WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from Bahamas
The Sea, the Beautiful Sea (X 2) and a Still-Life

I haven't poted anything in this forum for a very long time because I've been working on other things. Here are three recent ones.

The first is this weeks effort (X-posted in the AMAE forum) for the Weekend Drawing Event hosted by Helen. Her challenge was texture ( and her Fla. vaca) and I combined about 7 of her 16 images to come up with this. 12" X 12". It has a 'iron' door grill made from thick wc paper that I carved out and texturized, a clay pagoda that I carved out, sea shells, coral, torn maps and papers, glass beads, metal fish, acrylic paints and inks and probably some things I am forgetting. I am an American who has lived in the Bahamas for quite some time and it has really awakened my soul so this whole theme ended up being very personal to me. And it was FUN!

The second is from Swissmiss's (Mary's) WDE on April 6 (x-posted in the AMAE forum)- she posted some beautiful still life and floral arrangements. I NEVER ever do those subjects so it was a challenge for me to step out of my comfort zone. This is 30" X 30"
Acrylic, metalic acrylics, lace paper, torn papers, old gift wrapping paper, inks and a white-out pen for the lettering. I learned a lot on this one. The poem is a spiritual one about creating and the gifts we are given.

The third is totally me. I live in the Bahamas, snorkel every day that the water is clear and am inspired by the creatures I see daily. The life under the sea is a dreamland. That trunkfish really looks like that in real life! 30" X 30". Mostly acrylics with some dyes and inks, encaustics, sea fans that washed up on shore, shells, lace paper, marbled papers, glass fish, mosaic glass, beads, kitchen sink.

Thanks for looking!

Li

"Success won't spoil me; I've been insufferable for years!" fran lebowitz
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: The Sea, the Beautiful Sea (X 2) and a Still-Life

Well, I could go on and on about your use of color, because I think these are all exquisite! But what really grabbed me, especially with the first, is the texture. I know it was a texture challenge, so I'll just simply say, you "win"!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
central Missouri

Hails from United States

Wow, these are really well done. Like them all. I am envious of yours based on your daily snorkeling! But also, the textures are super.

Terry
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Nr. Congleton, South Cheshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Wow! from me too! Brilliant use of colour and texture!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Put me on the "WOW" list!!! I think all three are gorgeous.
Regards,
Greg.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

I've already told you but I'll say it again... these are spectacular! I love all three of them. You may have been out of your comfort zone but Li is still recognizable in the work.
"I get up, I walk, I fall down, meanwhile I keep on dancing." Hillel

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Wallaceburg,Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

All are great, but I'm really drawn to the third one! I feel like I'm under the sea!

Patty
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:32 PM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

I love them all and cannot pick a favorite. In the first one I love the use of words being a poetry writer. The second one is very French looking; LOVE THIS ONE! And the third is brilliant! You live in a beautiful part of the world. There is not a single ref pic of your's that I do not like in the image library. You are a gifted artist.

Painting should be a happy experience, not a pressured activity. No artist can paint a masterpiece every time he paints.” ~Lian Quan Zhen -