Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air I’m building myself a pochade box

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My plan initially was to build it to paint outdoors. I’m definitely going to do that next month when I’m in the country for a few days. But honestly, I just love the compactness of pochade boxes for studio use too. It is very easy to take it apart for storage.

I collected all materials over a period of about 2 years and kept adding bits and pieces. This is it’s current state.

Last week I glued in some cork plates. I used cardboard before and it works, but this should be a bit sturdier. I accidentally bought the cork a bit too thin. So I glued the left overs on top. It looks kinda weird but I expect it to work perfectly.

Today I screwed on the lid support.

Here’s my materials list so far (in euro’s):
        5,- Tripod with quick release plate (at the Queen’s Day flea market. I got very lucky there)
        16,- Mounting plate, incl. delivery (eBay UK)
        6,- Cork plates (hobby store)
        2,- Cigar box (thrift store)
        15,- Support lid, incl. delivery. I used a €2 glue clamp before. But this looks so much nicer. (eBay USA. I searched for 2 years, but this type is very hard to find for a decent price where I live :( )
        0,- Bits of wood, screws etc. I already had.

To do:
        My palet is now a piece of glass, taped to a bit of cardboard. It works, but I want to make something that fits in the bottom of the box an is still easy to clean.

Extremely well made. How does it look closed?

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thanks doug. Btw, plates = sheets. I’m not a native English speaker :)

This is closed:

Very tidy, I rotated the image.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.