Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Cheap watercolor support board?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    JPNLKT

Helluuuu

I just started watercolor, and I’m looking for a cheaper alternative to gatorfoam to be used as a support board. (preferably less than $10 to make) So I was wondering if any of you had some good ideas for a DIY support board. I’m planning on using it to just tape down my paper, so it doesn’t necessarily need to be able to take staples. (I’m still learning about stretching)

Oh and speaking of tape, do you have any recommendations of a type of tape you use?

So far for the DIY support board, I found someone who says to just make one by covering a piece of cardboard in clear packaging tape. Which I might try out but wondered if any of you knew of some better alternatives.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I appreciate your help regardless. :)

I bought a piece of plexiglass at Home Depot and it works fine. You can even use it without tape if you like to work wet into wet. Paper wet on both sides sticks to it nicely for those early washes. Then you can tape it to the dry board for details and finishing.

I use beige 1.5″ masking tape I get at the DIY store. No distracting blue or green tape to mess with your color perceptions. :D

Sylvia

teshparekh

You can buy a hardboard panel like this (24×30 panel is $ 5.62): https://www.dickblick.com/products/hardboard-panels/ Just make sure to seal it with Golden GAC 100 or similar products. As for the tape, I use: https://www.jerrysartarama.com/pro-masking-tape Hope this helps.

Thank you.

- Tesh Parekh

JPNLKT

I bought a piece of plexiglass at Home Depot and it works fine. You can even use it without tape if you like to work wet into wet. Paper wet on both sides sticks to it nicely for those early washes. Then you can tape it to the dry board for details and finishing.

I use beige 1.5″ masking tape I get at the DIY store. No distracting blue or green tape to mess with your color perceptions. :D

Sylvia

Ohhh. Plexiglass! That’s a great idea! I’m researching the plexiglass method you’ve mentioned for wet on wet, and it seems like something worth trying out. Thank you!

JPNLKT

You can buy a hardboard panel like this (24×30 panel is $ 5.62): [url]https://www.dickblick.com/products/hardboard-panels/[/url] Just make sure to seal it with Golden GAC 100 or similar products. As for the tape, I use: [url]https://www.jerrysartarama.com/pro-masking-tape[/url] Hope this helps.

Thank you! I’ll see if I can find that brand of tape at one of the stores nearby. The masking tape I have currently is too brittle and sticky, so I’m hoping this works better. ^^

Hi. I use plexiglass, too. They will cut it for you at Home Depot, if you like. It lasts forever and it’s really easy to clean, plus, it’s lightweight. I just use plain, white artist tape from Dick Blick to hold my paper down (no stretching) or, as you have discovered, you can let the water hold it on, if you are working very wet. I like to stick the tape to my clothes first, to make it a little less sticky. Good luck!

:) Noelle

CaliAnn

I use a plastic cutting board – I’ve got 2 of them that I use, one for bigger and one for smaller – together, they both cost me under $10.00

virgil carter

“…I’m looking for a cheaper alternative to gatorfoam…”

Well…gatorboard is somewhat expensive, but foam core board is not.

And you don’t really have to stretch, staple or tape your 140-pound paper (or heavier weight paper). Simply put a bull dog clip in each corner, paint with the paper elevated, and all will be well.

If/when the wet paper begins to buckle, simply remove one or two bull dog clips, stretch the paper taunt and re-attach the bull dog clips to paint on to completion.

Sling paint,
                            Virgil

Sling paint,
                            Virgil Carter
                            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

KiwiNessie

I use coroplast sheets of varying sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=coroplast

Vanessa
                                Made in NZ

EmmaTwo

I bought a large sheet of corrogated plastic (3 feet x 6 feet) at Home Depot for less than $20 and cut it into various sizes — allows me to take a project to class, keep a personal project at home, experiment with a technique with a third.

I use masking tape.

It’s used frequently where I live for political candidate signage, so if you know someone running for office, you might be able to score their left overs after the election. Some candidates don’t print on both sides.

FrankM

Like Emma, I use corrugated plastic board; but I get mine from a sign shop (it’s the same material used for yard signs, real estate signs, etc.). An 8×10 sheet is about $24 here, and the shop will trim for nominal costs if needed.

I also bought a piece of lauan board from a big box store (it’s a thin plywood). I sprayed with a light coat of polyurethane to protect from water.

Both have allowed me to create my own uniquely sized support boards at a low cost.

I’m sure you’ll get tons of ideas here as well. Happy painting!
                                        Frank

FrankM

w/c nana8

I was introduced to plexiglass at my first art class. A class member has them cut down at a local hardware store and sells them for $7. Lightweight and durable, as others have said. But…I was at a print shop, and they have several types of sturdy display boards that sized for painting would be less than $10. I am considering getting one of those as well.

Still looking for a good artist’s tape as well. Good point about the reflections cast by the painter’s tape. I never even thought about it, but makes total sense!

'We are too prone to engrave our trials on marble, and write our blessings in sand.' ~ Spurgeon
                                            C&C appreciated

MarekB

coroplast sheet cut to size, no need to stretch – back side of paper sticks to it when wet. Just add a couple of clips to hold corners.. done!

FrankM

For a possible tape solution, I bought some “PRO-ART” artist tape from Amazon. I like it so far.

Uniquely, one of the rolls is black (I bought it cheap for affixing paintings/prints to mats). I was hesitant to use it while painting at first, but when taping down the edges of my paper, the black border helps me visualize how dark my darks should/could be:

Best wishes!
                                                    Frank

FrankM

Amity

I was clearing out a room one day and found some old posters with a plexiglas front just before I took them out to the garbage, it suddenly occurred to me they would be the ideal board and voila! With a printed dollar store duct tape around the edges they do the job perfectly.
                                                        By the way, you can use those styrofoam ” pool spaghetti” things to prop up the top of your board at an angle. Even cut off a small slice to make it stay put.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.