WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Advice on how to make a good, basic tan color

Hello all! I have struggled for sometime on how to create a basic tan or ecru color from mixing pencils. I have never found this color in any existing set of CP's. The light umbers come off a bit too greenish and I just not skilled enough in color theory on how to make a true tan color so I am asking for help! I keep thinking it shouldn't be that hard, but as yet, I haven't found it. Thanks in advance!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 02:57 AM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States
Re: Advice on how to make a good, basic tan color

How about yellow and brown and, maybe, white?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Considering that obviously names of colors vary...

Terra cotta, yellow ocre and purple ( darken the ocre with an underlayer of purple instead of using umbers) and and some other deeper red maybe.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Last edited by tiago.dagostini : 02-07-2020 at 08:25 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Tan, a pale/dull orange in the broadest sense. Yellow+Red = Orange, again in the broadest sense. Brown is a dark dull red, so Wassie's hit the nail on the head, I think. Acrue? Had to look that one up "unbleached linen". Very pale, but also dull.

I played with some pencils:

Cream
Light Peach
Beige
Putty Beige
Clay Rose
Gingerroot
White
Peach Beige
Seashell Pink

Cream is great, but a little more yellow and very colourful ~ so how to adjust it?

Some ideas... good luck!
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2020, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

You might get some confusing answers here Lizzie. I realised a few years ago that American and British ideas of what the colour 'tan' is are slightly different. (The same goes for 'Khaki').

For Tan, many British people would probably describe a rich colour similar to saddle leather, while Americans tend to think of tan as a much lighter shade than that.

For example to me (I'm British), tan (saddle leather) is a completely different colour to Ecru (which to me is an off-white with no particular hue bias, like undyed linen).

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2020, 02:40 AM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

Just been reading comments and Cluadia I would have taken tan to be a light brown too but then Im Australian had no idea Americans thought it was a light colour more like what I would call bone or beige! Lol
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

My read of the original post:

"I have never found this color" = singular... "a basic tan or ecru color"...again, suggesting a single color, described as "tan or ecru", attempted with a "Light Umber pencil", again all suggest to me a one colour quest. Inferring from that the lighter version of the colour.

I'm not trying to mislead anyone, I thought I was being encouraging and helpful, and lastly, I am not American. Phew!