WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2020, 12:22 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia
Crested Pigeon

WIP on my new drawing,
25x35 Pastelmat board
Pablos, Faber Castell & odd Derwent procolour
Own Ref Photo
I decided this time to do the 1st few layers with Pablos and then use the FC to add extra smoothness and colour. I dont know why but thought as the Pablos are a more chalking dry texture it might work better in this humidity. FB was going very slippery and not working the way Id anticipated on the Yellow Robin.... for whatever the reason Im happy to say this time its working. I am doing exactly the same as before and thats using feather light layers to build up values and shapes but oh what a hugely different experience it is this time. I am enjoying the results so far....
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:55 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Crested Pigeon

Looking good so far
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Karen 😊😊
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 11:45 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Your becoming a bird expert Brissie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2020, 12:56 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

A lovely start. I look forward to the completed work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Penny hope to post soon 😊😊
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2020, 06:31 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

I am enjoying your pigeon as well -- and very interested in your comments re the Pablos and FC pencils -- I'm still new to this medium and like to know what the old hands find out!

How big is that pigeon in real life??
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 02:47 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Clair, the bird is about 30-30cm or 12 - 13 in so a substantial size
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 02:58 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Started having big problems with the whites on this piece... I am new to pastelmat so besides knowing you have to work very, very lightly and build up layers which is how I work on watercolour paper I have noticed you need to be super light with pastelmat BUT the upside is you can work light over dark... whites seem to have other problems though... after about 5 or 6 layers they started to lift showing the speckled dots of the brown pastelmat through... no problems where I had added a light cool grey in for shading though... in the end I decided the only way I could achieve that soft fluffy depth of feathers look I desired was to pull out my white panpastel ... so now I dont know how to store this piece .. will the panpastel stay adhered to the white pencil... do I spray and if so will it just obliterate the whites both pencil and panpastel... so much to learn.... so any help and suggestions will be much appreciated ....
Not a super pic just a quick one via my tablet to show how it now looks ....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 04:54 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Looking really nice. I like the texture of the feathers.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-25-2020, 07:57 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

It is great, you can't tell there were any problems with the feather work and thanks for your notes on pastelmat. I haven't tried it yet, always wondered about it. Excellent finish.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2020, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Thanks Penny & Karen I ordered some pale colours in the pastelmat board and hope with our humidity it will allow me to do more bird drawings..... so now to decide what next and hope my order arrives soon.... oh Karen as you work mainly with prismacolor youd need to get yourself some faber castell pencils as they work best apparently .... Im still feeling my way ....
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 AM

Thanks for sharing your progress! I will be interested in hearing about whether a workable fixative will help, I haven't used pastel mat yet and want to start my next project with it!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2020, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Lizzy I sprayed the "Robin drawing" with workable fixative and it worked some ... I decided as it was a test piece in the 1st place I would keep experimenting. Yep I know I will mess it up but pastelmat board is mighty expensive so rather mess up a small piece so I can improve...
Anyway a lady on another art group told me she uses the "Texture Fixative spray " by Alyona Nickelsen. I had heard it wasnt good on pastelmat but as she swears by it and her work is very good I gave it a try. So even though it was a water base spray over and acrylic one I tested it anyway... besides a few teeny tiny shiny pin head dots I think it worked better, as its a texture spray its made to be worked over it anyway and those dots get covered up very easily.... so my recommendation would be do some testing on a small piece before going onto a big project... one thing I have also heard is some artists use watercolour pencils to create an underlay .... another artist uses the Caren dAche white watercolor pencil but dry for any bright whites she wants on her animal drawing.... I will need to order one of those as I cant get it locally... let us know how you go and what your experiences are when you do venture down this track 😊😊
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Your work is beautiful, Brissie!

Thank you for sharing your Pastelmat adventure. I have a few small pieces of Pastelmat and after reading your posts will pull out and try to work something. After all, its only paper.....right?

If your final post is a sheet with nothing but a fence post on it, we'll know your gorgeous Crested Pigeon actually took flight!

Mary Flora