Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Anyone use Krylon Quick Dry for Plein Air?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    chamisa

I saw this in the Amazon reviews on the Quick Dry:

“Perfect for plein air painting. I spray over the oil paintings and let dry for a few minutes before framing. Some of heavier paint is still damp but if handled carefully, framing before turning into competition is much easier!”

Have any of you used it for plein air paintings with success and not have cracking problems with it?

I don’t use any turps, only linseed or safflower oil, so have real slow drying, and I wonder if this is a solution when needing a painting to dry faster.
        Thanks

Lauresa

Hi Chamisa,

I haven’t used the Krylon, but I wondered if you have considered either cutting your linseed oil with Turp or OMS or using a linseed oil with dryers like Rublev Pale Drying Oil from Natural Pigments. In the field I have used Diamond Turpentine or OMS for blocking in and then switched to pale oil for sections that need softer edges. Turp dries almost too fast for me. I am going to try mixing half turp and half pale oil and taking that out with me next.

Hope you don’t mind my offering an alternative suggestion.

Good luck!

Laura

chamisa

Thanks Laura — I am[/I][/B] considering using linseed oil with dryer added. I don’t ususally use turps/OMS except sometimes outside with plein air for blocking in, but never in my studio.
                I’m wondering if you sell a painting you can speed up the drying for selling, shipping, displaying, and or framing with that Quick Dry product.

Prism914

I have used the Krylon Quick Dry. I use it before I take my oil painting(s) to a show. I’m usually painting until the last minute. Actually, the day before & sometimes the day I take it. I paint in thin layers so I don’t have any thick paint anywhere. I also use Alkyd Walnut Oil which causes the paint to be touch dry by the next day anyway. I’ve only partially painted one plein air painting, so I don’t know how wet the paint would be when you sprayed it.

I haven’t had any issues with it but I haven’t had any that I have sprayed any longer than a couple of years. I guess only time will tell. I have only been painting about 4 years and have only sold two paintings (one with the Quick Dry). But I have won several awards. : )

Hope this is helpful.
                    Pam

chamisa

Thanks Pam — I am shocked you can get touch dry in a day with Alkyd walnut oil! Do you live in the southwest or where there is very little humidity?
                        If that’s true then no need for the Quick Dry.

Can I ask what brand of AWO you’ve had luck with?

Prism914

You’re very welcome. I live outside St. Louis & there is an abundance of humidity. I paint in thin layers, though.

I use the M. Graham Walnut Alkyd Oil. I really like it! I have used Galkyd & gave it away. It was too sticky, even with the Gamsol added. I triied Liquin early on but can’t remember how it worked. Since using the M. Graham, I’m not really that interested in others. Although, I still have the Liquin & might try it again. I also used the Artisan Fast Dry which is for the water mixable oils. I believe it is an alkyd medium. I gave it away also.

As you can see, I highly recommend the M. Graham AWO.

Pam

chamisa

You’re very welcome. I live outside St. Louis & there is an abundance of humidity. I paint in thin layers, though.

I use the M. Graham Walnut Alkyd Oil. I really like it! I have used Galkyd & gave it away. It was too sticky, even with the Gamsol added. I triied Liquin early on but can’t remember how it worked. Since using the M. Graham, I’m not really that interested in others. Although, I still have the Liquin & might try it again. I also used the Artisan Fast Dry which is for the water mixable oils. I believe it is an alkyd medium. I gave it away also.

As you can see, I highly recommend the M. Graham AWO.

Pam

Thanks Pam
                                I’m going to order some then and try it out. I like walnut oil because it doesn’t yellow.
                                I have some of M. Graham paints and really like them.
                                I’ve been concerned with using any drying type mediums because I clean and store my brushes with oil and don’t want any dryer mixed in, but I’m thinking as long as I really clean out the alkyd oil before dipping them in storage oil, they will be fine.

Prism914

I agree. I think as long as you clean your brushes well, you’ll be fine.

BTW, what oil are you using for storage? And does it condition the brushes?
                                    I am trying Kafka Brush Oil & Conditioner, but don’t have an opinion on it yet.

And to keep on track, I recommend the Krylon Quick Dry. I have used it & like it. Although, I haven’t used it for Plein Aire paintings. I am an indoor painter.

chamisa

So do you use the Krylon along with the alkyd walnut oil ? Super fast drying with both?

I use linseed or walnut oil for a medium, but use straight refined safflower oil I buy cheap at Whole Foods for cleaning, and then after the last cleaning wipe I dip in small jar of same safflower oil but with clove oil added which extends drying. If brushes are not used, I redip them once a week, but I’ve checked carefully with my Rosemary and other top end brushes and they stay wet and saturated in oil even longer than two weeks without a dip.
                                        The trick is to remember to wipe all that oil off really well before using them to paint.

I paint almost everyday, so After a month or two I will usually do a real cleaning of the brushes with turp and or ivory soap.

Prism914

Thank you for the added info.

I use the Krylon Quick Dry on the painting after I have painted with the Alkyd Walnut Oil as my medium.

The quick dry is just a light finish. Kind of like a varnish or maybe closer to retouch varnish. It also gives a little gloss & makes the painting have an even sheen.

The label says:
                                            Apply between paint layers to prevent blending & add highlights. (I haven’t used it that way.)
                                            Mix into paint like a medium to improve flow & dry time. (I already have an alkyd medium so haven’t done this either.)
                                            Spray lightly onto completed painting for transporting before fully dry. (This is the way & reason I use it.)
                                            Contains UV light absorbers & stabilizers.
                                            Helps speed the oxidization process of the paint so the painting will dry faster. Can be used at any step of the painting process. Allows oil paints to continue drying through the film. Painting can be safely varnished once completely dry. Quick Dry dries in 10-15 minutes.

Hope that gives anyone interested the details of the product so they can make a decision on whether they would like to try it.

Pam

chamisa

Great info ^^^ thanks!

Irlynda

I have not tried Krylon Quick Dry for plein air yet but if you are close to a Hobby Lobby craft store all Krylon products are on clearance for $2.99! I cleaned out the Abilene, Texas store.
                                                    I also use acrylic paint for quick studies and colors studies. All Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic paints are also on clearance for 80-90% off.

Will post results of Krylon Quick Dry for plein air in a day or so.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]irlSmith Art

contumacious

I have not tried Krylon Quick Dry for plein air yet but if you are close to a Hobby Lobby craft store all Krylon products are on clearance for $2.99! I cleaned out the Abilene, Texas store.
                                                        I also use acrylic paint for quick studies and colors studies. All Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic paints are also on clearance for 80-90% off.

Will post results of Krylon Quick Dry for plein air in a day or so.

Wow! That is more than 80% off list and 70% less than Blick sells it for. I wish there was a Hobby Lobby near me – 400 mile drive to the closest one. There are several of their products I do use frequently.

I have a can of the Quick Dry but have never used it, probably because I leave it home every time I go painting.

budigart

For years, I’ve simply added a bit of a dryer to my home-made medium . . . equal parts OMS and linseed oil. I first used a bit of Liquin added to my medium, and later switched to cobalt dryer. A few drops of cobalt into my medium gives me a touch dry painting the next day.

I worry about spraying a separate isolating coat of something on wet paint.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.