WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:24 PM
Queensbury West Yorks

Hails from United Kingdom
noodlers flex nib pens or similar

Hello to all here. I am considering buying a noodlers flex nib Ahab pen.I have seen the varied reports and I still want one. does anybody here have experience with them? It will be my first pen since school about fifty years ago. I have tried various marker pens but I only want one pen that can give some line variation without spending a fortune. The main purpose of the pen will be for my attempts at sketching on a lunchtime out and about town.

Thanks for any answers.

John
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: noodlers flex nib pens or similar

Well I love drawing with fountain pens & always come back to them,after many diversions over the decades .
The Ahab is my favourite of all my fountain pens BUT you must understand that it is a pen for an pen enthusiast- you can't just get it out of the box & fill it with ink & expect it to be exactly what you wanted or expected.
However after washing it through with normal diluted dish washing detergent to remove the oils used in it's manufacture you are ready to start experimenting with it. As supplied it is pretty much at the centre of its capabilities but not always.
The nib & the feed are a friction fit & can be pulled out , how the two parts are re-plugged are back in in relation to each other has a noticeable effect on how the pen functions.
If the nib overhangs the feed it is more flexible but runs drier if the tip of the feed is closer to the feed tip it will give a wet but less flexible line.
Practically speaking this means if you draw fast & vigorously you can set it up with plenty of ink being fed through - great you might think ? -but if you come to a slow super careful part it will gush out a big blot on your masterpiece !
OR -You may want to have maximum flex with big expressive flares in your line width, so the feed will be set deep into the body & the nib will be set well forward of it - OH! it "rail roads" = two thin lines instead of One juicy thick one , OK pull the feed forward to supply more ink.
So by playing with it in this way you cutomise the pen to the lines you want given at the speed you draw.
Bare in mind it is a very sensitive pen to handle anyway quite regardless of the flex facility , it takes a LOT of pressure to make it flex well but with a delicate touch (& set up right) you can get thin lines with a feathers touch & noticeably thick lines with just a little more pressure, then if you want a hairline - use the back of the nib -Nice.
Be patient at first, be prepared to have inky fingers - maybe a couple of lost sketches - but for £20 ? - well I find it a rewarding pen to draw with .
The truth is no flex pen that you can buy is as "flexy"as you might wish, pay £400 quid for a specially ground one - well that might ? do it !
Recently on a very variable line quest I've found out that a well chosen disposable brush pen can be very good too ! It all depends on what your style is & what you're personal thing is of course.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 06-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2019, 02:05 AM
Queensbury West Yorks

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: noodlers flex nib pens or similar

Thanks Mike. I am very much a beginner, mainly buildings and struggling with perspective. I find it takes my mind off work. Never going to be a great artist, but I will enjoy myself.

Thank you for your response John