WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States
Anyone have advice about about website titling?

For that past couple of decades I've titled my website "Los Angeles Contemporary Artist" before my name so that it was relevant in Google. For this, my site used to come up on the first pages of that search--after all the museums and galleries, that is. Once upon a time, it came up as the third or forth listing! But not anymore. Not for a long time.

Now I've moved out of Los Angeles and "Los Angeles" is just no longer a relevant part of my artist identity (not in terms of people trying to find me anyway). Since "Los Angeles Contemporary Artist" has become a wash for finding me in searches anyway, now I want to come up with something that isn't location-based and isn't as general, but I don't know what to hone it down to that's not too general. This is very hard.

Does anyone have advice about this?

Solely "Contemporary Artist" seems way too general to me. I would just get lost in the millions of results. I can't think of anything a bit more specific. I know I don't want: "Self-taught Contemporary Artist." That's about the only thing I am not into labeling myself.

I'm open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:40 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Anyone have advice about about website titling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
... I want to come up with something that isn't location-based and isn't as general, but I don't know what to hone it down to that's not too general. This is very hard...
Solely "Contemporary Artist" seems way too general to me. I would just get lost in the millions of results. I can't think of anything a bit more specific. ..
My website "Studio Bongo" is always at the top of the search page. People that know me, or about me and want to find me can do so easily - that it's purpose, not to lure in fresh meat. In a field as crowded as Art, as you've discovered, any name that is generic enough to get lots of hits is also one that is saturated with users - and few people look past the first page.

IF we were still using yellow pages you could just call it AAA Aarons Art, or AAAAAAA Aarons Art.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Mine says "Harold Roth, Artist - Landscape & Abstract Oil Paintings" I don't think that does me any good in terms of landscapes and abstracts, but it distinguishes me from a dead photographer with the same name.

I'm on the second page of Google for one keyword set, "mystical landscape." This is the name of my "collection" (as shopify styles it) of landscape paintings, and it fits. I did finally start working on keywords for Google ads, very narrow stuff, like "spiritual art," "occult art," etc., but even those have plenty of competition. My experience has been that to get sales, find a niche, but it sure can be difficult to find a niche that is sufficiently narrow you basically own it without it being so narrow that it is not worth having.

Even so, about 20% of my visitors according to analytics come through search (the rest come from links). They could be searching for something similar to a painting title, though. Do they buy things? Well, my last sale was to a buyer I did not know through FB and from a group that has not been my customers up to this point (clergy).

Anyway, I guess I would try to optimize for the particular sort of art you make, something as specific to you as you can think of. I know from Instagram that "contemporary art" seems not too useful a tag.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 11:03 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Thanks Harold. Yes, that is sort of the issue is describing the work I have been doing.

I was mistaken when I wrote my initial post. I have not put "Los Angeles Contemporary Artist" in the title with my name since April. I changed it when I put out a book to "Los Angeles Artist and Writer" and am on the first page on Google (fourth result).

That's really great, but I am no longer living in Los Angeles. I am two hours away.

I think Bongo is misunderstanding what my question is about. It's not necessarily about getting "new meat" or whatever, not that there's anything wrong with being relevant when people are searching for paintings that are like what you are making. That is the purpose of Google--to title and describe your site as to exactly what it is in a couple of words. Just putting your name there will basically be (more or less) a private listing for people that know you.

Is "Studio Bongo" an artist's site? A music site? What does "studio" mean in that title? Are you a painter? What kind of paintings? Abstract? Realism? Landscapes? Surrealist?

Not that it matters what Bongo does. I want my name in the title, of course. I've always had that first. The location had always helped me in the past, but now it may not be so relevant, you know?

Since I don't do any one specific type of work, I'm starting to lean towards "mixed media" in the title. I paint, write, draw, make artist books, soft sculptures, installations, long-term projects, and occasional videos.

My last couple bodies of work have addressed Joshua Tree, but again, I don't want to be pinned down to location. I also do a lot expressionism (I guess you'd call it). I'm not sure what you'd call it though.

...still thinking.

Thank you both for your input. It is helpful.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar

I think Bongo is misunderstanding what my question is about....
Is "Studio Bongo" an artist's site? A music site? What does "studio" mean in that title? Are you a painter? What kind of paintings? Abstract? Realism? Landscapes? Surrealist? ...
I am misunderstanding is HaroldRoth.com an artist's site?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

The domain name is not everything, Bong. It's part of what should put me at the top on a search for "harold roth," although what comes up first are some of my other internet presences. And lately a fellow I know with my exact name has been making his presence known on the internet, so if you google my name, you will see his first because he has more authority--a Wikipedia article and he is head of a program at Brown University.

The thing with searches is that it also matters what is in your metatags and how your site landing page is structured. So if you search for "harold roth art," my site is first, even though "art" is not in my domain name for my art site, only for my blog site (and I only have a separate blog site because I hate Shopify's blog thing).

