WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom
Celebrating Loose and Impressionistic CP Work

I've always felt that in the CP community there is a very strong bias that achieving maximum photo-realism is what it's all about.

I have a distinct impression that impressionistic, expressive, or loose work is considered by many as unfinished or unskilled, and of less value.

I recently received a PM from someone else who also feels the same way. It feels like a shameful secret that we prefer looking at and making CP pictures that have visible pencil strokes and aren't blended , and that may have taken less than 8 hours to finish!

So, this thread is somewhere to celebrate the more relaxed or looser styles of CP art.

Here's a couple of watercolour pencil pictures I did recently:

Dovecote at Nyman's Garden

Brighton Pavilion

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by KaySilver : 12-23-2019 at 09:23 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Re: Celebrating Loose and Impressionistic CP Work

I love looking at CP art where the mark-making is evident, and I'm not into the blending ~ though I do appreciate those that do. I'm hoping my style, as limited as it is, will develop with a more stroke-in-evidence look. Great pieces! Hopefully we'll see more such style variations.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 03:38 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

I enjoy impressionistic work and like coloured pencils when they are used like pastels, blending blending colours without too much detail.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 05:10 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Wahoo!! Thank you Claudia -- This thread is a great Christmasd present!
It was I who PMed Claudia because she is a Senior member --

So let's keep this thread going forever --

THE LOST DANDELION

SUNRISE ACROSS THE STREET

Thank you again, Claudia! And good holidays to all --

Cheers,
Clair

Last edited by clairmilanovich : 12-24-2019 at 05:13 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Especially like the Brighton Pavillion -- being a lifelong Anglophile -- hsve seen masny image of it -- the centrsl structure there looks like really open space -- I'm impressed-- I've been doing a few tries at a smooth light blue sky -- found the Pablos, Lyra, and Polychromos did the best but Pro colour was right up there..

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I don't want to get into any kind of argument, but I think that all coloured pencil pieces on this forum are given equal time. That is, some, and not necessarily realism, get many more written comments than others. Most get only a look. It seems to be more the subject matter that appeals rather than the realism. WIPS get many more comments. Also you have to ask for C&C or you don't get it. That said, Claudia, I love both your pieces. They do look like watercolours. I follow an artist in Germany who does watercolours of scenes in her home town. Her work is loose and lovely. Your pieces look very similar to hers even though the mediums are not the same. And, Clair, I think that putting your work in this thread makes it more difficult to comment. I think that having your own thread will be better. My daughter-in-law is a professional artist and she has a number of shows a year. Sometimes she doesn't sell a single painting at a show. Very disheartening. But she loves her art and she just carries on. And then someone comes along and buys two or three. And that is exhilarating. So, remember that if you don't post your art here, nobody sees it. Here, even if you don't get a comment you do at least get a look. I don't usually write such long posts, so I hope my comments help and don't hurt. Enjoy the holidays.
Vena
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Thank you Claudia, Clair, and Vena for starting this discussion!

The posted works are lovely. Interesting also to see the subtle differences in the sky studies.

Happy and peaceful holidays!

Mary Flora
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Vena -- I too am a professional artist (Photography, Encaustic-- juried into wo national shows -- I feel much more confident to comment on textured work. It was the Bet Borgeson books where I first learned of the two paths -- I consider her books to be the foundational contributions to CP work and am more than happy to accept her divisions. That's All. For what I'm doing now, I prefer attempts at fine art over illustration. Seeing other work of my ilk helps me grow faster.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Clair, just shows, we all have different tastes in art. I had bought several coloured pencil how to books before I bought one by Bet Borgeson and I was so disappointed. Her style was not to my taste at all. As they say, variety is the spice of life. As long as we are all enjoying our different styles that is all that matters. I am not an artist. I just dabble and get excited about learning about different processes.
Vena
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

I bought her books to learn about working with CP, not for her art -- though I do happen to like most of the ways she handles vegetation -- but her instruction and information about using CPs is lear and everything works! The other instuctional book I love is the Landscape Drawing book that has wonderful art in it -- also a few really nice CP works - it's by Suzanne Brooker. It is mostly concerned with graphite but much of that is applicable to CP -- The graphite drawing were xo exiting that I've started to use graphite in my CP work.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2019, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingpongfan
I don't want to get into any kind of argument, but I think that all coloured pencil pieces on this forum are given equal time. That is, some, and not necessarily realism, get many more written comments than others. Most get only a look. It seems to be more the subject matter that appeals rather than the realism. WIPS get many more comments. Also you have to ask for C&C or you don't get it. That said, Claudia, I love both your pieces. They do look like watercolours. I follow an artist in Germany who does watercolours of scenes in her home town. Her work is loose and lovely. Your pieces look very similar to hers even though the mediums are not the same. And, Clair, I think that putting your work in this thread makes it more difficult to comment. I think that having your own thread will be better. My daughter-in-law is a professional artist and she has a number of shows a year. Sometimes she doesn't sell a single painting at a show. Very disheartening. But she loves her art and she just carries on. And then someone comes along and buys two or three. And that is exhilarating. So, remember that if you don't post your art here, nobody sees it. Here, even if you don't get a comment you do at least get a look. I don't usually write such long posts, so I hope my comments help and don't hurt. Enjoy the holidays.
Vena

Hi Vena and Happy Holidays! Definitely no arguments here! Thread is definitely light-hearted - just giving some festive love to the looser styles!

I absolutely understand what you are saying, and I appreciate the fact that you don't perceive any bias (it says a lot about your own open-minded view of things) but I suppose the whole point of this thread is that rightly or wrongly (and it may well be we are just lacking confidence!), some people including myself do feel inhibited / uncomfortable posting our loose work in separate threads on the main forum, because we worry that it just doesn't belong, and that people will assume it's supposed to be realistic/blended/layered like the other pics posted, but we've just failed through lack of skill! Not everybody has the self-belief and confidence that your daughter-in-law has (I wish I did!).

So I don't think there's any harm in a dedicated thread, to give a bit of attention to the looser styles. Maybe this discussion will give people confidence to post on the main forum in future.

Also, I didn't just start the thread for loose-style-loving folk to post our own pictures - I was actually really hoping to get some discussion going about looser styles in general. I was hoping other people might mention some artists that I haven't heard of, that I could check out for inspiration. That seems to have worked - I'm going to check out Bet Borgeson and Suzanne Brooker right now!

Clair - I really like your dandelion picture. It's nice to see something fresh and different. I love the way a lot of the shapes are very abstract but there's that one instantly recognizable shape among them which gives it all context! Great stuff!

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Here's one of my loose copies from one of the Borgeson books -- -- very early on in my very short CP career!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

OT and apologies--
All of my exploring and experimenting with CPs first led me to graphite , and those two have now led me to pastels --
I have a very old Sargent set from the 1930s but they crumble as soon as I look at them -- so I have (gasp) orered a set of Sennelier soft pastels -- should be here next week --

And that is why I am selling my Luminance 6901 set of CPs in the swap shop!

I will be, at some point, be combining all three media --
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

I love doing loose sketches in colored pencils. I never really have an excuse to post them though.

Here is a page out of my sketchbook. The portraits were done with Pilot Color ENO Mechanical Pencils.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2019, 05:56 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Kirby --
the way you have handled values in those two portraits is wonderful -- you have deft hand with a pencil -- that's for sure! No wonder you like sketching portraits!

Thanks for posting.