Wet Canvas Art School...
Beginner's Guide to Oil Painting
Wet Canvas Articles Index...
Click link above and scroll down to Oil Painting where you can click on each one of the articles listed below:
- Painting Is A Miracle:
The virtue of painting has more to do with what happens to us when we make the painting than the painting itself.
- Painting The Luminous Skin:
Achieving convincing skin tones is one of the most challenging tasks the artist must confront. This brief article shows the work of three artists, with tips in their own words for achieving the luminous skin. Although the examples and tips are for oil painters, the principals are the same for any of the color media.
- Make Your Own Damar Varnish:
Making your own damar picture varnish and retouch varnish is both cost-effective and easy. This step-by-step tutorial by Robert Roberts removes the mysteries of oil painting's most frequently used varnish.
- Canvas Production, A Low Cost, Good Quality Way:
Chris Spangler demonstrates a way of creating your own stretched canvases with excellent step-by-step photos and tips on cutting costs - not quality!
- Glazing With Oils:
Have you been wanting to try your hand at glazing but just didn't know where to start? Join Bill Martin as he shares his glazing techniques in this step-by-step process.
- CANVAS STRETCHING MADE EASY:
Like to stretch your own canvas, but don't have a clue how to start? Use this step-by-step lesson and images to guide you along your way.
- Knife Painting Oil Landscape Demonstration:
Challenge yourself to paint more loosely with oils....join Jack Schuller as he shares his knife painting techniques in this demonstration of Old Baldy, a mountain landscape.
- Painting in the 21st Century:
In this day of the pixel, the artist's tool box has become bigger. Mike Callahan shows how he deals with the creation of a painting using real oil paint on real canvas, but in the twenty-first century - utilizing digital tools to make the task less arduous, allowing for more enjoyment in the doing of the painting. Using the camera and the computer as a layout tool, Mike shows why he believes the end result is better for it.
- How to Make a Wet Canvas Carrier:
Oil painters are always seeking new ways to transport wet paintings from the field or workshops. Watch as Wetcanvas! member, Lorelou, provides a unique at home construction lesson for a wet-canvas carrier!
- How to Varnish an Oil Painting:
Learn how to varnish your oil paintings with a traditional Damar varnish in this article by WetCanvas! member, JamieWG.
- Underpainting -
A primer for the new painter: This article discusses underpainting as a tool to learn value and how to represent a realistic 3d impression on a 2d surface. Specifically, the article covers the verdaccio underpainting method. It is geared to painters who want to paint in a realist manner.
- Melvin the Hound:
For those wishing to consider an alternative approach to oil painting that is very forgiving of the time and steps required, step inside the world of Dave (Iconoclast) Dowbyhuz, as he shows you his step by step creation of a portrait of his Basset Hound, Melvin.
- New Gamblin Oil Painting Medium:
Gamblin introduces Neo-Megilp, a new oil painting medium based on Turner's 18th century secret. Come get the scoop!
- Painting An Oil Plein Air Scene-
Armstrong Creek: Catch the excitement. Take on the sun! Shed winter's cabin fever in an early spring oil plein air session with Larry Seiler. Covering- your scene options; the set up; and getting it done!
- Oil Painting Demonstration -
Book Club: Scott Burdick extends a special invitation for you to view a still life oil painting demonstration by his wife Susan Lyon.
- Oil Painting Demonstration -
The Letter: Join noted artist, Scott Burdick, as he demonstrates a new oil painting: The Letter, a scene from China!
- Free Gamblin Paint for Artists in April:
Gamblin Artist Colors Offers New Paint Color - Torrit Grey 2001 - for free in April.
- John Hagan begins an interesting discussion of painting roses
- don't miss it!
- Join John Hagan as he creates a "cyberscape",
painting something contemporary using past techniques. Can he make something as uninteresting as a map of the world into something to turn heads? Don't miss it!
- Join noted artist Scott Burdick
on a remarkable journey as he creates a stunning portrait entitled "Portrait of Ruth".
- Gamblin Conservation Colors
now in use at museums globally
- Join noted artist John Hagan
for an insightful (and entertaining!) lesson on painting friends and relatives!
