Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture sleeping girl (WIP)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    mudar

hi
        i have no real experience with sculpturing but i decide to make this one and i didn’t finish it yet
        its sandstone 50*25*25 cm
        i had trouble with drilling within narrow areas such as the bottom of the arm, using only hand tools such as Hammer and chisel
        waiting an advance or mabye critic

Mudar Salimeh
        my blog

my facebook

Tedrex

Not that bad at all, I like the pose. Are you using chisels and mallet? The texture of the carving is confusing me a bit.

ArtsyLynda

Nice job! I haven’t carved sandstone (I’ve only done a little stonework in soapstone and alabaster). Does it have a grainy feel? Will it sand smooth? Just curious.

The only critique I have is the area at the top of her back by her hair. With the shoulder included, it looks almost like the top of a heart, so to my eye, there’s too deep a dip at the bottom of her neck/top of her back. Sculpture Dolls is a figurative expert, so she should be more help than me. Keep up the good work!

ArtsyLynda

Nice job! I haven’t carved sandstone (I’ve only done a little stonework in soapstone and alabaster). Does it have a grainy feel? Will it sand smooth? Just curious.

The only critique I have is the area at the top of her back by her hair. With the shoulder included, it looks almost like the top of a heart, so to my eye, there’s too deep a dip at the bottom of her neck/top of her back. Sculpture Dolls is a figurative expert, so she should be more help than me. Keep up the good work!

Tedrex

I am from northern England and all what we have here is sandstone from the Carboniferous period. I use the fine-grained sandstone, medium to hard for carving, and yes, it does have a grainy feel to it. It can be smoothed out, but not at the alabaster level.

What usually I do once I finished carving my piece, I use Carborundum stone to polish it to give it that fine look, and at the very end, I use the diamond file to refine those little details.

ArtsyLynda

Thanks for the explanation!

mudar

Not that bad at all, I like the pose. Are you using chisels and mallet? The texture of the carving is confusing me a bit.

yes i use chisels and mallet only, thank for looking

Mudar Salimeh
                                my blog

my facebook

mudar

i like sandstone not hard but coherent thank for telling what you see, i need to hear what people see

Mudar Salimeh
                                    my blog

my facebook

mudar

thx all
                                        i will share more when i fish

Mudar Salimeh
                                        my blog

my facebook

Very good! I like how the weight of her body resting can be felt. She has a nice relaxed pose. The shoulder area that Lynda mentioned does have a bit of a distortion. I am not sure what you could do about that at this point. With clay you can always add more back if needed. Perhaps you could define a little more of her hair that is trailing down the back. That would pull the eye looking there instead of the shoulder corner that is sticking up.

I like what you have done! Great work on your first sculpture piece!:clap:

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                                        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

mudar

didnt finsh it yet , with no time to work, but i think its better now

Mudar Salimeh
                                            my blog

my facebook

ArtsyLynda

Looking good! Keep up the good work!

ArtsyLynda

Looking good! Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing!

She looks cozy and I like her feet curled up together. Good work and keep sculpting!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                                                    [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

mudar

She looks cozy and I like her feet curled up together. Good work and keep sculpting!

thank you Tamara , i’m working on it , i love this work, it spend my time, i cant feel time during work i’m a painter but how knows, maybe after this i wll not stop sculpturing

Mudar Salimeh
                                                        my blog

my facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.