Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Walnut Oil as Medium

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’m pretty sure this might’ve already been covered here, but I couldn’t seem to find it.
    I have been painting in Oil Paints since last year. Pretty soon after starting it, I started having inconveniences with the turpentine, so I started painting with just linseed oil, but it’s a bit more viscous and thick than what I actually wanted. So I’m planning to replace it with walnut oil. My question is , can I use walnut oil with paints that are mixed with linseed oil? Since the paint tubes I use have linseed oil premixed with the paint.

Delofasht

You most certainly can. Walnut oil takes longer to dry than linseed though typically, just be aware that adding some to your paint will mean a slower drying paint.

- Delo Delofasht

Thanks for the info!
        I hope I manage to adjust to the slower drying time, I usually finish a painting within a day.

contumacious

You can also mix walnut oil with linseed to obtain a drying time between the two. Introducing OMS to either the straight walnut oil or a mix gives you even more options as far as viscosity and drying time. I use more OMS for the first layer, starting at 1:1 oil to OMS, then progressively less OMS in the ratio for additional layers.

You can also mix walnut oil with linseed to obtain a drying time between the two. Introducing OMS to either the straight walnut oil or a mix gives you even more options as far as viscosity and drying time. I use more OMS for the first layer, starting at 1:1 oil to OMS, then progressively less OMS in the ratio for additional layers.

Oh,
            I didn’t know that!
            Great to know that these two mediums can be mixed!

I have never used OMS. Ive become paranoid about all these minerals and solvents since using turpentine! Lol.
            But I have seen many videos and articles stating that OMS are much better and tolerable than turpentine.
            Thanks for the information! Really appreciated.
            Glad to have found this great community.

WFMartin

As has been mentioned, already, yes, you surely CAN mix Linseed Oil, and Walnut Oil together. In fact, I use a glazing medium that I invented that has both Walnut Oil, and Linseed Oil as two of its ingredients.

However, be cautious of using only a drying oil, or a solvent alone, as a “painting medium”. Your best choice would be a combination of the two, mixed together.

You can use a drying oil all by itself, but the result is that it will likely require a long time to dry, and may be a bit glossy, and remain somewhat tacky upon drying. Using only a solvent may result in the paint particles being washed free of their binding oil, causing the paint to become powdery upon drying and chalking off when touched. This represents what is known as an underbound condition, and it represents a weakened paint film.

Equal portions of a drying oil and a solvent is a good compromise.:)

And, for what it may be worth, Oil of Spike Lavender is much more tolerable as a solvent, in terms of actual toxicity than either Turpentine or OMS.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

As has been mentioned, already, yes, you surely CAN mix Linseed Oil, and Walnut Oil together. In fact, I use a glazing medium that I invented that has both Walnut Oil, and Linseed Oil as two of its ingredients.

However, be cautious of using only a drying oil, or a solvent alone, as a “painting medium”. Your best choice would be a combination of the two, mixed together.

You can use a drying oil all by itself, but the result is that it will likely require a long time to dry, and may be a bit glossy, and remain somewhat tacky upon drying. Using only a solvent may result in the paint particles being washed free of their binding oil, causing the paint to become powdery upon drying and chalking off when touched. This represents what is known as an underbound condition, and it represents a weakened paint film.

Equal portions of a drying oil and a solvent is a good compromise.:)

I will definitely keep that in mind that drying oils and solvents in combination is better than just one alone.
                I have felt it too , when I paint with only linseed oil , the paint seems very sticky and doesn’t spread easily.
                Thank so much for the info!

WFMartin

I will definitely keep that in mind that drying oils and solvents in combination is better than just one alone.
                    I have felt it too , when I paint with only linseed oil , the paint seems very sticky and doesn’t spread easily.
                    Thank so much for the info!

I added an “edit” to my previous post, in which I mentioned that Oil of Spike Lavender is more tolerable than either Turpentine, or OMS.:)

I added an “edit” to my previous post, in which I mentioned that Oil of Spike Lavender is more tolerable than either Turpentine, or OMS.:)

I’ll definitely try Spike Lavender oil, thanks again for the info!!

WFMartin

The Art Treehouse is an excellent source for all of these medium ingredients:

https://www.arttreehouse.com/store/

Humbaba

Due to the natural weakness of Walnut oil, it shouldn’t be used alone as a medium, the advice of mixing it with Linseed oil is quite sound. I use a modified medium based mainly of Walnut oil, but contains 10% Amber varnish, excellent for general purpose, or glazing.

Delofasht

Humbaba, never seen any data showing Walnut oil to have a natural weakness, where did you get such information?

- Delo Delofasht
                                Harold Roth

I have not seen any such data either, and have been doing a lot of reading about drying oils lately. Colourfulpalette, I find walnut oil to be more slippery than linseed, which I appreciate, so that is something to take into consideration also. You can get it with alkyd in it if you want it to dry faster. Then if you use walnut oil with alkyd in it throughout the painting, you are good. No need for anything else except to clean your brushes with plain oil.

Anonymous

this guy used walnut oil:

JCannon

Time to say it again: The cracks in Mona are primarily the due to the varnish. At least, that’s what most sources say. There are Raphaels painted with walnut oil which still look fresh and unblemished.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Walnut Oil as Medium’ is closed to new replies.