WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2016, 01:37 AM
Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

C & C Welcome.
Cherryn.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome Cherryn

This looks amazingly smooth and accurate - could you show us any close-ups please? ... smaller, enlarged areas?
We have a new thread to discuss portraiture in P&I and I'm sure others would value your obvious expertise and illustrations.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Cherryn beautifully done, stipple? could you give us the size of the finished work. It must have taken you hours .
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

Im sorry about the poor quality of my photo before. Hopefully this shows much more detail.
Size 19cm x 29cm

Having problems signing this because of the darkness.
I have purchased some rotring white ink which I thought may be suitable but I have not ever used before and do not know if it will go over top of black.
Anyone had experience with the white ink ?

C & C welcome.
Cherryn.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2016, 12:08 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

You could use white acrylic ink Cherryn - it's opaque and would work.... another way some artists employ is to sign on a lighter area - such as the bottom the baby there! ....... be careful the white does not detract!
Thanks for posting this better size - we can see the work more clearly.

Your size shouldn't be too big for scanning - and I often scan much larger works (have done 8 sometimes) and 'stitch' them together - if the software is good enough.
But certainly and A4 scanner should cope with this and allow really good resolution of 400dpi or even 600dpi which really allows small area to be hugely enlarged for illustration examples.

This really looks excellent!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

Thankyou Maureen
I will look into the acrylic ink. Any particular brand?
The picture would not fit in my scanner due to the size of board it is on. Not sure what I want to do with it so didn't want to cut it.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Hi I've used microns and brushes before, now just started using dip pens and brushes for larger black areas. I'm not totally new to ink as a medium, but have no idea when it comes to nibs.

Here is my latest piece of a woodpecker which I used calligraphy nibs and a brush for large black areas as well as a wash undertone.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Lord of the Arts

Cherryn , finding a suitably opaque enough white can be a problem if you don't want to have to trowel it on to cover black.
An ink which I have found to be good for this is "Winsor & Newton calligraphy ink " , it is a good covering white ink.
Mike
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spore
Hi I've used microns and brushes before, now just started using dip pens and brushes for larger black areas. I'm not totally new to ink as a medium, but have no idea when it comes to nibs.

Here is my latest piece of a woodpecker which I used calligraphy nibs and a brush for large black areas as well as a wash undertone.

Hi Spore & welcome , I can see that you're not totally new to ink , your woodpecker is a good & strong use of the medium.
Your bark texture & mottled wash works particularly well.
When you say you used calligraphy nibs which ones do you mean ?
Mike
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Spore looks good for someone who is experimenting , but could you give us the size of the work? WetCanvas imaging doesn't always reflect the real size of a work, and I have a feeling yours is smaller than I am viewing on screen.

Since the calligraphers tend to consider any nib theirs as long as they can write with it, I am also interested in just which one you were using. I have found I don't particularly care for Speedball nibs so have taken to using the Japanese Manga nibs I can find in my semi-local Dick Blicks. Not that there is anything wrong with Speedball nibs, just a bias I carry from way back when I first started using pen and ink.

Just one comment, I like how you have handled the wood, feathers on the head and front of the woodpecker, but the back/wings doesn't really work for me. I think you could have used more pen work/texture there to give more suggestion of feathers. The wash just doesn't work for me without some structure that more pen work would have provided like you did with the wood.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2016, 12:37 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome to the forum Spore -
I too like the head and the tree, there appears to be some really sophisticated pen work there - but like Kathy, I'm not so keen on the feathery parts!
I'd like to see more observation and detailed work on breast and wing to really describe the bird.
The was work in the background is beautifully handled.

**My SAA website**
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Oregon

Hails from United States

I have started doing pen and ink with watercolor. Is this where I would post my pictures?
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee
I have started doing pen and ink with watercolor. Is this where I would post my pictures?

Yes here or in the sketch thread is great.
Mike
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM

Hails from Canada

I tried pen and ink many moons ago, and only completed a small handful of pieces. I decided to pick it up again as it's a medium I can work with in front of the TV. This was my first attempt at using a mix of black and sepia pens. 8x10 on Canson drawing paper. (while binge watching Brooklyn Nine Nine)

Last edited by Konfuzd : 06-01-2016 at 05:53 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Konfuzd welcome to the forum. Nicely drawn, I like the combination of sepia and black inks. Can you tell us a bit more about the drawing, is it from a reference?

I agree that one of the things I love about using ink is that it is mostly very portable, dip pens and bottles of ink can be tricky in some situations, but ink pens can go mostly anywhere.

One issue with drawing buildings/structures is getting the perspective right, you have mostly done that except the roof just doesn't feel quite right, I can imagine a view where you wouldn't see any of the actual roof but shouldn't the left edge of the gutters etc narrow in the distance on the left side (shorter side)? Your angle to the vanishing point seems just a bit off for the roof line.

I am probable not describing this well, and perspective isn't always my strongest ability, but unless this building has no roof I am not finding your drawing totally convincing which is a shame since the rest is so well rendered.