Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Shutterbug Pub Shutterbug Pub Tuesday 10 December 2019

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    damar

Hi Everyone!
        I’m going to post larger than normal from FlickR
        (free account) and see how it looks here on WC

Quarry

Fujifilm x100F
        Its a little soft in preview mode, but it looks much bigger in the browser than
        it does in PS.
        If this is too large, I’ll delete it while I can still edit.

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
        Photos are ©2021

Well, I think it all depnds on the size of one’s screen. It fit pretty close to perfect on my 17″ laptop. I must admit, it is amazingly clear and robust in color.

So, that is what the area looks like around the quarry.
        No wonder the quarry is so wide and deep. Is this located someplace near where you live?

One more comment. Look at the huge tower out in the distance. That is amazingly tall. WOW!

Thanks for starting the daily for us today.

I slept in late today and then started working around the house. I got our Christmas tree up and I am taking a break before finishing putting the final decorations on it.

I just heard that the top toys requested by kids in the ages of 6-10 is kitchen sets. That request is coming from both boys and girls. Ironically they are no longer teaching cooking in schools or a lot of other vocational courses.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Here is some green to add to all the plush Georgia Greens that surround your Quarry.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

damar

Hi Lorell,
            Thanks! That is a radio tower. Country Station.
            The quarry is about 30-40 min drive from where we live.
            We are in a small town, once rural, now growing like crazy.
            Big building boom going on in and around major cities.

I think the popularity of cooking shows on cable Tv has
            rekindled an interest in Cooking.
            This is a good thing. More home cooked meals, less fast food!

Don’t forget to take a pic of your tree when you finish it!

Cattails! Even without any topaz or filters it looks like a painting!
            Very nice and simply stated, Lorell!
            We used to call them “punks” when we were kids!
            Light them on fire to repel mosquitoes.
            (folklore probably)

Photos are ©2021

Cattails!
            We used to call them “punks” when we were kids!
            Light them on fire to repel mosquitoes.
            (folklore probably)

Long ago I read that cattails can be use for several things in addition to using them as torches including:

[*]using the fluff to fill pillows
              [*]and if you are lost in the wilderness with no food, you can eat their roots for food.

I shoot cattails perfectly vertical because they are one plant that only grows that way.

Anonymous

Impressive scene and well captured, Damar. Looks good on my screen too.

I’ve taken similar photos, Lorell, but none as good as yours. Gorgeous bokeh and that little white tuft adds a lot to the image.

I’ll contribute some red to the greens today with this morning’s shot of the ivy tumbling over the fence around our the inner front yard…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm @ 95mm, manual, 1/250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 500, ACR & PSCS5]

Lorell, I see your second one – equally as good as the first. On the issue of shooting these plants vertically, it’s the right decision. The surrounding non-verticals negate any sense of unnatural geometric precision in the image.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

BTW, the starlike sprays you mentioned in my photo are, I believe, very tiny flowers. I felt that they looked nice here, too.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

I assume your cattail photos weren’t taken today in Michigan.
                [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Dave, thank you very much. I just edited my post to add another cattail and explain why I would not tilt a cattail in a composition.

But your floral array looks like a bridal bouquet made my mother nature. Those cascading red leaves are so pretty and delicate. Then there are the burst of light green seedlings (or something like that) that look like starbursts and all captured against the dark green leaves creating great contrast. It makes you want to pick up a paint brush and start painting.

damar

I like the red cascade in the green leaves too, Dave!
                    Very nice!
                    Lorell, tulips grow vertical!
                    (so do pine trees!)
                    from 2006 a few months after I got my Nikon D50!

(yeah, its over blown!)

I’d have to be pretty hungry to dig up cattail roots to eat!
                    The big question is do you eat them with the dirt still clinging to the roots or
                    would you swish them in the swamp water thus shortening your chances of surviving the next 24 hours?
                    :lol:
                    By the way…all your photos look GREAT on my iPads Retina screen.

Photos are ©2021
                    Greenhill

Patty, the size is great and does justice to your interesting picture. It fills my Acer 24″ all-in-one HD screen beautifully. Hopefully others will follow.

Lorell, have you considered coupling two related verticals as a diptych? (not a dipstick with a lisp)

Dave, a well composed floral display, I like the low key rendering and complimentary colours.

MY FLICKR
                        OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
                        The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

damar

[B]Lorell[/B], have you considered coupling two related verticals as a diptych? (not a dipstick with a lisp)

Hahahah!

Thanks Mark!
                            I have been using my little ipad when not back on my PC and images look so much better on that than they do my PC flat monitor.
                            I think my browser (Opera) blows up webpages even though I have it set to
                            view at 100%. It softens photos.

I like your rocky cliff!
                            The one looking up catches my eye more than the other,
                            but I’m fond of diagonals. Looks like a beautiful and rugged place;
                            where was this?

Photos are ©2021
                            damar

Here is the PM Caboose, Lorell
                                Behind a glass display and perpendicular to the case.
                                It was hung below the engine photo

Photos are ©2021

Patty said:

I’d have to be pretty hungry to dig up cattail roots to eat!

I say: A little salt makes anything taste good.

Patty, thanks for photos of the caboose.
                                I got several live photos that you’ll see pretty soon when I get around to putting together my next batch of Pere Marquette Train Pics.

Mark,
                                So tell us about the beautiful stone structures. Did you climb those yet, or is that next week?

I love the first shot when the beautiful purplish blue skies in the background. But the second one is good too.

Greenhill

Wow, now that original PM is really something … the penthouse for me.

The rocky cliff is the “Organ Pipes” on Mt wellington, Hobart, Tasmania.
                                    (below the tower) this is the best pic I could find in my archives (many were lost in a hard drive crash a few years back)

In mentioning your browser you’ve given me a tip. If I switch from Explorer to Chrome, that might fix some issues I have with Win10.

MY FLICKR
                                    OLYMPUS OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3[FONT="Georgia"]
                                    The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

damar

Wow that mountain side looks like its glowing fire from inside!
                                        Nice marina, some pretty tubs in there!

I haven’t used explorer since 1998.
                                        I was using Netscape Navigator back then.
                                        Way back!

Photos are ©2021
                                      Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.