WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 AM
Scotland

Hails from Scotland
Any suggestions please

Hello
I am very new to coloured pencil but not to the forum, have dabbled in the past with graphite and watercolour. Finding really helpful posts here.

Thoroughly enjoying my venture into cp. Did small picture with grand childrens pencils and treated myself to 24 Faber Castell polychromos.

I perhaps rather foolishly have offered to do a small picture for a a fundraising very close to my heart. The idea is guess the name of the elephant (credit to Bored Panda for image). I wanted to lighten the occasion by putting a suitable quote beside it.

My calligraphy is extremely amateurish. I am fairly happy with elephant, still have to darken some creases but any easy suggestions to improve him welcome. Particularly unhappy with the BORED in the quote, shaky hand. I don't want to clutter picture but is there anything you can think of I could add to detract from it. I wondered about cp doodling of some kind but not sure if that might make it worse. Any suggestions welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Re: Any suggestions please

This is a really cute drawing! I would suggest pumping up the values in the drawing to make him look less 'flat', do you have a photo reference you are working from? If you do, you can use an app to convert it to a black and white image that will help you see where you need to go darker. Early CP artists often make this mistake. 'Arty' is a great phone app that will covert your image and will also offer up different brands of colored pencils that match your drawing making matching colors really helpful. Hope this helps!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 02:48 AM
Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Thank you Lizzy57.

Although in reality it is darker than picture shown, I did a greyscale and put it beside this one. I do indeed need to darken it somewhat to bring out the depth.
Here is the actual image alongside.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2020, 08:37 AM

I would add a bit more definition to the mouth and trunk areas by darkening up the lines around those areas without making it like an outline which can appear like a cartoon. Just subtle shades of intenser value will do the trick. I would also add more pop to the little fella by deepening the pinks of his tongue and forehead, more so on the tongue. Hope this helps!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Queensland

Hails from Australia

I love the theme of this cute drawing and also agree more values are needed but that comes with experience ☺☺