they divide the scene in halves… so I would maybe go for five objects (four stones and a person?) :)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

laika

There’s a story there someplace, probably revolving around the little guy. :)

Oooh! We (the forum) should have a Story Challenge based on a single short concept. Sort of like storyboarding? Sequential storytelling?

I guess that sounds like art-by-committee, though, huh?

Lamar

- Otto Rank

laika

From the first glance I thought there were just four stones and because they are four (can be divided equally), it feels a little bit like they divide the scene in halves… so I would maybe go for five objects (four stones and a person?) :)

I like odd numbers and thought of it as 3 stones and 1 person :) But I see what you mean about halves. In the aggregate, it *does* make four… and yet…

Lamar

- Otto Rank

terriks

Yep, it’s 3 stones and a person. :)

I also include the sun as one of the elements, which keeps the number odd. I played with various places to set the man, as I wanted a bit of balance visually in the foreground. The sun makes a kind of jagged circle.

I like the way you think, Lamar!

Terri

Mira

Terri, that makes sense :) Lamar, yeah, that thought had crossed my mind too :lol: (about one person and there stones, 1 and 3)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.