WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2019, 07:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico & New Brunswick

Re: Do I need a blog?

Traffic builds over time. You might start by putting the URL for your blog in your signature here.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Linda, great idea with the weekly thing! I think I'll do that and post a link to my new website blog on my facebook page.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

IMO, blogs on websites serve two purposes: One is it does get readers. It's important to think of that as a building block toward a sale down the road, just like posting your paintings on a FB page, one day someone who has been looking at them for awhile, will suddenly be "hit" by one and purchase.

But even more important, it is google bait. Your site is more "live" and there's more keywords to pull in viewers.

I still get views to pages on my old blog from posts from 2008.

I am revisiting all of my ways to sell since Etsy's AI algorithm rarely lets buyers see my work anymore.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States

Well said Robin.
https://birdsandnestsart.com/
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 06:16 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I've had a blog since 1997. Yes, that's right. I would say that if you don't enjoy writing, don't have one. You have to be consistent when you're first building an audience. I can hardly do that myself anymore and I love to write. I'm lucky if I can post twice a month lately.

The whole "value content" thing. Oy! That works if you enjoy writing about information people need and want. Otherwise, you might as well endure bamboo shoots being pounded under your fingernails. The best thing you can do is write about the things that relate to you, your work. your artist's life, or something else you are expert in that you could tie into your journaling. If you write to appeal to an audience, it not only won't be fun, it's another gamble (like selling art!).

Building an audience takes a LOT of time and patience (not not as much as it did back in the old days, trust me!). Mostly likely, in my opinion, following in the steps of how many others have done it won't get you there. Finding something someone else hasn't done yet will. Meaning, a twist on the formula--not just another blog about art. Make it special somehow.

You should probably get a mailing list sign-up form and start building addresses whether you make a blog or not so you can inform your peeps of whatever it is you are doing with your work. That is where you could start.

Hope this helps in some way.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
. Finding something someone else hasn't done yet will. Meaning, a twist on the formula--not just another blog about art. Make it special somehow.

I think video blogs - vlogs - have supplanted blogs to a great extent. Looking at just art related vlogs - getting views into the millions is commonplace. Many are instructional, watch me paint, or combinations... But you DON'T have to do something new or different - you just have to make it interesting.

THere are a couple of artist vlogs I watch that are only getting views around 1,000-2,000. . Compared to the other offerings those numbers are "pathetic". -- But that's still THOUSANDS of views - how many no-name art bloggers get that kind of viewership?

You do have to be of a personality that is comfortable in front of a camera and have the motivation and organizational skills to keep it going. Not everyone can pull it off. But not everyone can paint either. If you can do both I think there is opportunity.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 09:08 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
I think video blogs - vlogs - have supplanted blogs to a great extent. Looking at just art related vlogs - getting views into the millions is commonplace. Many are instructional, watch me paint, or combinations... But you DON'T have to do something new or different - you just have to make it interesting.

THere are a couple of artist vlogs I watch that are only getting views around 1,000-2,000. . Compared to the other offerings those numbers are "pathetic". -- But that's still THOUSANDS of views - how many no-name art bloggers get that kind of viewership?

You do have to be of a personality that is comfortable in front of a camera and have the motivation and organizational skills to keep it going. Not everyone can pull it off. But not everyone can paint either. If you can do both I think there is opportunity.

Maybe not new or different in the way you think I meant, but in the way you are saying. Special and unique to you and your own spin.

Vlogs and blogs are a different viewership, pathetic or not. One is a readership and one is something you watch, much of those are tutorial. Yes, some people have a knack for the cameras. Some for writing. I think whatever is going to motivate you to do something that you enjoy most will keep you doing it most consistently. Also, numbers (1000-2000 views) are just numbers and don't always turn into subscribers, or sales, or even major sales. It always "depends." Who is your audience? And what is striking them about you. What is motivating them to invest in you?
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Also, numbers (1000-2000 views) are just numbers and don't always turn into subscribers, or sales, or even major sales. It always "depends." Who is your audience? And what is striking them about you. What is motivating them to invest in you?
Numbers are just numbers - including subscriber numbers - I know I subscribe (it's one-click and free) to a lot of stuff -videos and blogs, that I seldom often never visit again.

One thing though about video when you say "what is striking them about YOU" - I think video gives a much better picture - literally and figuratively of you -the person - than a blog. Watching a video you see what they wear, how they talk, walk, their surrounds, and get a sense of where they're coming from. Being readily able to associate the face and personality of the artist with the artwork imo is a big plus. In fact, they're sometimes recognized by their viewers on the street... for good or ill something unlikely from a blog.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBongolian
Numbers are just numbers - including subscriber numbers - I know I subscribe (it's one-click and free) to a lot of stuff -videos and blogs, that I seldom often never visit again.

