WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Framing

I just came back from a framing shop and it costs 150$ to get just one of my paintings framed.

I am hoping to start doing it myself. Anyone know any good sites that teaches how?

Does anyone know any good places to order supplies such as frame moulding?

If I also how much more do you usually charge for paintings that are framed?

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 PM

Re: Framing

I don't know where you live but if you're not able to make a simple wood frame by yourself (which is not easy) many art supply stores carry pre cut frame pieces that you can assemble yourself. I believe the brand I use is called Sumo. If you live in a medium to large city you'll likely find an art supply store that carries something similar.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I use standard size frames from Multiple stores. A 20x16 with glass and mount costs less than £10/$15 and is quite satisfactory to frame a quarter sheet watercolour. If a buyer wants a better frame it is up to them.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 AM
WC! Guide
Sometimes it's nice to remember those we admired.

Hails from Ireland

I found it is cheaper in the long run to pay for the frame from the frame shop. By the time you buy mouldings and start trying to cut good angles without a guillotine, then try to pin them together without an under-pinning machine... Unless you are making enough frames to invest in the proper machines to make them. Wasting a length or two of moulding through ill fitting corners can add up to a high cost. There are so many options for cheaper frames available too such as photo frames, mirrors etc. if the cost is too much to invest.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM

When I first decided to start framing for myself (due to cost as well), I purchased a "How to Frame..." book and spent some time with my framer, asking her all kinds of questions. She was so helpful. I think many framers understand the situation that an artist is in as far as need/profit margin. Another source is artist friends. Even now, my friends and I share ideas and lessons when it comes to framing.

As for a reliable place to buy frames? I love Florida Frames (floridaframes.com). Their prices are fair and they package the shipments very securely - important, as their's nothing like being under a deadline and then receiveing a damaged frame.

Jill

Art Appreciation & Instruction Videos - YouTube
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Custom Frame Solutions (www.customframesolutions.com) is a good place to get pre-cut moulding.

If you have a Federal Employee ID Number, places like www.wallmoulding.com and www.decormoulding.com will sell to you directly. They offer pre-cut mouldings (simply give them the dimensions) and they will provide you with inserts, so all you really need is glue, a hammer and the pegs to join them. Custom Frame Solutions is a middle man for these two (among others). Securing the piece in the frame and the backing/wiring will require a drill, but none of it is rocket science. Tedious at times, but not rocket science.

That said, I have to agree with Greg...eventually it will be less cost effective spending your time joining frames and worth the added cost to have the pros do it. If you shop around at local frame shops, you may find that some do an artist/designer discount, which will be more expensive than DIY, but then you don't have the headache of having to deal with a frame that doesn't join properly, or doing cuts yourself, etc. Some also have local warehouses where they store their own mouldings, so if you always frame with the same moulding, you could buy a box of uncut moulding and they could store it and do the cuts and joining for you whenever you finish a piece. That is more cost effective, but again, you have to frame using the same moulding and you have to find a shop that is on board with that. Just a thought!

Either way, framing can really make a piece pop. I know really talented artists who said they didn't really start selling until they invested in framing. A good frame is to artwork as beautiful jewelry is to a ball gown! Best of luck!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Sorry, Employer ID Number, not Employee ID number
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

I've purchased a lot of frames here: http://www.pictureframes.com/

If you don't need them tomorrow and can wait for the delivery (a couple of weeks), the prices are reasonable and the service has been very good. They have a large variety of moldings and sizes. Both standard and custom sizes are available. Hardware and wire is included. You don't have to make the frames yourself, just insert the pictures. A screw driver was the only tool I needed. I've been very satisfied.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

I have canvas and my last almost good attempt was to pick out my own simple design and have a wood shop cut it. I wanted them all alike and he made them different. I decided if I didn't want to wait years I'd go unframed and I started buying deep gallery wrapped canvas. Since then I noticed a lot of art where I live is sold unframed.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

If my link doesn't work go to home and maybe the studio tips and framing forum can help. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/chan...&channel_id=28
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Silver Spring, MD

Last time I went to a frame shop they wanted to charge me $75 to frame a 5"x7" painting. I then drove to a store with a good selection of ready-mades and found one nearly as nice for $12. Unfortunately, all the local stores with good selections of ready-made frames have all shut down, so now I get all my frames on-line. My favorite has been http://www.americanframe.com. Theyl custom build frames of any size for much less than what the shops charge. You can save even more by going to on-line places which have ready-made frames in the more common sizes, but I've found those to not be of reliably good quality.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Midwest

Hails from United States

There are plenty of youtube videos that show you how to make frames. Most of the time you need to have specialized equipment which includes guides and power tools to make your mitered cuts. I visited a place in my town that made raw mouldings and the prices are fantastic, but you had to buy a minimum of 200 feet.

I recently found a site on the internet that sold frame making tools. You could buy a complete tool kit including guides to make precise mitered cuts and join the frames for about $800, and you didn't need power tools. They had a specialized hand saw made in Sweden or something. It's a good investment if you plan on making lots of frames. Sorry I can't find the site right now, but you can search for "frame making tools" on Google.

I know from experience making a "closed corner" frame from scratch, that having precision tools is critical. A regular power saw is not good enough. I spent many hours making a custom frame from baseboard moulding as an experiment. The corners did not join evenly so I had to gesso the whole thing several times to fill in the spaces. It took me hours to make one frame.

Oh, and don't buy from www.pictureframes.com Their quality is terrible! I don't know why everyone raves about them. I ordered some "magnificent miniatures" and the frames are made from some heavy composite material and plaster in China. The corners were raw and didn't match up properly. There were gaps in the joins on some of them. Hastily put together. I am pretty shocked and disappointed, because they aren't cheap.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM
A Local Legend
Denmark Western Australia

Hails from Australia

I purchased a second hand Schleicher guillotine many years ago. A very old machine but very well made indeed. It has never broken down and cuts perfect mitres every time providing I maintain it and sharpen the blades regularly. Used in conjunction with a more modern foot operated under-pinner I have been making my own frames ever since.

I spend about 4 days a month making frames for myself and occasionally for other local artists also for extra income. Over the years these 2 machines have payed for themselves many times over.

A representative from a framing company visits my studio every 6 months keeping me informed of newly released mouldings, discounted mouldings etc. Having the opportunity to select your moulding from their huge range is wonderful ! - A range which will far exceed that of an individual framer.

Of course painting is my priority and I know framing is not for everyone but making my own has been tremendously advantageous throughout my art career and continues to be so.

Michael.

'EARTH' without 'ART' is just 'EH'!!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Omega Moulding is a great supplier of moulding and readymade frames. They have stores in the east as well as the west which saves on shipping.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

You're an artist & consider framing could be a sideline but financially & in time & hassle it can & will intrude on the making art side of things in a big way.
I would advise that you put half a day into searching the net for the best ready made options & devote your time to making your art & save yourself massive headache . It most certainly involves serious investment in machinery jigs, stock etc & as an experienced woodworker I can tell you that I don't bother & can't make it worthwhile even though I sell quantities of prints. Consider making your art to standard & readily available frame sizes it will save you a fortune & increase your profit margin.

Last edited by pedlars pen : 07-12-2014 at 03:45 PM.