WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States
Shutterbug Daily, Monday, April 30th, 2012

Off to the last day of school- critique day.

Bringing in all 18 oil paintings I completed this semester. I had no idea so many! Looking forward to getting this behind me...

I've begun posting all of these one at a time in the oil painting forum, hope you get a chance to view them.

All of them were done from photos I took myself, thanx for the inspiration.

I'll go to work after school, so check back in tomorrow.

Life is good

Greg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Shutterbug Daily, Monday, April 30th, 2012

Greg,
That was a lot of work.
I will go check out your paintings in the oil painting forum.

Rain is scheduled for the whole day today, including thunderstorms. My daughter bought me two pots of pansies this weekend so I just put them outside on the porch so they would get a good drink of rain water along with the BASIL I was growing in the house for my garden. I am thinking about getting some little pots to start some pepper plants inside of my house. I will feel safe in about two weeks to transfer them outside. Although it is suppose to get up in the 80's later this week, we have had frost warnings several times last week.

Well, April Showers bring May flowers so I am not going to complain about today's forcast.

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
Nikon D5100, 16-300mm Tamron lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Nice pix, I love pansies but never think to plant them....hmmmmm...

PS--honest comments about the paintings are hoped for, as a student of oil painting I sure can use all the crits I can get so I can grow. So far the comments have been helpful and made me think.

well, ate my scrambled with yallar grits and a cup o' joe so guess I'll get myself offen to da school now...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Good morning folks.

Well, it took a full day, but I've recovered from the 2 days of checking-in and hanging the art for our Spring Show.

Still don't know who won what. I usually hang around while the judge does his/her thing, but the show chairwoman kicked me out. Maybe I'll stop by this afternoon to see the finished exhibit. That'll tell me who the winners are, and maybe I can take some shots of the exhibit.

Here's a photo taken yesterday. Anyone know what these are? The blossoms are small - around 3 cm (about 1.25 in) and the plant grows about 2-3 feet high. The blossoms are at the ends of long slender green (not woody) stems.

Gotta go check our mini-garden. We got 2 short, 4" x 4" wooden garden boxes and a variety of soils and mulch. After leveling the ground and assembling the boxes, we tried something called "lasagna gardening". You start by putting down several layers of wet newspaper right on top of whatever (weeds/grass, etc.) is already there. Then add separate thin (1"-2") layers of soil, mulch, compost, other organic matter (shredded leaves or pine needles for example). They recommend 6-8 layers, and it seems that it doesn't really matter what order after an initial layer of rich soil. After all the layers are down, you give it a good soaking. Then you can either wait for the layers to mature or plant immediately. We went ahead and planted: tomatillos, several kinds of peppers, tomatoes, some herbs, and I forget what else.

The theory is that the wet newspapers at the bottom kill whatever is already growing underneath, making weeding or herbicide unnecessary. The newspapers degrade (along with whatever is below them) into a rich base layer of organic material/compost. We'll see how it works - the plants are growing well, but it'll be a few weeks/months until they fruit (we hope they do).

They say you can use the same layering method for growing stuff in containers. We'll try that next. I want to grow something that'll attract hummingbirds.
snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Gorgeous photos this morning. So nice to see the flowers, it's still raining here so I haven't been able to get my gardening done.
Dave I think that's some kind of trillium. The three layers of three are so lovely.
I was just reading about using the newsprint. I think I'll try that around my mailbox, it looks pretty bare with just grass there right now.

This is from my old garden I had a gigantic peony. I wish I could have brought some of my plants with me but we couldn't to prevent the gypsy moth infestation from spreading. Gypsy moths are horrible though so I didn't mind, I wouldn't want to spread it.

And a poor Dahlia that lost it's head.

Those were both taken with my old old digital. The front lens finally fell off of it and I had to retire it.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
A Local Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Today's theme (not mandatory, of course - post whatever you want) seems to be flowers. I like the images posted so far - nice work!

Virginia, yes mine does look like it could be some sort of Trillium. But so far I haven't been able to confirm that or determine what variety.
snilloRs.com
camera: Canon PowerShot SX40HS - photo editing: Photoshop CS5
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Hails from United States

When I was around 11 I was a girl scout and went on a Nature Walk where I learned about the endangered Trilliums. I was informed by the guide that it was against the law to pick them. That was probably the first I ever heard that there was laws about flowers.

Well, since that time I have been in search of Trilliums and sadly have never found one on any walk I had been on UNTIL I went to the Detroit Zoo last week. They have a special garden devoted to trilliums. And of course I took a picture of one :

"What we do during our working hours determines what we have; what we do during our leisure hours determines what we are. " - George Eastman
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

There are many legends about Trilliums here in the South. In the spring when these bloom, there are patterns on the leaves. The children, and many adults , would look for faces, letters, or ? on the leaves for good ( or bad ) luck.

If I can find one, I will post a photo of the leaves and the flower together. Lots of things in the patterns... kinda like cloud patterns. Other legends abound too. Trillium is a cool flower for writers.

life is good

greg
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM

Hails from United States

Greg,
I checked out several of your oils, nice work. I like how you have taken your topics of your paintings from photos of the city you live in. It makes it more interesting I feel.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
USA, on the edge of an atom

Hails from United States

Spent a few hours of the weekend in the Blue Ridge mountains. Beautiful. Hope to get some pics of the Mabry Mill posted soon. Missed posting lately. Beautiful stuff here. We are getting close to some blooms but you guys in the south are weeks ahead of us up north.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
USA

Hails from United States

V...beautiful Peony's. I planted a little bulb about 3 years ago now and has yet to bloom ...it gets taller every year it pops up so hoping this year perhaps it will bles me with a flower or 2!

Mine, from Glacier National Park...perhaps technically a weed but weeds can be beautiful too ...i'm that annoying neighbor that actually likes dandelions :-)
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Hails from United States

Moebean,
That is an GRAND photograph. It has an inspiring, uplifting feel to it.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
USA

Hails from United States

Thank you Luv ...i wish the clouds had a bit more structure to them...I guess if I ever get photoshop this would be on my list to tweak a bit.

I like the pansies...the photograph really picks up on the velvety soft texture they have.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

weeks ahead of you?

this year it is about 6 weeks ahead, got my first green tomatoes already, squash blossom or two, and the peas are about 3' high amd I have been eating fresh strawberries for over a month.

but come september and it is still 90 degrees I'll wish I was further north