Home Forums The recent painting that you like.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 533 total)
  • Author
    john

How about a thread for those paintings that we have seen recently that we like. Maybe for a painting that you just today or last week.

Today on wikiart[/URL] the artwork of the day was this one and I liked it quite a bit. Every part of this painting works for me. Each section has merit and could stand alone as a painting. I like when that happens. Not totally sure why I like it though. I hate when that happens. :)

Cityscape I – Richard Diebenkorn

Richard Diebenkorn • 1963

I wish it was larger.

maryinasia

beautiful

Katie Black

I have always liked Richard Diebenkorn.

It is a solid piece of work and I like it a lot.

I will post something later.

Katie Black Fine Art

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

Dcam
                    maryinasia

so beautiful

stlukesguild

Some time back we had a thread called “Recent Discoveries” where we could post some of those works of art that we recently discovered and enjoyed. A number of years back… before reverse image searches… there was a popular game here on the Art History board where a member would post a “mystery painting” and others would try to identify it. I found the one of the best parts of the game was that I would often discover any number of interesting works of art while looking for the mystery painting.

Here are a couple paintings that I recently “discovered”:

The first painting is by Leonard Koscianski and the second by Aron Wiesenfeld. Neither artist is new to me. I follow both on Facebook and Instagram as well as watching for new works on their web sites and galleries. Yet both of these are new works… just posted to social media over the last couple of weeks. I greatly admire both artists’ work and I’m struck by elements suggestive of American Social Realism and Magic Realism. Koscianski’s work especially recalls the paintings of Grant Wood… especially his painting of Paul Revere’s Ride:

Koscianski has been working upon a series of paintings riffing on Wood’s work:

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                            "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                            "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

john

Good stuff. I particularly like the Koscianski paintings. As a birder and a golfer the first one in particular strikes a chord. I like how the ripples echoe the bird feathers. That “God view” is intriguing. I never noticed the window lights in Wood’s paintings before. He must have stolen the idea from Kinkade. ;)

ianuk

I only like the original painting. It has something that draws me.
                                    The rest don’t do anything for me. That’s not to say I don’t think they’re well painted.

Katie Black

Heres’s April Coppini an English artist, she mainly draws animals and insects, but it is the insects that fascinate me.

I have included this painting because I love it. The problem is I dont actually know who the artist is, perhaps someone else will know.

Katie Black Fine Art

ianuk

I find the following, exquisite. Not the best pic of it.

john

Just a reminder. This thread is for recent discoveries that strikes you. I think that if we start posting all that we like it might get overwhelming.

And a suggestion. There are some great artworks here on WC. Peruse the forums and pick out your faves from the recent offerings. But don’t feel obligated to brown-nose. Derek and Katie can’t be counted because all of their stuff is great.:) Only kidding, sort of. But at least pick their work that stands out to you.

john

I only like the original painting. It has something that draws me.
                                                    The rest don’t do anything for me. That’s not to say I don’t think they’re well painted.

The Koscianski paintings are a bit hyper-saturated, and he and Woods are a bit too smooth and illustration-like for my taste, if I were to be hyper-critical, but I like the perspective and remote observer feeling.

Katie Black

I really love the Peter VanDyke street scene. I keep having another look!

Koscianski’s work is very nice and I love the aerial view. I like them all.

Ian’s painting has a feeling of sadness to it. I can’t quite make out whats happening but it feels like the man is clutching his hat in despair and the women is approaching to comfort him.

Katie Black Fine Art

stlukesguild

Ian’s painting strikes me as a cross between Whistler’s sketches and Degas.

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
                                                            "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                                            "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

OLIVE.OYL

Does it have to be a painting? Ohoh…too late…

I literally just discovered EMILY YOUNG this morning on Ovation TV (The Art Show). Apparently, she’s been around for awhile – “Britain’s greatest stone sculptor” – but she’s new to me. Has an interesting background story and works out of a gorgeous stone villa in Tuscany. She chooses her material from a local quarry, with captivating colors or shapes, gas bubbles, cracks, texture. Then, she’ll carve out these heads, sort of intuitively, by letting the revelations in the stone guide her. She said it’s like dancing and I think they manage to look both new and old…like modern archeology or something. Love! How can you not want to rub your hands all over these…?

http://www.emilyyoung.com/Pages/about.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 533 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.