Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Too much depth…and glowing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bella369

Hi everyone,
        I’m new and not quite sure if this is the right forum for my questions, but here it goes…

I’m currently painting a dark, misty forest with deer (acrylic) and while I’m quite happy with the layers of trees and deer, I’m not too happy with my path. I’ve used viridian with lamp black and titanium white mixed with some burnt umber (a little more t.white tinted with burnt umber to lighten the middle). It was okay just like that, however, then I thought I’d mix a tiny bit of medium yellow to help brighten the middle up. What I’ve ended up with is a too realistic path tinted with the ‘wrong’ shade of green in the middle and far too much depth. What would be the best way (e.g. what colours) to reduce the depth? Or have I already overworked it? Also, I noticed that when I turned off most my lights last night to go to bed the paintings background (background: t.white and viridian and touch of black, darker viridian shade towards the edge) seemed to be glowing :confused: I’m assuming it’s the semitransparent viridian and the white underneath producing this effect, but I’m wondering if I could add a glaze over top to stop it? It’s a cool effect and all, but I wanted the picture matter to convey an eerie feel, not glowing paint to do it!
        TIA for any suggestions/tips :)
        ~ Bella

La_

a pic would be helpful … any red in the piece? red is greens compliment and it might work well … purple is yellows compliment and might work well to calm the path.

la

virgil carter

A photo would be a big help…

Sling paint,
                Virgil

Sling paint,
                Virgil Carter
                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Bella369

Apologies all, posting a photo of the painting would’ve been easier than trying to explain it (which I’ll do next time when asking for advice on a particular piece).

la – Thank you for the tip. I was able to rework the path after killing off the yellow with t.white tinted with violet. I haven’t added the trees red flowers yet, which I’m thinking of putting in heavier than originally planned to balance out/ cover more of the background. Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

~ Bella

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.