Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Gallery Experiment – role of darks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Johndk

I have been experimenting and investigating the role of dark tones vs. mid and light tones. Castagnet is very interesting in how he uses darks to “explain” his painting content. My tiny little sketch tried this out, playing around with some of his approach to passionate brushstrokes, while also letting the paint talk for itself (as it were). Tom Hoffmann is also interesting in how he interrogates the dark layer/passage/calligraphy and to what extent those darks are responsible for defining the content of the painting, and restraining the darks to only what is necessary.

As an aside, my sketch is a too Castagnet derivative, and was not trying to be a finished painting, but an exercise to understand the role of darks.

Perhaps you would all like to comment, debate and share what you think the role of darks are. To add to the discussion, perhaps you can also share when you think darks are overdone (both in tone and in emphasis)?

Let’s talk.

As long as there is light, I will paint it.

teshparekh

Darks can be very useful depending on your artistic intent. Darks can make your painting come alive besides defining forms. My struggle is keeping the darks transparent yet strong enough in right places. I also use ivory black to mix darks.

– Tesh

Thank you.

- Tesh Parekh

Johndk

In this sketch I used neutral tint and French ultramarine.

Someone here, who is doing very good darks is AndreMangabeira
                Personally I think you need the full range from very light to really dark and you need a interesting shape pattern of light and dark shapes, not too small.

Esther

Watercollar

The main role of the darks is to represent shadows (self occluding or projected). Apart from that, there’s no other need for darks… except maybe for representing deep space… :)

Your sketch looks great! I like how you connected all darks into one shape – very effective.

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

Johndk

Someone here, who is doing very good darks is AndreMangabeira
                        Personally I think you need the full range from very light to really dark and you need a interesting shape pattern of light and dark shapes, not too small.

Esther

Thanks Esther – I am going to check that out.:thumbsup:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.