One thing though about video when you say "what is striking them about YOU" - I think video gives a much better picture - literally and figuratively of you -the person - than a blog. Watching a video you see what they wear, how they talk, walk, their surrounds, and get a sense of where they're coming from. Being readily able to associate the face and personality of the artist with the artwork imo is a big plus. In fact, they're sometimes recognized by their viewers on the street... for good or ill something unlikely from a blog.

That can be a drawback for the older, fatter, less glamorous among us. Most of the working, selling artists I know don't "look like" an artist. I'm afraid I'd disappoint terribly.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:34 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Another thing I wanted to share was that my old blog followers were mostly artists and beginning artists. Most of my search terms were things like "how to paint a white dog" and things like that.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 03:44 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
That can be a drawback for the older, fatter, less glamorous among us. Most of the working, selling artists I know don't "look like" an artist. I'm afraid I'd disappoint terribly.

I feel the same way. I don't particularly like what I look like. I am also a very nervous person, very shy, and don't come across well on the camera or even in person when I meet new people irl. I don't look how I once did 25 years ago and I feel ashamed and depressed about it. I hate that there are any pictures of me on the web at all and have been attacked by mean people about it in the past. I wouldn't open myself up to being recognized on the street. I don't want to be famous for how I look or as a camera personality. I'm a writer.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2019, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
I feel the same way. I don't particularly like what I look like. I am also a very nervous person, very shy, and don't come across well on the camera or even in person when I meet new people irl. I don't look how I once did 25 years ago and I feel ashamed and depressed about it. I hate that there are any pictures of me on the web at all and have been attacked by mean people about it in the past. I wouldn't open myself up to being recognized on the street. I don't want to be famous for how I look or as a camera personality. I'm a writer.

To me, it's one of the advantages of selling online!

I'm sad you feel ashamed and depressed about how you look now vs. 25 years ago. Nobody without mega surgery looks better than they did two and a half decades ago.

I just never have been stylish or trendy or edgy or cool, never. I am still the clean long hair and minimal make up, jeans and tshirt kind of woman, same as I was 50 years ago. I can't imagine, for instance, drawing on those huge, angular eyebrows that are trendy now.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2019, 12:30 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I know I'm not going to look the same as I did 25 years ago. And I would never get surgery, except maybe to have certain things removed! But I never thought I would get fat. I was always a stick. My mother really did a number on me and before she died, before she lost her facilities and I was gaining just a little bit a weight then, she (in predictable fashion) told me how absolutely unacceptable I was to society. I was probably 25 pounds overweight then. I won't tell you how much overweight I am now, but if that was unacceptable, you can bet I hardly ever leave my house! I stay inside and work on art and try not to go to my friends art shows if I can help it. I take a lot of medications that make me fat, but I can't imagine they make me this fat. I don't eat all day, but I eat late at night, so that is a terrible habit I need to change.

In the meantime, other than the long list of things that I hate about myself, I think I look okay. It's too bad about the shame though. Therapy does help however. I'm gaining a little self-worth

So...being on camera, as you might imagine would set off all kinds of insecurities (an understated word!) that I couldn't possibly handle.

BUT I did make a short film in 2015 and I am in it slightly. The two other artists that made it with me had to twist my arm to get me to agree to use the footage. I'm glad I did because of the point that Bongo is making about it being more personable, but it was very hard. I was a bit thinner then. In the last two years, it's gotten out of control because I've been sitting on my butt writing a book.

TMI!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

I totally understand the insecurities about being on camera - the video could be just 2 or 3 minutes long and consist of you sitting at a table and (for example) discussing your latest work, approach - with half or more or the time occupied with cut-aways to the work, your inspirations, etc.

Sitting at a table two-thirds of you are hidden, and you can adjust the lights angle, background to best advantage. It is not a dating tape or an audition for a beauty contest. It could be a one-off or an on-going feature on your blog. A part of your blog, not a replacement.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM

Yeah I totally think you should get a blog. I blog pretty often and it drives a ton of traffic to my site, where I sell my art. I've noticed about a 400% increase in sales since I started blogging. I think that's because more people are searching the web for questions and answers rather than my niché art product. I just needed to make a good website. I got my domain, site, SSL, and everything else through http://101domain.com and use wordpress.com for my CMS.

Wordpres definitely has a learning curve, but once you get passed that - you're golden! You can do it!