Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Studio WIP Bay Horse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leah Howard

I just bought some OPs today to try out. This is my second drawing and I’m starting to figure out how to make these cheapest-of-the-cheap OPs work for me a tiny bit. I can’t wait to get a nicer set because this is so much fun. I tend to be kind of rushed in my art and that often stops me from picking up a paint brush even when I want to. Usually I know I won’t have time or patience to get things just right so just sit there feeling anxious instead of doing art. There’s something different with OPs… like I feel like I can scribble away until it starts to look like something, and for now I feel like I can allow myself to be happy with something that I feel would not be good enough with acrylic or oil paint. (I mean that only in a good way!)

Anyway, long introduction over. This is on some sort of 9×12 sketch paper I had sitting around. C & c welcomed although I feel with these cheap OPs I’m using, I’ve worked over, scraped off, and reworked problem spots (like the eyes and ears) so much I can’t really put down any more pastel.

I’m using a reference image from pexels.com but I wasn’t too worried about being precise. I want to make sure I make this more about fun. :)

Thanks for looking. I’m excited to work on the background tomorrow and hopefully have a chance to get a picture in better light!

C&C Welcome!
        @leahpaints

Mira

Hi Leah, welcome to the Oil Pastels Forum :wave:

This is a great-looking horse ;) will get even better with the background!

Hope you’ll feel more freedom and more opportunities with OPs when you get a better quality set! ;)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Great going, Leah! Glad you’re enjoying the op’s so far!

Christel

Rich A

Very nice. I like how the strokes matches the contours of the muscles and body. Good work with the cheapies.

terriks

Great work so far, Leah! I agree with your assessment of what makes OP’s so fun – the ability to just pick one up and get some marks in without thinking too much about setup.

You are obviously an experienced artist, so once you get the feeling of the OPs and treat yourself to better quality (as discussed in your other thread), there’s no telling what you’ll get from them. You’ll probably want to think about different papers soon, as well. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

SarahY

It’s going really well, look forward to seeing the finish!

http://www.shyeomans.co.uk
                        \m/ neue deutsche härte \m/
                        Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...

Leah Howard

Thank you all so much for such nice comments! I’m about dying to get some nice Ops now. I’m afraid I bother the background on this… hopefully temporarily. I only got in like 4 layers and the colors are still too bright an overpowering the horse, and I had set it up as if I could layer lighter colors over dark even though I can’t with these, so it’s a mess. I’ll post it at some point to ask some pointers on how to fix it if my internet cooperates. I’m pretty sure I can’t fix it until I have something that will layer over these cheap OPs. Oopsie.

C&C Welcome!
                            @leahpaints

terriks

It’s not hard to understand that you were eager to go straight to your sketch of the horse, and he turned out great. :) But yes, it can be challenging to go back and fill in a background once your subject is done.

You might want to sketch out a background and think about those colors before you start on your main subject. It can be helpful in planning the whole painting.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Leah Howard

Yes, I think next time I’ll plan out the background more thoroughly. The background is usually the most difficult part for me anyway. :D

C&C Welcome!
                                    @leahpaints

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.