WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#766   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: Supplies while sketching/journaling - version 2

Rainy, I always buy the Visions by the box. They are so easy to find, reasonably priced, and I use them for everything when not using fountain pens. The only big problem is trying to keep other family members from making off with them.

Jan, I want to see Habanero tests! Thanks for showing us the Pigmented Sepia on the other thread. If you let it set up, is it waterproof?

LOL about the AMASS T-shirt. There is actually an official AMASS logo around here somewhere. The AMASS group started back around 2003 or 2004 I think. We had a chat thread in a little corner of the Color Theory forum. I'll have to see it I can dig up some of those funny posts and the logo.

Count me in for an Ahab! I'm in the midst of working on a painting now, so I won't be able to order right away....hope there will be some left; otherwise I guess I'll get one on the next round.

Jamie
  #767   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I'm undecided on the Ahab. I got the regular Noodler's flex nib pen a few weeks ago. I filled it with "Bad Green Gator" ink, also Noodler's. Used it a little bit with writing. Set it down in favor of the "Heart of Darkness" in an eye-dropper Platinum Preppy. Picked up the flex pen and the thing is dry. Also, when using it as delivered, it didn't give me much flex. I hadn't gotten around to playing with the nib to see if I could improve things.
  #768   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I had purchased three flex pens, Debby. . . two were ok and one was a dud. Brian did take it back though. I, too, had tried it with different inks.

Last edited by RainySea : 11-18-2011 at 09:35 PM.
  #769   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2011, 11:17 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

RE: Noodler's Flex pens --- I admire his attempts to fill this flex niche with something downright cheap. I mean really a cheap-o pen. It's a courageous attempt. . . . [cough cough] I will try an Ahab I guess but my expectations are rock-bottom.

RE: AMASS logo --- Here it is. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Jan, I want to see Habanero tests! Thanks for showing us the Pigmented Sepia on the other thread. If you let it set up, is it waterproof
Ask and ye shall receive!

RE: the Habanero --- Below is the Habanero compared to Apache Sunset, Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki, and my ole fav PR Orange Crush.
-- The Habanero and the Apache Sunset are mighty close in color. Almost identical, except the Habanero shades just a tad more. That is, it leaves an ever so faint darker line around the edges of the mark. As you can see, they both wash into red+yellow. Not that anyone would do wash sketches with either of theses, but there it is.
-- The Fuyu-gaki is more of a pure orange hue. Less shading but it has more of a glow to it. Like it's more "straight up", as it were. You can see that with the wash. Pure orange, no other colors. It had significant and almost deal-killing feathering problems with my standard sketchbook paper, the Aquarius II. That might be because of the wet dip pen nib I used. [shrug]
-- I love the bloody orangeness of PR Orange Crush and actually kinda like how it washes. This is one of my favorite inks for writing. (Funny about me and PR inks. I just seem to really like the over-the-topness of their inks. No daintyness about 'em.)

RE: the Platinum Pigmented Sepia --- I got out that sample I did yesterday and put a wet brush to the word "Sepia" and you can see the faint wash. So no, not 100% waterproof on the Aquarius II. Que sera, sera!

Jan

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#770   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Jan, yep, that's the AMASS logo!

Thanks so much for showing these comparisons and tests. Big help! That sure is a lot of feathering on the Iroshizuku. They are beautiful colors to write with!

Too bad about the Sepia running. I think the new Noodlers 41 is the best I've seen so far in terms of a waterproof brown, though I'll keep my eyes open.

I'll bet if you take that PR Orange Crush and add a touch of PR Velvet Black, you'll get a great washable brown. Velvet Crush!

Jamie
  #771   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

This must be the kind of pencil not to use if you're sketching in the Amazon!

