Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Two paintings I Entered into Glendale Show

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

Hi all,

This year, I entered 2, 16″ x 20″ oil paintings into the Glendale Art Competition. One was rejected, while the other one was juried in, and it sold!
        (That’s Glendale, Arizona, by the way.)

This is the one that was bumped:

“Drop-Off….16″ x 20” oil on RayMar Canvas Panel

This is the one that was juried in, and sold:

“There Lives A Cow”…16″ x 20” oil on RayMar Canvas Panel

Well, at least one of my pieces made it into the show, and sold. I’m very pleased with that outcome.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Alan P. in OC

Nice work on both paintings, Bill!

ntl

Congratulations! Cute Cow.
                Looks like her lunch was interrupted.

WFMartin

Alan: Thank you.
                    ntl: Thanks. I was actually going for “cute”.:)

ilya K

William, congratulations! I must say 100% frankly that they left you the one I like more. But maybe it will find someone who feels the same. Maybe it’s the sense of space in the first one, that does it.

Ilya K
                        C&C always welcome

kentiessen

Congratulations on your show and sales- they are both great! The cow is a great concept and composition- well done. I do like the landscape a lot- the balloon might use a few touches

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Dcam
                                WFMartin

ik345: Yeah, my wife liked the balloon painting, too.

Ken: Thank you very much.

Dcam: Thanks for your comments; means a lot to me.

I love the cow! :)

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Humburger

Beautiful work. I really like the cow, too.

Ginny
                                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                        C & C Welcome

I really admire the balloon one. Really shows the thrill of being in the air.

KEVIN$

Bill,
                                            I’m gonna sidetrack for just a second, so please forgive me.
                                            When you enter your paintings do you pay a submission fee at all?
                                            After your piece was accepted for the show do you have to deliver it and be there at the show or do you just ship it to them and they display it? I realize that this was a local show. I’m not real familiar with those types of shows.

ks

Kevin Slaby
                                            2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                                            http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

Lon Reams

Great work! Values are perfect in both pieces.

WFMartin

Bill,
                                                    I’m gonna sidetrack for just a second, so please forgive me.

I surely do forgive you.:)

When you enter your paintings do you pay a submission fee at all?

All our local art competitions require an entry fee, even for the shows that our private art club sponsors. The fee for the Glendale Art Competition is quite steep, as entry fees go: $25 for each entry, with two entries maximum.

After your piece was accepted for the show do you have to deliver it and be there at the show or do you just ship it to them and they display it?

This is the scenario for this show: The artist decides upon the two paintings he will be entering. On the day indicated in the prospectus, the artist takes the paintings to the facility, pays the entry fee, fills out the necessary paperwork, etc., and leaves the entries at the facility.

Several days later, the artist receives a notice in the mail regarding which pieces have been accepted, or rejected.

ALL ART (including both those accepted, and those rejected) hangs for the first weekend. Most of us attend this show the first weekend, just to learn who received awards, who was juried, and which pieces have sold. The show opens early to allow only some standard, staunch buyers, who purchase art each year to select those they desire, and to mark them as their own. This is a private “sell day”,and this is the way my painting was purchased.

Once we have picked up our rejected pieces, all the art gets re-hung, with award medallions pinned next to them. For example, my painting will receive a “Purchase Award” medallion, for the Cow painting. Then, the show consists of the juried art, only, and remains hanging until the show is over.

This art competition takes 25% commission, as well, but it is worth it to me. I have sold a substantial number of paintings at this show throughout the past years!

I realize that this was a local show. I’m not real familiar with those types of shows.

ks

Well, every local show is similar, in that they are all “competitions”, with awards given for Best of Show, First Place, Second Place, etc., etc., usually within the given medium. At this show, cash awards are offered for Best of Show (any medium), First Place, and Second Place, I believe.

Hope that answers your questions. This show has been very, very good for me!

Canadanny

Love that cow painting. The other one was nice but I would question the believability of the distant rocks. The balloon is nicely painted

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Art is not about thinking something up. It is the opposite -- getting something down. [INDENT][FONT=Book Antiqua]The Artist's Way[/INDENT]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.