WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2006, 08:09 PM
A WC! Legend
My part of the universe

Hails from United States
Re: Making Scratchboards

That's exactly what happened with my experiment! My ink and gesso combo was too darn thick. So the scratching didn't work out! Talk about skipping on the surface. The surface prep on the eagle here was perfect! So,I guess I'll just keep working on my Ampersand Claybord and Essdee!! They cost $,but they're worth it!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 AM
Immortalized
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Aww sorry Bertoni! I think my best experiment was with the eagle, the surface was really great on that one. No skipping, it didn't flake or crumble and came off easily. The horse had thicker ink and so things didn't go quite as well, but it still worked it was just trickier. I'd love to try the real thing but I'm stuck with the homemade variety at least for now!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Eastern Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Axl,
I tried Diana's recipe but it is very thick and hard to get on the boards evenly.

Do you have a Michael's near by? They carry scratchboard in the aisle with the pencils and linocutters.

If you insist on making your own:
Christina Langman puts gesso on masonite.
http://scottlangman.com/art/highres/fortitude.html

I followed Christina's lead and made this picture:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361920

I have made some more boards. I gessoed & sanded them three times each using a sponge roller, then I airbrushed ink or thinned acrylic paint on them. I've left some white. I'll be starting a polar bear on one of the acrylic colored boards.

Love your work Bob!

David
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Elk Grove Village, IL

Hails from United States

I know this question has been here a while, but I just found this section on Scratchboard yesterday.

I have made my own scratchboard and it is a little time consuming, but it worked very well. Here is how I did it.

On a piece of masonite start by lightly sanding the surface then paint one coat of gesso on top in ONE direction. Let that dry. Then sand lightly. Then add another coat of gesso, but apply in the opposite direction of the first and let that dry. Sand again but use a finer and finer grit as you progress. You do this layer of gesso thing 5 or six times. You want a somewhat thick but very smooth surface. After this is done and dried and sanded apply india ink in one direction only, the foam brushes work well for this (no fuzz). Let dry. Then apply another coat in the opposite direction. Do 4 layers of india ink and remember to go in the opposite direction each time.

Using this process I have a scratchboard from twenty years ago that is still in beautiful condition and the suface was very nice to work with.

Sorry it took so long to find you all!
Maggie
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
East River, South Dakota, amongst the prairie lakes and coteau de prairies

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon332
On a piece of masonite start by lightly sanding the surface then paint one coat of gesso on top in ONE direction. Let that dry. Then sand lightly. Then add another coat of gesso, but apply in the opposite direction of the first and let that dry. Sand again but use a finer and finer grit as you progress. You do this layer of gesso thing 5 or six times. You want a somewhat thick but very smooth surface. After this is done and dried and sanded apply india ink in one direction only, the foam brushes work well for this (no fuzz). Let dry. Then apply another coat in the opposite direction. Do 4 layers of india ink and remember to go in the opposite direction each time.

Maggie,

The gesso you use; is it commercial acrylic gesso or is it traditional gesso (skin glue and whiting)? If the latter, or made by some other recipie, what was the recipie?

Thanks,
Dave
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Elk Grove Village, IL

Hails from United States

Sorry I took so long Dave. It is regular ol' gesso. That is what we used. I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Maggie
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
East River, South Dakota, amongst the prairie lakes and coteau de prairies

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon332
Sorry I took so long Dave. It is regular ol' gesso. That is what we used. I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Maggie

Hi, Maggie,
I'm still not sure what that ("...regular ol' gesso...) is. Is it gesso you can buy in a jar (acrylic gesso) or is it real gesso you have to prepare from hide glue and whiting?

Thanks,
Dave
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Elk Grove Village, IL

Hails from United States

Sorry Dave, the only kind I ever used was the kind in the jar. I always take the easy way out. No one ever showed me how to mix up gesso. The gesso (acrylic gesso) in the jar worked just fine. Just remember to take your time and let the layers dry thoroughly and sand until it is smooth.

Hope this works for you.

Good luck,
Maggie
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

I made a scratchboard out of a motorcycle helmet..i'll have to post a pic when i get home from vacation...i did this helmet ..mmmm. maybe 3 years ago and it still looks perfect..well..as good as it did when i did it...
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Please post the helmet and any info you would like to share! I have been thinking awhile about doing something similar, but wasn't sure about a good approach.
Thanks.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Uruguay

i think i found a pic of the helmet..i'll have to look at it toremember how the heck i didit..http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98393
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Rod. Man, that's one Great helmet!! I've done a few helmets in the past, but now just stripe occasionally. For some reason, I don't have the patience to work on helmets but love to do scratchboard. It did say in the old post that you sprayed the white pretty thick and then sprayed india ink over that. This like all of your other work looks great!
I may try doing this on an aluminum panel soon.
Thanks again for taking the time to post this!!

John