#772   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Great sketch and I think the bird just wanted to help, LOL. That is so funny. Curious little thing it is. Thanks for sharing.
  #773   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Wow, that is fascinating! My chickens will do the same thing. haha! But what a beautiful bird. Thank you for sharing the video!
  #774   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

priceless!

and a great sketch despite the 'help'

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #775   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

The Noodler's Ahab that I ordered arrived today and it is huge compared to the regular flex pens. Anyhow, gave it the new pen bath and flush early this afternoon and just inked it up with Daimine Burnt Sienna. This pen writes much drier than the regular flex pens without flexing which I find to be a good thing and while flexing will lay down a fairly wet line but have to go relatively slow as with the regular flex pens. The only thing I really hope that is improved is the nib drying issue that plagued the regular ones and it seems to be better as I laid the pen down uncapped for about a minute and it started right back up with no problems. Now to see how it does capped and stored nib up for a couple of hours.

EDIT: please note that my observations only relate to the pen that I have and these observations may or may not describe any other AHAB pen.

Here is a pic of it between the TWSBI and the regular Noodler's Flex to give you an idea of the size:

Trying is the first step towards failure. - Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Last edited by WC Lee : 11-21-2011 at 07:01 PM.
  #776   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

WC, thanks for the early review! How did you get yours so soon? I'm disappointed that it's a dry writer....Even the older version has trouble keeping up with my writing. I love that you showed it here with the TWSBI and older version, since I just ordered both of those today! Woohoo! That TWSBI makes me drool every time I see it, so I had to take the plunge.

I detached a tendon in my right hand a couple of years ago and had surgery to reattach it, and writing with a flex pen seems to be one of the few things that still really bothers me. The small girth of the older Noodler's Flex has been a problem for me (along with the drying out nib, railroading, etc.) My Eversharp Symphony flex pens are a lot easier to work with. I'm hoping the Ahab is easier on my hand. Congratulations on scoring one so soon!

I'm glad y'all enjoyed the video. She has a wonderful blog. Check out the larger drawings on toned paper. Amazing stuff.

Jamie
  #777   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thank you for reporting on the Ahab flex pen. I was very tempted to buy it. That was before I got a regular Noodler's flex pen. That was disappointing. It hardly holds any ink and for me, is difficult to flex the tip. I have wrist problems that large amounts of pressure while writing aggravate. This one sounds no better in the flexing department. I like a fountain pen because I can create a mark or write without a lot of pressure on my part.
  #778   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

Jamie - You're welcome I ordered it from ISellPens when I saw they had it available already and while I was there I got the TWSBI as well The TWSBI is quite a beauty to look at that I don't want to put any ink into it well not yet anyhow.

As far as the Ahab being a dry writer, it isn't all that dry but compared to the regular one, it is but with a tiny bit of pressure it will lay down a nice wet line. The flexing aspect is pretty much the same as the regular version, not that easy and do require a bit of pressure plus need to go slow as well. The Ahab seems to be well balanced to me even with the cap posted and quite light even when inked up to full capacity.

Debby - You're welcome Initially I didn't plan on getting the Ahab but figure I give it a try so I only got one The one good thing about the Ahab I got is that I can at least use it without the flexing aspect since it writes considerably drier than the regular flex pens that i have that the ink just flow out like a faucet.

Oh if you are having trouble with dry nibs in any fountain pens other than the Noodler's Flex Pens, try adding a drop or two of distilled water to the ink. I do that quite often though depending on the ink, I might add more: Bay State Blue for example, I can dilute it almost 4 parts ink and 1 part water and it barely made a difference in saturation but it made it behave better. However, everything I tried to get the old Noodler's Flex pens to function to my satisfaction did not work, still trying though.

---

Here is a writing sample using the Ahab on cheap lined pads from Staples:

#779   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I just am getting ready to order an Ahab and also a Kwaeco Ice and Noodler's 41 brown. But wondering about it after reading that the nib as dry . . . thanks for the review!

Jamie, thanks for the info on the book!

Last edited by RainySea : 11-21-2011 at 10:14 PM.
  #780   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Randolph, MA

Hails from United States

You're welcome Rainy As you know, Noodler's pens vary from pen to pen, this one i have might be more on the dry side but doesn't mean all of them are plus I inked it up with an ink that is more on the dry side in almost any pen I have so that would have made it seem even drier than it would if I used a free flowing ink or one with lubrication such as Noodler's Eel series.

The Kaweco pens are wonderful pens, writes quite smooth and caps into a nice compact pocket size. I recently got the blue one to dedicate it to Bay State Blue when the ink in the Noodler's pen runs dry.