Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio Suggestions welcome, River Rock exercise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kraffty

Hi All, this is my 4th painting attempt after watching a youtube video with tips on painting rocks. It’s purely for practice and I’m guessing it’s to late to fix this but the center 4 grey rocks seem flat instead of raised up above the rocks below. Any thoughts? More shadowing or greying out the lower rocks maybe? Really appreciate any thoughts.

[ATTACH]871326[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
        Mike

Looks good to me.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

FrankM

I agree with Doug — it looks great. If you want to take the exercise further, you could add a bit of shadowing where there is overlap to push the lower rocks into the “background.”

Great work!

FrankM

bushidobam

We are probably all our own worst critic. You’ll see every perceived mistake, while others (including me) see a beautifully rendered group of stones. You did great on this! I’d consider if finished.

Mike

Anonymous

It is a little hard to tell exactly where all the tones fall as the image looks like it might be unevenly lit. The left half looks darker.

Perhaps this is where opaque white could be used for a few highlights. I am not a fan of this approach. I like to save my whites and as you suggested it might be too late for that.

FWIW I’d just make more paintings. As Mike says we are all critical of our work. I bet when you review this piece in a year you won’t be as critical.

Lotsodots

I think this is a nice painting. The only thing you need to do to get the effect you are looking for is to add in some darker cast shadows onto the stones below the ones on top.

This is an example of what I am suggesting

Wayne
                        Comments and critiques are welcome
                        Kraffty

Thank you Wayne! That’s exactly the problem solution I was looking for.
                            Love the forum, appreciate the advice and an illustrated sample to boot.
                            Thanks, Mike

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.