WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 07:19 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: An invitation to post your P&I sketches, doodles, scratchings and scribbles .......

How dare you suggest that I watch rubbish? Huh!!!!!!!!!! . now I'll have to think of a suitable reply

WP - great work on the jeans - you mean they stand up by themselves? - like the suggestion of folds and the shading.

So Toowoo - lunch in the park again? . or the riverside? Nice quick plein aire

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India
Re: An invitation to post your P&I sketches, doodles, scratchings and scribbles .......

Thank you all for commenting on my sketches.

Chennai received some much needed rains, but in the process I lost internet connectivity, my tv connection, and my phone connection until a short while ago. And this was not even a proper storm!!!

Lots of nice sketches in this thread...
Robert...I admire your fluid strokes and minimalistic approach.
Toowoomba...You make even ordinary subjects look good.
Wayne...The scribble technique works very nicely in your sketch to bring out the form.
Mike...Very clean and confident lines in your sketch.
W.P....What a nice idea to sketch the jeans without the wearer!! And so well sketched too.

Here are a couple of sketches that I did unobtrusively of my mother.
Attached Images

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

Maureen...Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on my sketches. I am sorry I forgot to thank you earlier.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 10:45 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Really 'of the moment' these of your mother ...... and the sense of strong light in the first is lovely! Sketches are so fresh aren't they?

BTW - it was a pleasure to visit

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Lord of the Arts

Nice work Balaji, the one of the room involved some careful observation in order for the perspective to work with all those straight lines.
Somehow you've managed to get the light seemingly coming strongly from the right yet I can see only the light on her face & the bleed out of the cupboard door on the right as evidence of the techniques you used to do it !
Very skillful use of technique on such a brief sketch without resorting to extensive shading , shadows & thinned broken lines toward the light etc ,thanks for posting this - most instructive .

The portrait is sensitive - you've caught the vulnerability of old age well.
Cheers Mike
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

Maureen and Mike...Thank you.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Lord of the Arts

Artists' quotes about drawing & sketching - The spirit of sketching

Here are some quotes thinking about sketching/drawing , notice how little variation of opinion there is in these quotes from across continents & spanning the centuries.

A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.
William Strunk, Jr.

The whole essence of good drawing - and of good thinking, perhaps - is to work a subject down to the simplest form possible and still have it believable for what it is meant to be.
Chuck Jones

For the artist, drawing is discovery. And that is not just a slick phrase; it is quite literally true.
John Berger

"In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing."
Vincent van Gogh

In drawing, nothing is better than the first attempt."
Pablo Picasso

Drawing is the honesty of the art. there is no possibility of cheating. it is either good or bad."
Salvador Dali

"You can't do sketches enough. Sketch everything and keep your curiosity fresh."
John Singer Sargent

I sometimes think there is nothing so delightful as drawing.
There are many ways to draw beautifully.
Vincent van Gogh

Anything that passes before your eyes is a possible subject. Beauty may appear anywhere, at any time. You just have to be ready for it"
Kevin MacPherson

The very act of drawing an object, however badly, swiftly takes the drawer from a woolly sense of what the object looks like to a precise awareness of its component parts and particularities. (Alain de Botton)

A drawing a day keeps the cobwebs away. Robert Genn

I draw like other people bite their nails. Pablo Picasso

Pictures that have had months of labor expended on them may be more incomplete than a sketch.
Robert Henri

Let whoever may have attained to so much as to have the power of drawing know he holds a great treasure.
Draw, Antonio, draw - draw and don't waste time!
Michelangelo

We should talk less and draw more.
Johann Goethe
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Very inspirational Mike.

Maureen - One persons trash is another persons treasure. This one's from lunchbreak today, great idea!

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 AM
Lord of the Arts

I like your loose quick sketching.
It is definitely helpful when you add a couple of pieces of darker hatching as you do usually around the middle of the drawing , it kind of calms the lines down & makes it more instantly readable. - clever that.
Mike
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2015, 10:44 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Good find Mike - and I agree with all!
I like this -
Quote:
The very act of drawing an object, however badly, swiftly takes the drawer from a woolly sense of what the object looks like to a precise awareness of its component parts and particularities. (Alain de Botton)
I don't how many times I've told students to look and draw and then you'll know!

Toowoo ... Now that's a fine lunch-time piece of work - what better way to spend the time?

**My SAA website**
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria

Hails from Austria

[email protected]

Im with Goethe .

We should talk less and draw more.

Oldie but Goldie......

Cheers W.P.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

Well if it's a glove it is good but if it is a hand you need to practice !
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2015, 04:17 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

I see the posting of my sculpture horse duplicated (forgot the ipad does that, here is the other ink drawing from the same horse , different angle

Its possible to have an awesome life, but its up to ourselves to do it. RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

This sketch looks more sophisticated than your first.
Most definitely not a judgement , more a observation.
Mike
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chennai, India

Hails from India

Nice sketches Toowoomba, WP, and Bonnie.
My daughter and son-in-law dropped in and I managed these rapid sketches with a fountain pen on newspaper while they were fiddling with their devices.
Attached Images