Artyczar, what about "California artist"? That phrase has a lot of cred and it's descriptive of your art and it's a good niche.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
"harold roth art," my site is first, even though "art" is not in my domain name for my art site....
still you would have to be searching for "harold roth" - "harold roth art" only separates you from the other harold roths.

Harold Roth Art gets you to Harold Roth the artist, but "Art" doesn't get you to harold roth.

-bongo
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:30 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Harold, that is a good idea: California Artist. But I don't want to be confused with the traditional California Painters. Because I was born and raised in LA, I still have to think about it. Ranking on the first page for artist and writer is a pretty good thing. Maybe I should leave it until I think of something really golden.

Bongo, maybe you're not understanding title vs. domain name. In the header of your website code, you title your site in a couple descriptive words, like: "your name - mixed media painter," or some such thing as this. Then, there is a descriptive line that is like a sentence after that so it comes up in Google as to what your site is about: "The art of Bongo: contemporary paintings, mixed media work and drawings." or something like that. I think it's no more than 30 characters. Then there are keywords/phrases, of which you can have like 50, max. I usually use 25 just so I don't go over. This is all in the meta tags. The more relevant to what your site is about, the better your site will rank on searches relevant to you. Not necessarily "new meat," but people looking for you or work like you are already doing. People that will likely be interested in what you are doing, not people generally interested in art. Domain names don't usually matter. You can be doodles.com and that has nothing to do with ranking. It's nice to have your actual name as your domain, but it's not necessary.

Harold, do you think people search for "expressionism?" Or is that too sophisticated? Also, do you think that word is limited only to painting? Maybe I should look at artist's sites that do many things...like Kiki Smith, or Louise Bourgeois? How their sites have been described in order to get ideas.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:44 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I just looked up both Louise Bourgeois and Kiki Smith and both do not have official websites, but the sites that mainly feature their work (MOMA, Wikipedia, Artsy, etc., as they are already famous) address them as location (where they were born) based, as to who they are as artists. All of them start in on their personal biographies and the main sites just title the pages their names. A couple say: "Louise Bourgeois - French-American Artist," and/or "Kiki Smith - German-born American Artist."

Interesting information.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Artyczar, when I see "Expressionism" just by itself, I think of German Expressionism from the twenties. I'm most familiar with German Expressionist film, but I know there were German Expressionist painters. "Abstract Expressionism" I think of American artists from midcentury. I am pretty sure there are some contemporary painters doing Expressionism, though.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
still you would have to be searching for "harold roth" - "harold roth art" only separates you from the other harold roths.
Yes. But if they know my name already, then all they have to be able to do is to distinguish me from other Harold Roths.

Quote:
Harold Roth Art gets you to Harold Roth the artist, but "Art" doesn't get you to harold roth.

-bongo
"Art" would never get anyone to my site. Or to any individual artist's site. If you google "art," the first page is stuff like art.com, wikipedia, and so on, plus a ton of paid ads. There's no point in optimizing for "art." It has to be more specific. It's true that means you will get fewer visitors. But with SEO, more is not better if it's not targeted. You can pay a lot of money to get 10K visitors a day, but not one of them will buy anything because they are all sitting in an internet cafe in Karachi getting paid to click ads. To get traffic that produces sales, in my experience, you have to focus on a small group of people who are looking for what you sell. How you optimize to attract that small group of people is the hard part. It is like painting itself--who is your viewer? A lot of times I'll bet that many artists really don't have a very clear idea of their viewers. Then there is no way you can optimize your site.

The place where I learned about SEO was webmasterworld.com. I've posted about it before. I was on the ecommerce subforum for years and learned tons.

Also, Artyczar is totally correct about the distinction between domain name, page titles, and metatags.

Last edited by Harold Roth : 07-28-2019 at 05:57 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 12:19 PM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Being found on the net when you are selling visual art is hard when the way you are found is words, not pictures. Add to that the huge list found by searches like 'contemporary art' (850m results!) and you have to be very lucky to turn up in the first 1000 pages let alone the front page. If you are adding key words. yes include broad terms, but you need to also include much more specific ones including predominant colours, subject - like Harold's 'mystical landscape' - location and anything else you can think of. Theses are 'long tail' words and finding the right ones for visual art is something of an art in itself. I don't believe I have cracked it, even within the walled garden of Etsy, let alone for Google.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanBertram
. ...If you are adding key words. yes include broad terms, but you need to also include much more specific ones including predominant colours, subject - like Harold's 'mystical landscape' - location and anything else you can think of. .
mystical landscape gets 36million results. At what point does the hunt for the "right" keyword become worthwhile? When you break a million. Is a 100,000 results nirvana?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Well, if you keep thinking it's not worth your while, then it's not worth your while.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
Well, if you keep thinking it's not worth your while, then it's not worth your while.
IMO even if I thought it was worthwhile - that would not make it so. It is independent of my thinking or wishing.