Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Learning to draw a step by step approach

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Retiree

I have decided to use Barrington Barber’s ” The Artist’s Complete Book of Drawing: A Step-By-Step Professional Guide” to learn how to draw. I am going to start from the first exercise and work my way through. I have had many, many drawing technique books and finally gave most of them away to the library or second hand bookstore as I would read but never really do the exercises. I like step by step. That is the way I learn. That is the way I learned to paint in acrylics with step-by-step instructions and now I feel confident in painting my own creations with the step by step techniques I previously learned. I know that many drawing artists say to just look at an object and draw it. Well, I find that too difficult as a beginner. I find that just in the matter of the texture of the object to draw, I am at a loss on how to proceed. Yet if I copy a drawing using that texture in my book mentioned above then it gives me a where to start confidence.

Alison2

Go for it!

Alison:wave:

Whatever works for you is the right way to go. Just keep in mind that there are many different ways to work with graphite and the books I have seen only talk about the author’s methods. These are neither right nor wrong, but there are almost always alternative methods. For instance, many if not most books talk about blending with a tortillon or some other tool. The reality is that blending that way is fine for some but others do not blend with tools but rather blend with graphite. Neither is right nor wrong .. just different and end up with different results. Some say to use razor sharp pencils .. I use mine as dull as they can get generally. So keep that in mind when you work through the exercises.

Retiree

Thank you all for your comments. I am aware that there are many different approaches. I am going to post my progress as well.

Keep in mind that the non step by step style of teaching has a reason for it. When you learn things on step by step way you learn to do that thing.. now how to do anything and everything. So you can do something faster, but you have to keep learning for longer to achieve the same level of versatility.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Retiree

Keep in mind that the non step by step style of teaching has a reason for it. When you learn things on step by step way you learn to do that thing.. now how to do anything and everything. So you can do something faster, but you have to keep learning for longer to achieve the same level of versatility.

Well, my step by step approach did not last long. I am now interested in the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain approach.

tonybbc

Have you tried Wet Canvas one to one drawing classes. The Classroom, in Drawing and sketching forum. This is where my wife and I started. You start with the basics and work your way through.

Tony

Retiree

Have you tried Wet Canvas one to one drawing classes. The Classroom, in Drawing and sketching forum. This is where my wife and I started. You start with the basics and work your way through.

Tony

Well, I got as far as the tree lesson. And I did not finish the tree. Although I finally figured out how to make the bark of the tree look like the photo of the tree. Arnoud is fantastic as the Instructor. I should go back. Arnoud actually told me to go on to the next lesson and forget the tree. I think he gave up on me or I guess I gave up on me (you should take a look at my tree:lol: ) I should go back and continue the lessons. I mean how lucky am I/we to have an instructor to critique me/us. I think I will, thank you for reminding me of the drawing class here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.