WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 05:00 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia
Girl, bike and red door

I recently revisited this image I had posted before, tidied it up and recomposed it for posting it on my Instagram feed. Digital, procreate on Ipad pro.

I had a mild heart attack and was hospitalised over Easter, I'm recovering slowly and started drawing again this week.

I forgot about the nefarious butt icon automatically inserting itself can some kind Moderator correct my error please?

Last edited by ArtistOz : 07-02-2019 at 05:04 AM. Reason: requesting the removal of the butt icon
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:06 AM
WC! Guide

Re: Girl, bike and red door

Glad to have you back with us Bill and pleased that you are on the right road. I've missed your cryptic comments on here Love the colours and vibrance of this image
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Girl, bike and red door

ArtistOz is a beautiful, wonderful work.
I really like.
I'm so sorry you didn't do well.
I wish you all the best on your recovery.

Take advantage of this comment to tell you that recently looking on the forum I read some of your comments on BARGUE (I still haven't copied any of his boards but in the future, after more practice I'd like to try to do them)
but also your other very instructive and beautiful comments (moreover this I believe also applies to your works that I saw, I work where there is so much beauty so I wanted to tell you and write a thank you)

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Bill, sorry to hear you've been ill. From this colourful and upbeat image I think we can see that you're on the mend!
All the best.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:27 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

A really good, clear image, Bill, in your usual un-fussy style.
Glad you are on the mend- more power to your hand!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Lost in Texas...

Hails from United States

Hey Bill-

Really glad to hear you’re ok. This place isn’t the same without you.

Now, about this painting... I have mixed feelings about digital media. I can’t make up my mind. Just about the time I decide “I hate it”, I see something really nice. But, what is it? Fine art, illustration, a cartoon...? Skylar Brown’s work really confuses me. Many times I’m thinking ‘if he’d just used oil” it would be great. But then that’s not the point. The artist isn’t necessarily making her/his art with me the audience in mind. Maybe the point is just to have fun. Which is what I think you’re doing here. Your image looks like something I’d like to paint. It looks like a lot of fun.

Ok now that’s out of the way... here’s my $0.02. The texture on the wall is convincing... but the road not so much. the curb isn’t well defined. It’s taking away from the sense of depth. I really like the colors. Did you from like or a photo? Or both?

Again, we’re all really glad you’re back.

-E
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

Well if you're going to have a heart attack I guess it's best to have a mild one! and hopefully everything is going to be fine from now on

I am a fan of digital, I see the huge possibilities of using it, though I doubt I will ever get round to it. It's like a double illusion, the illusion of the image created and the illusion that it was actually created with physical messy mediums.

Nice work Billl

Mac
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

Nice! I can feel the sun there with your vibrant colours. Take care.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Surrey, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about your heart attack Bill but good to hear you're on the mend. What I like most about this one is the sense of light given from the colour choice and the dark shadows.

Blog Gallery
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 AM
A Local Legend
Australia

Hails from Australia

Thank you to the kind person who moved the Butt icon for me.
Thanks for looking and commenting folks.

This was a door opposite the laundromat I frequented in Montpellier so I had plenty of time to observe it. I did take a couple of photos for future reference. I too liked the Red contrasted with the yellow walls in the afternoon sunlight. The street and building look grubbier than the image I made, artistic license.

Earl, thanks for your comments I appreciate the feedback. I've defined the curb a little more. In defense, aside from laziness, the street is old and the stones are worn down so the plane shift is not so noticeable along with the angle of the sun shining on the footpath the side plain and top plane are the one value and the tonal shift isn't there. But if it makes the image more readable I'll go with it.

I wouldn't worry about digital there is no future in it. Low tech stuff like stick scratches in the dirt will never become obsolete.

Dave, you are being a bit cryptic yourself!
Joe1it, thanks for the nice words.
harry, thanks
bethany, always positive
Mac, I agree, the modern entertainment industry doesn't exist without digital. We could have started younger but it didn't exist then and it gets better every year. The initial cost investment is a bummer along with the tech learning curve, if you plan to live until 90 you still have time. OTOH pencil and paper still feel good.
Constance, thanks.
Nathan, thanks
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I saw an update on the drawing and I was writing a comment that I didn't send because I started writing about digital drawing, my experience and desire about it, I wrote so much and I was sorry to send it.
I had forgotten then to rewrite it but I wanted to say that with these touches in fact it seems even more defined in every point, but in any case it is such a great and marvelous work (even in the first spread) and alone I would not grasp any changes.

On digital design and that when I started again 3 years ago, having started to draw with the desire to learn to draw as much as I can, I was really in doubt whether to try with traditional design (paper, pencils, etc.) or digital design, thinking also that with digital design Initial expenditure was more important, but it could also have been a single purchase (or almost I tried to exploit for at least a 5 or 6 years) that replaced then future supplies (find suitable material, etc) or as a way to try maybe then color or other means besides pencil or charcoal type painting even if through programs. But also because I don't have much space and I'm also very messy (so the same charcoal digitally intrigues me).
On the traditional drawing even if shading I find it very hard, with pencils above all a little scratch the sheet, I don't have very smooth shading, despite every mistake I can actually make I fall in love more and more with traditional art.
now I find it right to learn with traditional media, I think digital is more something to consider after the initial phase,
2 years ago, however, I tried using digital drawing to take a graphic tablet without a screen, so I tried to learn some of the features of digital design.
The strange thing though is that after 3 months or 4 of tests re-using with pencil on paper had become more difficult
with digital I had to look directly at the monitor so I was used to looking only at the reference also because the reference photos I often use from my pc so every drawing of mine until I got used to the paper was just blind drawing.
Traditional design in reality fascinates me more and more it is doing it pretty well it remains for me the main dream and furthermore I realized that without improving here (without a good use of the foundations) I would be wrong to change media (whether digital or watercolor to say)
but maybe I'm always fought on digital, I think I'd like to do both (I don't know if it's better in the future) and an iPad has been a growing temptation for some years (not that you think it would be easier for me than with paper and pencil but not involves wires or too much space and so intrigues that it therefore allows various styles, various media even if doing this (whether it is to simulate coal or watercolor or illustration or classical painting well) must be really difficult).

What I wanted to say to Mac if it wants to try digital, if I can and that possibly my advice is on the tablet, without the need for a PC, or something that has its own screen, so in fact experience is more like paper and can adapt immediately with his incredible talent.