- Join John Hagan
for his latest lesson, "How to get the sparkle into painted eyes", or "The Grape, the Cherry, and the Eye"!
- Join Associate Editor, John Hagan,
for a discussion on painting for money. Add some commercial appeal to your work!
- Utrecht announces a new line of oil painting mediums
, including Damar Varnish, Retouch Varnish, Gloss and Matte Varnishes, Copal, Japan Drier, and an Alkyd Glazing medium.
- Do words like chroma and emulsion confuse you?
Not to worry! Pierre Labeau is back with a new beginner's art glossary.
- The cantankerous Pierre Labeau is back
from vacation, serving up some nifty tips for cartooning!
- Join noted fantasy artist and surrealist Michael Csontos
for an exciting new lesson which focuses on his wash techniques for oil painting as applied to surrealism and fantasy art!
- An artist's bread and butter
... the Golden Mean or the Golden Triangle?
- Join Pierre Labeau
as he provides tips for seascapes in his latest QuikTip!
- Join Pierre Labeau
for his latest QuikTip entitled, The Anatomy of a Tree!
- Resident cantankerous denizen, Pierre Labeau,
provides an excellent overview of various types of trees in his latest QuikTip!
- Join Pierre for a short
, but useful QuikTip on Drawing Horses!
- Join John Hagan
as he presents his revised collection of intro and advanced painting lessons. Painting with John Hagan is a now fully integrated within ArtSchool Online!
- Daler-Rowney offers free oil painting video:
- Winsor & Newton announces Winton Oil Colour
Soft Mixing White.
- The Oil Painting Guide has been updated with Maimeri's
new web site at www.maimeri.it
and product information.
- See two different approaches for drawing a jaguar in Pierre's
- English paint maker Daler-Rowney
has updated its line of Georgian Oils.
- Join Pierre for his latest QuikTip
- this time, he doles out some useful tips on painting rocks!
- What artist can avoid painting florals?
You can't!!! Join Pierre Labeau for his latest QuikTip which deals with painting a bunch of roses!
- Having trouble painting trombones, rings, or other items made of metal?
Be sure to take a look at Pierre's latest QuikTip entitled The Trouble with Trombones!
- Pierre shows you the ins and outs of painting the proverbial "green bottle"!
- Pick up some quick tips on painting a burning candle
in Pierre's latest QuikTip!
- Doing reflections in a drinking glass aren't tough at all.
Be sure to see Pierre's latest QuikTip!
- Spend your 4th of July with Pierre
learning how to paint water droplets!
- Joine Pierre Labeau
as he shows you the easy way to paint a bunch of grapes!
- All artists are asked to paint a rose at some point or another
- well, learn the basics from Pierre in his latest QuikTip!
- Join Pierre Labeau for another exciting QuikTip!
This time, he tackles working with kinetic motion - he paints a burning matchstick!
- New Article: Pierre Labeau's QuikTips #1:
Painting Ice Cubes
- Winsor & Newton announces a new series of Artisan Brushes
for use with water-soluble oil paints.
- Cadmium Red Hot Product Review!
Johnnie Liliedahl's Gardenias and Rosebuds video oil painting lesson!
- New consumer comment:
Sennelier Extra Fine Artists Oils
- Admiral Cowdisley Shovel:
The first lesson in a new series for beginning oil painters.
- Product Review:
Johnnie Liliedahl's Landscapes of France, oil/landscape video lessons
- Product Review: Johnnie Liliedahl's The Forked Path,
oil/landscape video lesson
- New Oil Painting Tutorial:
Painting a Simple 8x10 Vase in Still Life
- New Product Review:
Walter Foster's Oil Painting, A Complete Kit for Beginners
- Oil Paint Drying Times:
Did you know that different colors dry at different rates of speed? Yep - come take a look!
- Painting a Simple Vase:
A simple step-by-step demonstration for absolute beginners!
- A Simple Landscape Project:
Another simple, step-by-step demonstration for beginners!
- Simple Summer Foliage:
Painting foliage is always a challenge - come see a simple approach for beginners!
- Still Life with Legumes:
Join noted artist Diana Lee for an amazing step-by-step still life in oils!