WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Abstract and Contemporary Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

Friend Me(please)

acrylic on 16"x22" panel

comments welcomed
-bongo
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States
Re: Friend Me(please)

Lloyd Boyd. Sounds like a character in a Vonnegut novel. I love the whole concept of the painting. It's art imitating an imitation of life. Lloyd looks so sad and lonely.

☮✞AΩ☼ My Website
My WC Acrylics Virtual Gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast
Lookout Mountain, GA

Hails from United States

So cool. I’d friend him.. especially since he’s my hero for working at Dairy Queen. Well painted totally. Yikes it’s good!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Love Lloyd Boyd! Cool name and hats off to him working a lonely job there.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

Kay, Gdoor, thanks for dropping by, much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artchrispy
Lloyd Boyd. Sounds like a character in a Vonnegut novel. I love the whole concept of the painting. It's art imitating an imitation of life. Lloyd looks so sad and lonely.
I wanted Lloyd Boyd to be the least likely person to be added as a friend - without making the painting seem like a parody or sitcom.

So I created an average guy who is -totally honest, and totally socially unaware. So instead of posting a picture of himself in a suit and tie, or rock climbing - he just looks in the camera and takes snapshot - still wearing his DQ workshirt. He wants desperately to make friends and his face shows it - but he doesn't put on a mask or happy face - he just takes a snapshot. He works in a fast-food restaurant - viewed by many as a job for pimpled faced teenagers, immigrants, and ex-cons. But Loyd isn't aware of any of that and just says what he is "server at Dairy Queen". And most "Lloyd Boyds" would likely change their name, use initials or some nickname. But this Lloyd Boyd is just Lloyd Boyd.

So on the real facebook most everybody (except maybe GarageDoor) would whizz by his entry without giving a second thought, surely not clicking "add friend" (I admittedly would). Lloyd might be a great guy, or not, but would never get the chance to present himself because he's low on the social hierarchy and too "stupid" to lie about it.

But when his facebook request is transformed into a painting - I think our perceptions/feelings change as the medium changes. We may snicker or shake our heads but the "pathetic" figure soon endears our sympathy. As a painting we're now looking at it from a different angle, perspective and we have a "there but for the grace of God go I" moment.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2019, 06:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Southern Delaware

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Kay, Gdoor, thanks for dropping by, much appreciated.

I wanted Lloyd Boyd to be the least likely person to be added as a friend - without making the painting seem like a parody or sitcom.

So I created an average guy who is -totally honest, and totally socially unaware. So instead of posting a picture of himself in a suit and tie, or rock climbing - he just looks in the camera and takes snapshot - still wearing his DQ workshirt. He wants desperately to make friends and his face shows it - but he doesn't put on a mask or happy face - he just takes a snapshot. He works in a fast-food restaurant - viewed by many as a job for pimpled faced teenagers, immigrants, and ex-cons. But Loyd isn't aware of any of that and just says what he is "server at Dairy Queen". And most "Lloyd Boyds" would likely change their name, use initials or some nickname. But this Lloyd Boyd is just Lloyd Boyd.

So on the real facebook most everybody (except maybe GarageDoor) would whizz by his entry without giving a second thought, surely not clicking "add friend" (I admittedly would). Lloyd might be a great guy, or not, but would never get the chance to present himself because he's low on the social hierarchy and too "stupid" to lie about it.

But when his facebook request is transformed into a painting - I think our perceptions/feelings change as the medium changes. We may snicker or shake our heads but the "pathetic" figure soon endears our sympathy. As a painting we're now looking at it from a different angle, perspective and we have a "there but for the grace of God go I" moment.

If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend an episode of Black Mirror called Nosedive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive_(Black_Mirror)

It's about a not so distant future where people rate one another in real time after interpersonal interactions (like we already do to businesses on Google etc. ) The people with the higher ratings get the better jobs, apartments, preferences for medical care etc. Lloyd wouldn't /won't have a prayer in this near futuristic society.

☮✞AΩ☼ My Website
My WC Acrylics Virtual Gallery