WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#316   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States
Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Fantastic start, royl!
  #317   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykirobme
Fantastic start, royl!

Thank you! I think I'm nearly done working out the values.
  #318   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Well done royl, it is a great start. I squinted and found your darkest darks, your mid tones and you will make it great if you continue. Happy painting. cheers
Merri

Ken, no you didn't flood anything, I liked watching your painting coming to life. happy painting to you too.

cheers
  #319   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTaken
I hear ya Ken but I'm already disabled so I carry a bit just to get ME around. Then if I'm going more than 15 minutes from my home without another adult I have my service dog along. So he also needs loads of water. My last dog was bigger and taller and could carry his own but now I have a short guy who is wonderful but he couldn't carry more than a few ounces of water and he overheats fast!

Then, I live in Down Town Philly- up the street from the Liberty Bell and Independence hall, closer to the Museum of Art so we always have tourists expecting everything is a free show done by the locals to entertain the tourists. I'll friendly and I'll chat up a storm about history or dog issues but I'm a social phobe when it comes to "people looking at me". It's a huge reason for me stopping showing horses. Suddenly I became very aware all eyes were one me!

We often have art socials where people will get together and paint by the water but I cannot participate. I had a really difficult time in the one class I took of mixed media. (Although right now the thought just occurred to me of seeing my dog running down the parkway dragging my portable easel and water splashing! I guess that would get eyes off me!)

I used to live in New England, in RI, MA and then Maine. Somehow it's different. People don't make eye contact or get into another's space. Since moving however I've been very aware of different cultures around the country. Here in Philly people would pull up a chair and watch and I'd melt! But I'll work on it!

Sheila

Just do what you feel comfy doing . I am sorry that you stopped showing horses because you felts eyes on you.. I just want to say around that, in this busy world / life, it doesn't matter. I say this because, no one remembers too much as we process too much info and no one recalls who or what showed what. ?

I danced in front of audiences and judges, and I can tell you, after that competition was over, no one remembered too much, and now 10 yrs since I stopped, no one would remember my name. and that is comforting.

I always have liked social media, this site is social media too.. no one remembers too much as there is too much to take in.
The only thing that sticks is the really really excellent stuff that we needed at that moment ( the moment we saw it) in time to learn something from the art we saw.

and usually those really good things are 'sticky' anyway..

cheers

Merri
  #320   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Excellent start, Royl.

On the subject of Plein air - I go out all the time. Not as remote as Ken. I prefer places where it's an easy walk or I can pull items from the trunk of my car. I enjoy when people come by and chat. To me it's part of the experience. They're usually far less critical of my work than I!

Thomas
  #321   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 12:37 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Haven't had tons of paint time of late, for reasons practical and personal. But I'm progressing on my piece, it's starting to shape up now. Lots of work still to do.

#322   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 12:48 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Coming along nicely, Ken
  #323   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 01:06 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Thank you, Tom! Why are you up so late on a school night? ;-)

(Me: I forgot I had dough proofing and I had to make my bread since this week's lunch calls for sandwiches...)

I'm learning a lot with this one as I've never done water like this before. Some YouTube tutorials on ocean waves have helped a little, but I've found nothing worthwhile that tackles this sort of problem, so I'm largely up to my own here. Which I'm happy with, it lets me slap around my paint chaotically until some sort of order emerges.

Also using a new palette I designed. It produces very attractive greys and browns, but brighter colors have proven to be a challenge. But I think I've found my way around that issue, too.

Not sure the painting overall is going to be successful, but hoping it will be. At any rate, I've learned a lot so far. The next few paintings will be far smaller than this one, though.

(Also: still promising not to spam the board with every little step this time.)

Last edited by sykirobme : 06-17-2019 at 01:12 AM.
  #324   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

"Why are you up so late on a school night? ;-)"

Sometimes my medications make me a bit poorly and sleep is hard. But it's summer break so there's no harm this time.
  #325   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Hails from Canada

This one was quite the challenge for me to get a good color on the fence that, I think works! So many layers because of redoing the vines and unopened blossoms, it now has raised vines, etc.. (Amateur Texture) ☺ C/C Graciously accepted.

To see my other work please visit:
https://morgancm6.wixsite.com/Cmartsy
  #326   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Nice job, Cindy. Love the little bug on the petal.
  #327   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Nice job, Cindy. Love the little bug on the petal.
Thank you for the kind words. That fence has been painted at least 5 times, different colors each time. I am learning.

#328   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:04 AM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Haven't had tons of paint time of late, for reasons practical and personal. But I'm progressing on my piece, it's starting to shape up now. Lots of work still to do.

Nice colors, look forward to seeing more.

#329   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Thanks, Cindy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyPaintings
Thank you for the kind words. That fence has been painted at least 5 times, different colors each time. I am learning.

One of the many beautiful things about acrylic paint: the fast drying time lets you experiment and correct to your heart's content. :-)
  #330   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

I know I said I wouldn't spam my WIP but I'm really happy with how it's shaping up after last night's session. I still have to firm up the edges and colors on the foreground rapids and finish the fallen tree.

Do I need something in the background left? My original picture was heavily cropped to make this image; there's a few more rocks outside the left edge of the frame and I'm wondering if I should pop those in.