Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nha63

I’m slowly recovering from the moody clouds I submitted last; this is much more in keeping with my usual work. It’s 12×16 on UArt 400 with Mount Visions and a few Art Spectrum UltraLights and Great Americans. I think the colors might be a bit too high key, but that seems to be how my work turns out; comments and critiques are always welcomed. Thanks for looking. Neal

water girl

I think your palette works quite nicely. I can almost see an old tractor or auto in that barn. I do have one small suggestion, and you know how picky I get. :lol: I really like the effect you have achieved with the stand of dark green evergreens. Stand back and consider that the lighter strokes are too uniform in vertical spacing. You could add a small amount of variety. And here comes my final comment….this is your painting, always consider any suggestions before changing a thing.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

franglais

Hi, Neal! I love your colors in this, and I think the clouds look great. Love the rusty reddish tin roof against the backdrop of the green fir trees in the distance. The the dip in the roof of the barn gives it a feeling of real age. Just one tiny little suggestion, to do with as you will, of course. The right rear of your barn roof appears to come out just slightly in front of… or where your tree is standing. Yet the end of that side of the barn appears to be farther back. I think you could simply bring the tree forward by adding in some trunk color and covering that tiny corner of your barn…. thus pushing the barn roof back a bit. It’s a beautiful piece and your color contrasts are wonderful. Bravo! Mike

Donna T

Very nice work, Neal, and your colors look the same as I see out my window today. There is a lot of harmony between the rusted roof and the warm colors of the field grass and the trees beyond. Karen and Mike have some good thoughts. I’ll just add that I like your previous moody clouds and find it interesting that clouds play a big role in this painting too. They are making me realize how much they influence whatever they happen to be floating above, as if they can’t be ignored.

Donna
                    C&C Always Welcome

Humburger

Lovely. :-)

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

water girl

Mike caught a small correction. It is when your subjects “kiss”, it’s difficult to recognize which is forward, which recedes. This is something that is common in still life. By extending the left side of the tree trunk a bit to the left, it will cut off the corner of the roof, bringing the tree forward. Good eye, Mike!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

nha63

Thanks Karen, Mike, Donna and Ginny. I never post a painting until it’s in a frame (or more likely in a box to be framed or not), but I did dig this one out and do some tree “untrimming”. I had tackled the dark green trees several times already, but gave them one more set of highlights to break up lines, and I took Mike’s suggestion and put a little more heft in the tree trunk, though not very much, as I didn’t want all the branches to look too thin. Thanks for the ideas and help – that’s what Wet Canvas is all about.

Ron

Nicely done. Good suggestions by others. Much enjoyed..!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.