Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Experimenting with this WIP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bobbybirds

So I got up the guts to try this cold prairie sunrise scene as an experiment. I have heard some artists talking about how the make a painting alla prima and then immediately proceed to scrape off the entire thing and then use the results essentially as an under painting. I have always wanted to try this but it is really hard to look at something you have been working diligently on and then just take it all off! Lol! Today I figured “what the heck” and tried just that. I must say I all of a sudden find the painting much more interesting! I am going to let this dry (so now not alla prima) and see where it takes me.

I would love to hear from anyone who does this or has tried it in the past and see if you have any input and tips to offer. Also please feel free to critique this piece I am working on honestly. I am always looking for insights and to improve!

Interesting, I have scraped off some paintings before because I got mad lol but sometime after I scrape off the paint I see more interesting things emerge!

I love this one you did, I thing I admire the bluish grey and the black, the orange yellow complements it.

I would add brush work to the upper portion of the sky to give it some motion and activity, it looks static right now (you gonna work on it more anyway) also add some green in there because it gives the optical nerve a sensation of warmth.

DreyDay

Looks fine to me. I don’t like using alla prima because at least for me I’m very detail oriented and use lots of layering, so obviously using alla prima won’t work for that. You did great though, getting the point across with the colors coming together to create this sunrise. The colors mix in well. You did great with mixing the blues and orange together too, so that they don’t mix too much to create any muddy or greenish tones, so that sky came together nicely.

123harry

I’ve done that frequently, sometimes with a successful outcome sometimes as a half way stage to the bin! This has come out nicely.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

bobbybirds

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks! It really is fun trying something new like this. I need to play more rather than just doing the same/same all the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.