Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Pencil Sharpener

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jonesbf

I have some Fabre Castell as well as some Caran d’Ache watercolor pencils. I have a good Xacto electric sharpener for my Prismacolors, but the other brands don’t fit in there. Can anyone suggest a good sharpener for the larger diameter pencils?

Thanks

Wassie

I have an X-Acto Pro X that has 6 holes and one is for large pencils.

The more the time passes the more I advocate a good X-Acto knife or equivalent. The capability of making a point the exact shape you want and the much less stress on the pencil core pay up on the long run. Of course for someone that is very old with debilitated movements it might not be a good option.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

marksmomagain

I predominately always used single-edged razor blades and pocket, craft or x-acto type knives (since I was a kid). Sand paper to hone a good point. Also different models of the small hand-helds at times. Or just a mechanical or clutch pencil, but that limits the brands of cores you can use.

However I found a great crank sharpener on the clearance rack awhile back and it’s been performing darn near flawlessly. It’s a Derwent Super Point. It takes many different diameters. I use it on everything including graphite, oil-base, pastel, charcoal, cp,wc, conte, etc.

I still hand-sharpen, but this sharpener is really very good.

jonesbf

I have an X-Acto Pro X that has 6 holes and one is for large pencils.

I too have an X-Acto Pro X Classroom sharprener, but it tends not to sharpen evenly. The point is pretty good, but the wooden casing comes down much farther on the point on one side than on the other.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.